stillilllife

What are your unpopular non-Bruce music opinions?

8 minutes ago, soulcrusader78 said:

[DELETED]

(fuck it - music fans can be too intolerant of an intelligent voice of dissent)

no ! :o

this is the thread to have your say :)

I don't get The Beatles.

The compilation album Number Ones is great and shows how they / George Martin could craft a pop song and raise the bar.  But, the adoration baffles me.  Every single album (Yes Sgt Pepper, Abbey Road, Revolver, I'm talking to you) has dross on it.  I revisited Abbey Road via the new remaster and skipped half of it.

There's no doubt that if they hadn't existed then the musical landscape would be entirely different, so kudos for that.  But, all that worshipfulness?  Nah, don't get it.

• Like 4

Oh, I can't stand the Strolling Bones, either.  Jagger prancing around on stage looks absolutely ridiculous.  They died as a valid band at the end of the 70s.  Since then?  Cartoons.

• Haha 1

Anderson / Ulvaeus write better melodies, hooks and choruses than Lennon / McCartney.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Oh, I can't stand the Strolling Bones, either.  Jagger prancing around on stage looks absolutely ridiculous.  They died as a valid band at the end of the 70s.  Since then?  Cartoons.

60s I'd say. Loved their early songs but since then?  Meh, as the saying goes.

On 10/1/2019 at 6:41 AM, JustDan said:

The 60s was, is, will always be the greatest decade in popular music in terms of creativity, originality and the way the music influenced western culture. No other decade since (except the 70s in some cases) comes close. 

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/out-the-ooze/201910/why-old-people-hate-new-music

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Promise61 said:

I don't get The Beatles.

The compilation album Number Ones is great and shows how they / George Martin could craft a pop song and raise the bar.  But, the adoration baffles me.  Every single album (Yes Sgt Pepper, Abbey Road, Revolver, I'm talking to you) has dross on it.  I revisited Abbey Road via the new remaster and skipped half of it.

There's no doubt that if they hadn't existed then the musical landscape would be entirely different, so kudos for that.  But, all that worshipfulness?  Nah, don't get it.

Part of the Beatles' mystique is their unmatched growth curve and their influence on so many other bands and genres.

Look at their production maturity from 1962 through 1969.

Love Me Do (1962) > I Want to Hold Your Hand > A Hard Days Night > Yesterday > Tomorrow Never Knows > Strawberry Fields / A Day in the Life > Revolution / Hey Jude > Here Comes the Sun (1969).

Back then, they did relentless touring (through 1966); and released new music almost every other month until they slowed down in 1968 with a double-album of thirty songs.  

As a comparison, the eight-year duration of the Beatles output would be equivalent to Bruce if he quit releasing new music after The River...almost 40 years ago.

• Like 3

Anderson / Ulvaeus write better melodies, hooks and choruses than Lennon / McCartney.

They do have the advantage of both being still alive.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't get The Beatles.

as someone who grew up with the beatles when they came out is was so fundamentally different to anything  else at the time, most of us thought 60s music was the best ever, when i hear it now its oh that was a decent tune but none of it to me stands the test of time. so yea i agree with most of what you say there,  but its like motown brilliant catchy tunes but not something that really gets into your head

• Like 1

Prince is the best guitarist of all time....Better than Hendrix, better than Clapton........Here's an example of why... (Need to watch the entire video to understand my point). I've never heard anyone play the guitar like that, with that much dexterity while in motion.....ever.

• Love Love Love! 1

I was lucky enough to see him on the Purple Rain Tour twice, & I've been lucky enough to see Page, Clapton, Richards, Thorogood, Lifeson, Perry, Townshend, Lofgren, Buckingham, Walsh, Betts, SV Vaughan & still....I've never heard anyone shred a guitar like Prince. An unpopular opinion indeed but, sorry....Prince is the best guitarist.........of all time.

• Like 2

I don't like Jimi Hendrix. Again, I'm aware of his massive influence, but listening to his solos leaves me uninspired.

Give me melodic players like Ronson, Gilmour, Duke Levine, Steve Hunter and Ian Bairnson any day of the week.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2019 at 9:01 AM, Promise61 said:

I don't get The Beatles.

I listened to their discography about a year ago for the first time. All their original songs including the B-sides and the songs that only made it to the demo stage. In total that's around 200 songs. After picking out my favorites I ended up with 48 songs. The rest are somewhere between good - really bad, so I do agree that all the albums have several duds. The songs that make up my favorites are definitely reason enough to praise the band though, but yeah, overall not a single album of theirs is great from first to last track.

• Like 1

Street Legal is one of Dylan's best albums.

• Like 4

Heavy Metal is the devil's music. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, LeoGetz said:

Heavy Metal is the devil's music. 

but reggae is true hell 

I can't stand boy bands, rap, hip hop and if all opera was sung in English, people would just laugh.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

Elton John hasn't made a decent album since the 70s.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2019 at 9:00 AM, sonicramone said:

You're so right, Dan.   See here at the 3:29 mark.  

This is legendary!!!!

Prince is one of a very select few ill say this about but i really wish i had got to see him 

On 10/2/2019 at 12:01 AM, Promise61 said:

I don't get The Beatles.

My unpopular opinion is that The Who and The Stones are both better than The Beatles.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2019 at 2:37 PM, Promise61 said:

I don't like Jimi Hendrix. Again, I'm aware of his massive influence, but listening to his solos leaves me uninspired.

Give me melodic players like Ronson, Gilmour, Duke Levine, Steve Hunter and Ian Bairnson any day of the week.

I was at school with Ian Bairnson. He was a wizard guitar player even then.

Didn't think highly of Queen, Prince, Madonna, Carey … Bros (They're on the radio as I type).