Greasy Lake Community

1985 - Bruce helping the striking miners

Mack boy

7 hours ago, ghostoftom said:

Jon Landau and Co. knew exactly what they were at and how it all fitted the ‘Everyman’ they had created in Bruce’s new caricature. They gave money to the striking Dunne’s Stores workers in Ireland - striking heroically because they refused to handle South African produce. See a popular cause, support it financially, pretend it’s done quietly and it all adds to the legend. Like Bruce said, ‘everybody wins’ - including Bruce and Jon Landau.

To impute motivations like the ones in the text above is arrogant.

11 minutes ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Corrected that for you dear....;)

It may well be that I'm 'different'. You don't know me - or my frailties.  Good to know I have you there, looking out for me.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ulfhpersson said:

To impute motivations like the ones in the text above is arrogant.

Really? I suspect it was pretty much spot on. I bet a group of striking white collar civil servants or local council staff wouldn't have grabbed his attention. It fitted Bruce's image to support earthy blue collar types etc and his core middle class left leaning audience would have approved. In the long run he'd been better off giving his money to environmental causes.

51 minutes ago, ghostoftom said:

To ignore them is naivety.

true, you have to criticize them for what they are: nothing but subjective and moralistic assertions about a persons reasons and intentions about of which we know nothing.