Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

1985 - Bruce helping the striking miners


Mack boy
 Share

Recommended Posts

I made the original post and good to see interest in it again. Although the mines are long gone the North East region is keen to keep it's heritage, while moving on. Gestures such as the donation from Bruce will be long remembered and appreciated.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/7/2021 at 10:50 PM, Eileen said:

Yes, that's the excuse some still roll out to excuse their lack of desire for change.

Yes, and "Yes, that's the excuse some still roll out to excuse their lack of desire for change" is the excuse some still roll out to excuse the "drive into selfishness and callousness and greed"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, ulfhpersson said:

Yes, and "Yes, that's the excuse some still roll out to excuse their lack of desire for change" is the excuse some still roll out to excuse the "drive into selfishness and callousness and greed"

I didn't fall into that category. Ever.  I'm from mining stock - coal and tin - and I can't recall any of my relatives succumbing to those things mentioned.

I know of others who did though ... and they tend to be the ones who shout about Thatcher. Thirty plus years of excuses.

BTW Bruce giving money to the mining families was a good thing, unions are a good thing (in general) ... more power to his elbow.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Eileen said:

I didn't fall into that category. Ever.  I'm from mining stock - coal and tin - and I can't recall any of my relatives succumbing to those things mentioned.

I know of others who did though ... and they tend to be the ones who shout about Thatcher. Thirty plus years of excuses.

BTW Bruce giving money to the mining families was a good thing, unions are a good thing (in general) ... more power to his elbow.

very well said Aunty 

and hats off to miners everywhere 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Eileen said:

I didn't fall into that category. Ever.  I'm from mining stock - coal and tin - and I can't recall any of my relatives succumbing to those things mentioned.

I know of others who did though ... and they tend to be the ones who shout about Thatcher. Thirty plus years of excuses.

BTW Bruce giving money to the mining families was a good thing, unions are a good thing (in general) ... more power to his elbow.

Well, I was pointing finger to the word "change". It is not in this world always a good thing for the majority. Trump changed the taxes for the 1%, and they do now days pay no taxes at all; the majority has experienced the following change: harder and more jobs, but VERY SMALL or no raising income since the 70s. And the Unions? Well, they have been worked against by the industry and government, by propaganda and violence, since they were established. And Mr Springsteen solidarity with the working class and its unions is not something that for him is capricious, external, but something that belongs to the core of his creativity, something i have tried to show in the essay "The River".

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, catfish said:

'' canoe gate ''

Oh, here we go again :rolleyes:

"To recap: Michael Batlan, 38, who worked as Bruce’s guitar technician, and Douglas Sutphin, 36, a drum technician, primarily claimed that the Boss owed them overtime pay, unlawfully fined them, and failed to observe federal and state labor laws during their 10-year tenures. Batlan also claimed Springsteen breached an oral contract to pay him ”slightly less” than what he paid the band. Denying all charges, Springsteen said he had fulfilled his responsibilities to the roadies ”three times, four times, 10 times over.”

If the case had gone to trial and the roadies had won, their claims for overtime could have forced major changes in the rock concert business. (Rock crews do not earn an hourly wage, and this case could have set a precedent.) As it turned out, the suit was more notable for its down-and-dirty tactics, with each side calling the other a liar. For the roadies, that meant taking aim at Springsteen’s blue-collar, true-to-his-roots image. ”Bruce is not what he appears to be,” said Batlan, who tried to paint the Boss as a former friend gone fatheaded on fame and money. The roadies’ attorneys used the pretrial discovery process for a wide-ranging fishing expedition, going so far in one deposition as to ask Springsteen if he had beaten his girlfriends.

The Boss responded by portraying Batlan and Sutphin as drug users who had jeopardized one of his tours by smuggling pot into Japan. He charged Batlan with bootlegging demo tapes, and characterized the pair as incompetents kept on for sentimental reasons. ”They were the last two local guys,” he said.

Attacks on character came from both sides. In one deposition the roadies’ lawyers asked the star if he had ever heard of Woody Guthrie — the folksinger whose Depression-era songs about the downtrodden Springsteen has recorded. The Boss exploded. ”I don’t mean to be rude,” an exasperated Springsteen said, ”but to equate Mike and Doug with beleaguered factory workers from the ’30s or migrant laborers — two guys that are making $50,000 a year and walked out with almost a quarter of a million dollars between them — is, excuse my English, f— ing ridiculous.”

 

This topic is about Bruce Springsteen supporting the miner families and how they still not have forgotten that support. Don't think those miners "making $50,000 a year and walked out with almost a quarter of a million dollars”

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know this topic has kinda closed but I have just watched a stunning Channel 5 documentary "Mrs Thatcher Vs The Miners" and I highly recommend it to those with an interest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, muscum said:

I know this topic has kinda closed but I have just watched a stunning Channel 5 documentary "Mrs Thatcher Vs The Miners" and I highly recommend it to those with an interest.

Mrs Thatcher versus Mr Scargill might have been a more apt title.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Mrs Thatcher versus millions of hard working honest community people was the working title, but they changed it at the last minute.

My dad worked during the strike - he was a deputy. It was his job to make sure the pit was safe for when those who were striking came back.

I was worried about him being hurt - he was actually seriously injured earlier when a roof caved in on him - by those trying to block his way.  I asked him if he'd had anybody yelling that he was a 'scab'. He just gave one of his quiet smiles - mam said 'They wouldn't dare'.

Different sides to this. Most people were on the side of the miners - of course they were (me included obviously, and dad) - but then we saw the violence and Scargill's handling of it.  Yes, Thatcher's, too.  Then the man killed in the taxi by a boulder thrown by a demonstrator. Views changed.

For those who don't know ... my grandad (dad's dad) was killed (gassed) down the pit in 1954. I was 2 and still remember, clearly, people at the door telling mam that George Francis Harris had been in an accident. She said that dad was upstairs in bed and I knew he wasn't, not understanding she was in shock.  The age must have been mentioned and the penny dropped - dad and his dad both had identical names ... it was grandad.  Mam lifted me up and ran with me to Nana's house.  I've probably said all this before, mebbies in the earlier bits, but it's brought it all back to me.

Mining's in our blood.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Debate away ... just remember that there are folk who were there and who don't rely on hearsay.

Listen to all sides - it'll do you well in times to come.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Bogey : No, I don't, dear, no. No, that particular avenue of pleasure has been closed off. Sybil Fawlty : And we don't want it opened up again, do we Bogey?

I thought you'd be back. Go ahead, Basil - brandish your branch and get the thread closed down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/11/2021 at 7:52 AM, el sergio said:

Oh, here we go again :rolleyes:

"To recap: Michael Batlan, 38, who worked as Bruce’s guitar technician, and Douglas Sutphin, 36, a drum technician, primarily claimed that the Boss owed them overtime pay, unlawfully fined them, and failed to observe federal and state labor laws during their 10-year tenures. Batlan also claimed Springsteen breached an oral contract to pay him ”slightly less” than what he paid the band. Denying all charges, Springsteen said he had fulfilled his responsibilities to the roadies ”three times, four times, 10 times over.”

If the case had gone to trial and the roadies had won, their claims for overtime could have forced major changes in the rock concert business. (Rock crews do not earn an hourly wage, and this case could have set a precedent.) As it turned out, the suit was more notable for its down-and-dirty tactics, with each side calling the other a liar. For the roadies, that meant taking aim at Springsteen’s blue-collar, true-to-his-roots image. ”Bruce is not what he appears to be,” said Batlan, who tried to paint the Boss as a former friend gone fatheaded on fame and money. The roadies’ attorneys used the pretrial discovery process for a wide-ranging fishing expedition, going so far in one deposition as to ask Springsteen if he had beaten his girlfriends.

The Boss responded by portraying Batlan and Sutphin as drug users who had jeopardized one of his tours by smuggling pot into Japan. He charged Batlan with bootlegging demo tapes, and characterized the pair as incompetents kept on for sentimental reasons. ”They were the last two local guys,” he said.

Attacks on character came from both sides. In one deposition the roadies’ lawyers asked the star if he had ever heard of Woody Guthrie — the folksinger whose Depression-era songs about the downtrodden Springsteen has recorded. The Boss exploded. ”I don’t mean to be rude,” an exasperated Springsteen said, ”but to equate Mike and Doug with beleaguered factory workers from the ’30s or migrant laborers — two guys that are making $50,000 a year and walked out with almost a quarter of a million dollars between them — is, excuse my English, f— ing ridiculous.”

 

This topic is about Bruce Springsteen supporting the miner families and how they still not have forgotten that support. Don't think those miners "making $50,000 a year and walked out with almost a quarter of a million dollars”

And now, many years later, he’s a Broadway star charging prices for his one-man show that the blue collar man or woman would have to forego buying groceries for a month to be able to attend.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jon Landau and Co. knew exactly what they were at and how it all fitted the ‘Everyman’ they had created in Bruce’s new caricature. They gave money to the striking Dunne’s Stores workers in Ireland - striking heroically because they refused to handle South African produce. See a popular cause, support it financially, pretend it’s done quietly and it all adds to the legend. Like Bruce said, ‘everybody wins’ - including Bruce and Jon Landau.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...