stillilllife

What are your unpopular non-Bruce music opinions?

sonic how can you say what you do about The Smiths and The Talking Heads, that they're unpopular opinions?  Most people on the planet would agree with you on Talking Heads especially, those that love innovation and great music anyway.  

1 minute ago, Pregnant Sally said:

sonic how can you say what you do about The Smiths and The Talking Heads, that they're unpopular opinions?  Most people on the planet would agree with you on Talking Heads especially, those that love innovation and great music anyway.  

I was merely responding directly to Lampi's post.   Most of my input there is probably pretty popular.

I'll have to come up with my own list of unpopular opinions when I get some time.

• Like 1

Here's my own list of unpopular(?) rock opinions....

Paul was the most talented but least cool of the Beatles.

The Rolling Stones were really good for only about ten years.   And The Who for about six years...though they both could still bring it live for many more years.

Every band has jumped the shark...the Stones have just done it the most, and The Who are trying to catch up

If your first album is your best album, you're more lucky than good.  I'm talking to you, Jim Morrison.

While I wouldn't want to watch, I wish that Joe Cocker and Janis Joplin procreated in the sixties.  Their kids would be spectacular singers.

Eddie Van Halen completely wasted his talent with songs about getting wasted and picking up girls.

Stevie Ray Vaughn did his best work on David Bowie's "Let's Dance" album.

The last truly great rock album was probably Nirvana's "Nevermind" in 1991, but I can be convinced otherwise.

Bands like Sebadoh, Guided by Voices, the Pixies, the Feelies, Dinosaur Jr., Sonic Youth, X, Yo La Tengo, Pavement, Bob Mould/Sugar/Husker Du, and firehose don't get nearly enough recognition....and I like it that way.

• Like 1

That stupid little 'squeal' Michael Jackson used in his records is as irritating as Hell

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JustDan said:

'Abbey Rd' is a Masterpiece. Now say you're sorry please.

It really isn't.

• Like 1

Joe Satriani is a genius and has made probably the best guitar based rock music of the last 27 years.

The Pet Shop Boys rock.

Muse are the greatest British band of the last 20 years.

Shostakovich's 8th is his best 

Van Morrison is pantsy grandad music. 

43 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

I love both the Pet Shop Boys and Muse.  

Yes, a very unpopular, non-Bruce opinion.  :) 

18 hours ago, Lampi said:

Rubber Soul is the greatest Beatles album

'What Goes On' and 'Run For Your Life' are possibly the worst songs they ever released. Pity because most of the rest of the album is pretty terrific.

1 hour ago, Eileen said:

It really isn't.

I'm sorry, but I simply won't tolerate this type of insolence. Your zebra crossing permit is hereby revoked.

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

'What Goes On' and 'Run For Your Life' are possibly the worst songs they ever released. Pity because most of the rest of the album is pretty terrific.

Those two would definitely be in the bottom ten.

1 hour ago, Eileen said:

It really isn't.

The Sage, Gateshead on 6 May 2020 - The Bootleg Beatles with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra will play the whole album and it will sound magnificent.

Set you back a good few quid mind!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pregnant Sally said:

I love both the Pet Shop Boys and Muse.  

I love the Pet Shop Boys.
I haven't really listened to Muse much as I don't like the singer's voice.

8 hours ago, stillilllife said:

I bought the Elephant album back in 2003 and listened to it a bit then. I haven't listened to the song myself since then though, but seeing as it's being played at a majority of sports events I've heard it a lot through the years and especially the main riff. That riff is a modern classic and I thought those times (of classic riffs such as Satisfaction or Iron man) were past us really, so it's a really cool achievement I think.

Whereas there are lots of undisputed classic riffs that are lodged in my brain, I couldn't even hum 7NA now even though I listened to it earlier today.

I'll piss a few people off with this, especially Took Me Look Enough and Dan.

I can't stand Tom Petty.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, MacBruce said:

U2 are the greatest rock band since Led Zeppelin, and the only live act to even get near to Bruce.

This statement tells me without doubt that you have not seen the Drive-By Truckers live.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I'll piss a few people off with this, especially Took Me Look Enough and Dan.

I can't stand Tom Petty.

Are you not allowed to dislike artists others' like?  

Come on Jimbo.  

4 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Are you not allowed to dislike artists others' like?  

Come on Jimbo.      No...

5 hours ago, sonicramone said:

Bands like Sebadoh, Guided by Voices, the Pixies, the Feelies, Dinosaur Jr., Sonic Youth, X, Yo La Tengo, Pavement, Bob Mould/Sugar/Husker Du, and firehose don't get nearly enough recognition....and I like it that way.

Not recognition in album sales, but for sure critical recognition (some bands more than others; and I am not familiair with all bands I must say).

Especially recognition for Hüsker Dü and Pixies as a huge influence on, and paving the way for, the grunge bands, and for Sonic Youth as the 'elder statesmen' of alternative rock.

Recognition for The Feelies for the influence of their fantastic and very great first album on many 80s bands (described as 'the missing link between Velvet Underground and R.E.M.'). (The right answer of course is: not only their first album, but all their albums are fantastic and very great albums and that is, indeed, the right answer:)).

• Like 1

I hate Love In An Elevator, doesn't mean anyone has to.  

But it is the worst song ever committed to tape in the history of the music cosmos so dunno know why anyone would like it.  

9 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

But it is the worst song ever committed to tape in the history of the music cosmos  

I guess you don't know The Smurf Song by Father Abraham And The Smurfs.

9 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

But it is the worst song ever committed to tape in the history of the music cosmos

Isn't this song worse?:

5 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

That stupid little 'squeal' Michael Jackson used in his records is as irritating as Hell

I'll be hearing it in my head all day now :angry:

thanks for that 

(hearing it now)

• Haha 1

i really like Phil Collins 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i really like Phil Collins 

Could be an unpopular opinion. But not as unpopular as someone saying he/she likes Sting.

Edit: Maybe an unpopular opinion: the Police made some very great singles, but they never made a really great album. A singles band (and nothing wrong with that).

• Like 2