Silvia

Happy Birthday, Bruce!

What Bruce means to me, defies description. This is my fourth attempt at writing a simple and sincere birthday wish, but all I have managed so far is some overly sentimental nonsense...

So... Happy Birthday, Bruce!

Thank God you are still here, I know I'm going to need to hear your magical combination of poetic words, and endlessly playable music in my future.

I'll be in the pit next time, this is my promise. 

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

3 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Capture.JPG

Can you imagine us
Years from today
Sharing a park bench quietly?
How terribly strange
To be seventy

I love this.  Billy's a good dude.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Silvia said:

This is my fourth attempt at writing a simple and sincere birthday wish, but all I have managed so far is some overly sentimental nonsense...

I've got nothin' myself.  

Happy Birthday Bruce !

Thanks for all your classic albums and album masterpieces !

Thanks for your unbelievable fantastic songwriting !

Thanks for all your mind blowing concerts !

Simply, thanks for the ultimate ride through all the decades !

I wish you health and happiness !

Long may you run !

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

before i wish Bruce a happy birthday a shout out to @kiwiprofessor who shares his big day with Bruce 

hope you and Mrs Kiwi are happy and well and enjoying your birthday tonight 

Hi Daisey, thanks for the shout out! Had a great day and Mrs Kiwi spoilt me rotten!

• Love Love Love! 1

You’ll see me in the white shirt play/strum Bruce’s guitar from about 2:15 to 2:45 I’m the big brown guy ha. This is from Albany 2014. One of the best moments ever! Thank you and happy birthday Bruce! 

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, kiwiprofessor said:

Happy birthday to my hero, the man who made me feel the magic again. Sail on brother!

very happy to see you and glad you had a great day too !

please say hi to Mrs Kiwi

and next time your driving through Wanganui let me know and I'll put the jug on (give me more notice if you want bickies with the cuppa ;))

Happy birthday, Bruce.  You drew me in with your fury and your compassion, your strength and your flaws, your doubt and your faith.  It’s because of those contradictions that I know I can trust you. Wishing you peace, contentment and health today and always.  

Life is messy, so I thank you especially for Western Stars.   

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

These lines from @Buddhabone   are so prescient to what I wanted to say I should start with them. "taught me to be me, and only me. Thats what Bruce has taught me with his music. "All you need to do is risk being your true self." I was born with secrets that I have carried through my life, and when I heard this music, it taught me to love myself despite them, I cut them loose as they were dragging me down."

I came to Bruce through BITUSA but unlike my peers I stayed with Bruce and it was Darkness that kept me at his metaphorical side. Many of you have read the introvert/extrovert thread so you know I live in my head. If you want a musician to speak to an introvert you need to go beyond a Justin Beiber (no offense Justin). You need someone with something real and resonant to say. Someone worth having a conversation in your head with. Not someone whose lyrics sends your brain off into a mental stocktake of what is in the pantry. Bruce was and is that for me. Additionally I was not born with secrets but beeping heck I had some thrust upon me and that line about cutting them loose before they drag you down still hits me years after I managed to do just that. I have always felt that Bruce knew he was liberating others, not just himself, with those lines. I thank him for it. And for getting me off my arse and dancing through many three hour sets. I love Bruce and I don't even care that he doesn't even know I exist. One of the rare cases of unrequited love working out for both parties.

Happy Birthday old man. May you get much, much, much older and enjoy every darn second of it.

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 2

Great to read all these wonderful words what Springsteen meant in oh so many lives for them.

A dazzling 70, where I myself am a dazzling, for myself really, 60 plus sth.

Have been with his music since autumn 1975. BtR was on the Dutch, yes, Netherlands is where I reside, radio and that one just blew me away. A boy at 16, never heard of him before but that particular dj, just kept on playing that one, each and every evening at 18.30 hrs sharp.

Then the BtR album came out, we, a friend and me, rushed out to our local record store and had a listen. Like that one song did do, the whole album blew us away. Who was this, hell, what was this, what's happening to us...

So from that point, Bruce came into my life and he never left, no. Still part of daily nutrition, so the speak.

So came 1987 upon us, Darkness arrived, and again, we were amazed at what we heard. And read, those lyrics.

In between Greetings and Wild, Innocent were met with great enthusiasm, how could I have overlooked those two?

Anyway, The River came, Nebraska, worldwide stardom came, for Bruce yes, not for me of course and somehow things changed at that point. His music was all over the radio, so, somehow, it was not MY Bruce anymore. Therefor perhaps Born Usa my least favo album.

What would happen next?. So he came up with Tunnel and I was amazed again. That's the same man who faced hlobal stardom?. Yes, indeed. But for me, a great record. The followed the years not on E-street, Human and Lucky, though for me, not so lucky years. Human was overproduced, though had some great songs, title track e.g. Lucky was better but still, there was sth missing. Lost years, he himself said so, later.

Then came the live album, Bruce back on E-street, yeah, that was what I was waiting for. 

The Rising into the 00 years and all the rest up to now, Western Stars, which, by the way is up here while writing, or rather, trying to write these lines.

WS a perfect album for a guy who just turned 70 but also a perfect one for a guy who is in his 60s now, so the autumn of life is looking down on him, me i.e.

I laughed with his music, I cried with his music, it brought me cheers and hoorays, it offered solace where it could and should.  Can't really imagine a life without this singbook, hell, can't really imagine a life for myself if there hadn't been that restless boy from Jersey who changed lives in some degree.

So, yes, happy happy birthday, you old(er)man, keep on doing what you have been doing, raise yer glasses and say cheers, prost or skåll, it all means the same.

A toast to life itself and all that was in it. Has been a hell of a ride but worth every second so far. If that can be achieved, simply thru music then we have a mission accomplished really. The impossible made possible.

So there you go, after all these years. 

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2

2 hours ago, JimCT said:

Makes sense that Rutgers, the State University of NJ, would have a class on Bruce :D 

https://news.rutgers.edu/qa/rutgers-professor-reflects-springsteens-legacy-ahead-bosss-70th-birthday/20190730

Princeton had a course as well.  Don’t know if they still do...