stillilllife

What are your unpopular non-Bruce music opinions?

well if you really want to know :lol:

i do not like Sting or Bono (or U2)

or Mark knoffler either 

i hardly listen to anything except Bruce (this can be very unpopular!) as i don't listen to much else 

i always loved country music - in the 90s i got such a hard time for Johhny cash. Year's latter my friend's boyfriend confessed to her that maybe Nicky was right ! :lol:

i do not enjoy most NZ music (the Finn brothers are overrated)

i also do not like midnight oil

although im happy he is still alive please i never want to hear or see Jimmy barnes live ever again - are you listening Frontier touring ? :angry:

i like this Aussie country singer John Williamson and everyone around me hates his music

at high school (1980s) my unpopular opinion was American music was better than British - i still stand by that

one of my favourites non Bruce songs is we built this city on R&R and it often tops worst song lists

i like the Eagles 

i don't listen to the radio if i can help it

i absolutly hate rap and im not too keen on reggae but im ok with disco

i played the french horn at high school (the cool kids played trumpet)

i only come to the forum to check the obituaries :D

....let me just get my hat and I'll  be off :lol:

i still watch and enjoy old school music videos

i have always loved ABBA even when it was very very uncool

• Haha 1

Elvis Presley; Great ballad singer but that's about it as far as I am concerned. The rock and roll stuff does nothing for me and I have always believed his looks were a huge factor in his popularity and success. 

Queen; Nothing more than a glorified overhyped glam rock outfit. Freddie was a talented, charismatic front man, but their music is just over the top blandness.

The 1980's were the last great decade of pop music. I loved it. Incredible how many people's favourite songs are 80's songs.

Abba were brilliant. The best pure pop band ever.

U2 are the greatest rock band since Led Zeppelin, and the only live act to even get near to Bruce.

Prince was a brilliant musician and hugely talented, I just don't like his songs.

The Stones were a great band up until about 1972, but have been totally mediocre since..and they are hugely overrated as a live act.

Pink Floyd bore me to death. Good musicians, but their music is just sleep inducing.

CD's will never disappear, and listening to music blasting through speakers either in a car or in your living room/bedroom is still the best way to hear it. 

Robbie Williams is the biggest con man there has ever been in music..the best example of someone with no talent whatsoever making it big through marketing and hype alone.

• Like 3

Some random thoughts in the early morning (past 1.30. a.m. now) and some of them are maybe not unpopular opinions at all:

Rubber Soul is the greatest Beatles album and Sgt.Pepper is the most overrated album of all time. Sgt. Pepper also sounds very dated now, stuck in the summer of love, while an album like Love's Forever Changes still sounds very great (but Sgt. Pepper was never a great album anyway).

More Beatles: Hey Jude is a contender for the most overrated song of all time. It is not a good song and it is dull beyond words. It goes on and on and on until it seems it is never going to end.

The Unforgettable Fire is the greatest U2 album, not The Joshua Tree. Achtung Baby is also better than the Joshua Tree (which is still a great album, don't get me wrong). October is one of the greatest U2 albums, maybe a better album than War, which has a very great Side 1 but a not-so-great- Side 2.

I don't like David Bowie. (I don't deny his great influence).

R.E.M. is the greatest band of the 80s.

The greatest Smiths album -regular studio album- is not The Queen Is Dead but Strangeways Here We Come. But their really greatest album is the compilation album The World Won't Listen, as the Smiths were better on 45 than on 33.

In addition to the OP, Siamese Dream by the Smashing Pumpkins is a better album than Nevermind (not saying Nevermind is not a great album).

I'm not quite objective in this as Richard (& Linda) Thompson is (are) maybe my favourite artist except Bruce, but: while Richard Thompson is a well-respected cult artist, it seems his guitar skills are still underrated (compared to his songwriting).

Dylan's 80s albums are very underrated.

The last 4 Talking Heads albums are somewhat underrated compared to their first 4.

The Doors made some fantastic music, which are in general their most well-known songs, their 'greatest hits'. I don't like 'songs' like The End and When The Music Is Over.

Rust Never Sleeps is a very overrated Neil Young album because of Powderfinger and the My My, Hey Hey and Hey Hey, My My songs. The other songs on the album are not really good songs.

Townes Van Zandt is one of the greatest songwriters of all time (But I'm not going to stand on the coffee table to say that).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, took me long enough said:

This is gonna be a great thread :)

alcohol would set it on fire :lol:

• Haha 2

I don't have any unpopular non-Bruce musical opinions.  I've got impeccable music taste and no one can argue with that.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Beatles were great until 1966/67 then the albums, apart from the odd track, went downhill.

• Like 3

The White Stripes are boring.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

The White Stripes are boring.

Boring :lol:

i don't even know who they are :lol:

12 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Boring :lol:

i don't even know who they are :lol:

You should really listen to some non-Bruce music Daisey....

And you likely know Seven Nation Army even if not knowing it is The White Stripes.

13 minutes ago, Lampi said:

You should really listen to some non-Bruce music Daisey....

And you likely know Seven Nation Army even if not knowing it is The White Stripes.

i googled u tube

h o l y     c o w 

111,000 comments and  2.2 million likes

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i googled u tube

h o l y     c o w 

111,000 comments and  2.2 million likes

So do you recognize Seven Nation Army?

Seven Nation Army is an unmemorable track.  It has never stuck in my head at all.

11 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Seven Nation Army is an unmemorable track.  It has never stuck in my head at all.

I bought the Elephant album back in 2003 and listened to it a bit then. I haven't listened to the song myself since then though, but seeing as it's being played at a majority of sports events I've heard it a lot through the years and especially the main riff. That riff is a modern classic and I thought those times (of classic riffs such as Satisfaction or Iron man) were past us really, so it's a really cool achievement I think.

The 60s was, is, will always be the greatest decade in popular music in terms of creativity, originality and the way the music influenced western culture. No other decade since (except the 70s in some cases) comes close. 

17 minutes ago, JustDan said:

The 60s was, is, will always be the greatest decade in popular music in terms of creativity, originality and the way the music influenced western culture. No other decade since (except the 70s in some cases) comes close. 

Hm, that's not really an unpopular opinion though...?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, stillilllife said:

Hm, that's not really an unpopular opinion though...?

To some of the youngsters here it might be. I would be willing to bet my opinion gets at least 3-4 unagreed responses. 

7 hours ago, Eileen said:

The Beatles were great until 1966/67 then the albums, apart from the odd track, went downhill.

'Abbey Rd' is a Masterpiece. Now say you're sorry please.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stillilllife said:

So do you recognize Seven Nation Army?

nope :(

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Lampi said:

Some random thoughts in the early morning (past 1.30. a.m. now) and some of them are maybe not unpopular opinions at all:

Rubber Soul is the greatest Beatles album and Sgt.Pepper is the most overrated album of all time. Sgt. Pepper also sounds very dated now, stuck in the summer of love, while an album like Love's Forever Changes still sounds very great (but Sgt. Pepper was never a great album anyway).

More Beatles: Hey Jude is a contender for the most overrated song of all time. It is not a good song and it is dull beyond words. It goes on and on and on until it seems it is never going to end.

The Unforgettable Fire is the greatest U2 album, not The Joshua Tree. Achtung Baby is also better than the Joshua Tree (which is still a great album, don't get me wrong). October is one of the greatest U2 albums, maybe a better album than War, which has a very great Side 1 but a not-so-great- Side 2.

I don't like David Bowie. (I don't deny his great influence).

R.E.M. is the greatest band of the 80s.

The greatest Smiths album -regular studio album- is not The Queen Is Dead but Strangeways Here We Come. But their really greatest album is the compilation album The World Won't Listen, as the Smiths were better on 45 than on 33.

In addition to the OP, Siamese Dream by the Smashing Pumpkins is a better album than Nevermind (not saying Nevermind is not a great album).

I'm not quite objective in this as Richard (& Linda) Thompson is (are) maybe my favourite artist except Bruce, but: while Richard Thompson is a well-respected cult artist, it seems his guitar skills are still underrated (compared to his songwriting).

Dylan's 80s albums are very underrated.

The last 4 Talking Heads albums are somewhat underrated compared to their first 4.

The Doors made some fantastic music, which are in general their most well-known songs, their 'greatest hits'. I don't like 'songs' like The End and When The Music Is Over.

Rust Never Sleeps is a very overrated Neil Young album because of Powderfinger and the My My, Hey Hey and Hey Hey, My My songs. The other songs on the album are not really good songs.

Townes Van Zandt is one of the greatest songwriters of all time (But I'm not going to stand on the coffee table to say that).

Wow!!  So much of my music is covered in this post that I feel like I should comment on at least some of it.

"Rubber Soul" is a great album.  Definitely in the top 3 or 4 Beatles albums....but Sgt Pepper, most overrated of all time?  This is simply untrue.   Yes, it is more highly rated than just about any rock album ever produced, but anything with "A Day in the Life" on it should never be referred to as "never a great album anyway."  That being said Sgt. Pepper is not in my top 5 Beatles albums.

"Hey Jude" is an inspiring song that can bring people to tears in concert.  Overrated it is not.

U2, meh, I enjoy them but there's much better out there.

David Bowie is a boss.  He was weird before it was cool to be weird.

R.E.M. is the greatest band of the 80's.

The Smiths are impeccable.  Very little that they did wrong.  I prefer "Louder Than Bombs" but I would still put Queen Is Dead over Strangeways, but Paint a Vulgar Picture might be my favorite Smith's song.

Nevermind > Siamese Dream;    Nirvana > Smashing Pumpkins

Dylan and R&L Thompson aren't really blips on my radar.

The Talking Heads are terrific all the way through.  They really grew as a band like few others.  So, I will agree that the last 4 are maybe better than the first four.   The Name of This Band Is the Talking Heads is one of the greatest live albums available.

The Doors are more miss than hit.

Rust Never Sleeps is one of the greatest rock albums of all time.  Neil Young comes through with a masterpiece relatively late in his career.  Most rock musicians are creatively depleted by the age of 30.  Neil crushed it with RNS at the age of 34.  'Pocahontas' is maybe my favorite song of his.

TVZ, meh.