Greasy Lake Community

1985 - Bruce helping the striking miners

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had heard about Bruces donation to miners during the 1985 strike but first I've seen about it - close to home: https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/the-only-boss-listen-to-1367173

As a Trade Union rep ( Unite the Union)  this is my fav Bruce Springsteen pic EVER ! 

Aye, I was well proud of our boy then. Would've been easy to listen to the reactionary garbage being peddled as fact during that (poisonous) time but he did his own research.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Mack boy said:

A couple of years ago but the miners union hadn't forgotten his generosity:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/911550278297669632

I remember seeing this tweet during half time of one of our matches that season. I was blown away to read that my favourite artist did this then and it's still something that fills me with pride now. 

Like you say, mate, it's very close to home. 

• Like 1

Of course it's well-remembered.

I remember saying that was a nice gesture - gave money to other areas, too. I also remember saying that I hoped he gave money to the family of the man who was killed when striking miners threw a boulder from a bridge onto the taxi he was travelling in.

Bet nobody told him about that.

• Like 4
On 9/25/2019 at 11:07 AM, BruceWho said:

I recall MY HOMETOWN being quite poignant a the St James Park gig in 1985 (press reported people with tears in their eyes)   

It was not tears, it was flies, trust me i was there, no tears just damn flies..lots of the little pesky fuckers !

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
9 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

It was not tears, it was flies, trust me i was there, no tears just damn flies..lots of the little pesky fuckers !

Ha! Nice try Roy - "I" was there too...…….remember lots of great things about it but strangely don't recall any flies!!?...…...time to own up / man up ha!, take this first little step here among friends and build yourself up to going to the cinema on your own...…...you can do it!, c'mon!!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, BruceWho said:

Ha! Nice try Roy - "I" was there too...…….remember lots of great things about it but strangely don't recall any flies!!?...…...time to own up / man up ha!, take this first little step here among friends and build yourself up to going to the cinema on your own...…...you can do it!, c'mon!!

He doesn't need to. Hey, @newcastle roy - there's a seat next to me up for grabs. PM me if you're up for it - I'll even supply the hankies. :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

LOL. If only he could have a conversation  or two with some of the ex miners I met when I worked in a former South Yorkshire mining town . He might well conclude he wasted his money spreading all that brotherly love.  Certainly opened my eyes (sorry can't go into too much detail - relates to current UK politics etc) 

14 minutes ago, Demos said:

LOL. If only he could have a conversation  or two with some of the ex miners I met when I worked in a former South Yorkshire mining town . He might well conclude he wasted his money spreading all that brotherly love.  Certainly opened my eyes (sorry can't go into too much detail - relates to current UK politics etc) 

Oooo … pm me. I'm agog.

You can't mean it didn't always get to the families?

• 1 year later...

During the BIUSA tour, Bruce Springsteen started this habit with donating checks to non-profit organizations. “No one knew we existed until the Boss said this is a good thing to contribute to. After that, even high school students came in to volunteer.” A year later some were still helping out. Maybe some of those non-profit organizations still exist today.

In working with community groups, Springsteen wasn’t looking for any publicity for himself—although working with them did help to take some of the media pressure off. Since he wasn’t doing any interviews his support for the food banks and other community groups gave the media something else to cover. Asked by the press why Springsteen didn’t make a statement explaining his actions, Barbara Carr simply replied, “This is his statement,” and that threw the reporters right back into the arms of the community groups, who wanted and needed the extra attention. He talked about fighting for your community, about the importance of a home-town, about the ways in which joblessness robbed people not only of subsistence but of their human dignity. And he signed off with a slogan that was also a pledge: “Remember, nobody wins unless everybody wins.” There were those on the left who’d argue that this was “just charity,” but in fact, by asserting the reality of impoverishment for so many (whose existence both political parties tried to down-play or deny), he was asking the well-off customers at his concerts to face serious questions about their own lives. 

The money wouldn’t go far, given the scale of poverty, but it would be reported in all the reviews, and a press conference could be held the next day, announcing the donations and soliciting both more funds and greater community involvement. 

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
On 9/25/2019 at 8:37 AM, Eileen said:

Bet nobody told him about that.

To be fair Bruce couldn’t have been kept informed of everything that was happening in the UK as he was only there for a short while. 

Paul Weller knew about it and 50:50’d the money realised from a Red Wedge benefit between the miners’ fund and the taxi driver’s family.

• Like 1
Just now, muscum said:

To be fair Bruce couldn’t have been kept informed of everything that was happening in the UK as he was only there for a short while. 

Paul Weller knew about it and 50:50’d the money realised from a Red Wedge benefit between the miners’ fund and the taxi driver’s family.

I hadn't heard that. Good for him.

Yes, I realise that Bruce wouldn't have known. Just irked me at the time.

Still does. :D

• Like 1

Yeah, it was a shit time and unfortunately we still live in Thatcher’s Britain. Society can never roll back her drive into selfishness and callousness and greed.

8 minutes ago, Eileen said:

I hadn't heard that. Good for him.

Yes, I realise that Bruce wouldn't have known. Just irked me at the time.

Still does. :D

• Love Love Love! 2
2 hours ago, muscum said:

Yeah, it was a shit time and unfortunately we still live in Thatcher’s Britain. Society can never roll back her drive into selfishness and callousness and greed.

Yes, that's the excuse some still roll out to excuse their lack of desire for change.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, muscum said:

Well I did some digging into the matter: the taxi driver was killed on 1st december 1984. that's 7 months before the BIUSA concert in St James Park. And that taxi driver was killed in Wales, certainly not the same region as Newcastle.

From the archive, 1 December 1984: Taxi driver killed by striking miners | The miners' strike 1984-85 | The Guardian

And I you look close enough to the picture of the cheque you will see that it is written to the order of "Northumberland + Durham Miners support group", that is not essentially the same thing as the miner association itself. And I sincerely belief that the Springsteen management was well aware of what happened but choose to support the families from the strike fallout (the strike by the time Springsteen arrived had already formally ended in March). And my point in reviving this topic is that the miners strike was a lost cause but they still not have forgotten the support of Bruce Springsteen, 'The only Boss we listen to' - How Bruce Springsteen helped feed miners and their families