stillilllife

What are your unpopular non-Bruce music opinions?

6 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Elton John hasn't made a decent album since the 70s.

Too Low For Zero was pretty good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, riverdude2 said:

I was at school with Ian Bairnson. He was a wizard guitar player even then.

Nice. :)

His solo on Wuthering Heights may very well be my favourite guitar solo, ever.

10 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Street Legal is one of Dylan's best albums.

In my opinion it's got his best song ever on it: Is your love in vain?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

Elton John hasn't made a decent album since the 70s.

I thought 'Songs From The West Coast' and 'The Captain & The Kid' came pretty damn close.

On 9/30/2019 at 7:13 PM, MacBruce said:

Elvis Presley; Great ballad singer but that's about it as far as I am concerned. The rock and roll stuff does nothing for me and I have always believed his looks were a huge factor in his popularity and success. 

Queen; Nothing more than a glorified overhyped glam rock outfit. Freddie was a talented, charismatic front man, but their music is just over the top blandness.

The 1980's were the last great decade of pop music. I loved it. Incredible how many people's favourite songs are 80's songs.

Abba were brilliant. The best pure pop band ever.

U2 are the greatest rock band since Led Zeppelin, and the only live act to even get near to Bruce.

Prince was a brilliant musician and hugely talented, I just don't like his songs.

The Stones were a great band up until about 1972, but have been totally mediocre since..and they are hugely overrated as a live act.

Pink Floyd bore me to death. Good musicians, but their music is just sleep inducing.

CD's will never disappear, and listening to music blasting through speakers either in a car or in your living room/bedroom is still the best way to hear it. 

Robbie Williams is the biggest con man there has ever been in music..the best example of someone with no talent whatsoever making it big through marketing and hype alone.

Ironically your opinion on Queen was very popular in America when i was young .... My thinking that Queen were the next Beatles was the unpopular opinion.

My love of ABBA as a teenage boy couldn't have been less cool.

I feel vindicated on both fronts .... although the Freddy front man stuff actually annoys me a little ...I like him more playing piano

• Like 2

On 10/1/2019 at 2:00 AM, janeymarywendy said:

U2 were better than Queen at Live Aid. Maybe I should say 'in my opinion' :lol:

U2 does nothing for me ....But that version of Bad with imbedded Ruby Tuesday blew me away.

Queen are arguably my favorite band ever ....and yet the whole Live Aid reaction confused me somewhat.

2 hours ago, Eileen said:

Didn't think highly of Queen, Prince, Madonna, Carey … Bros (They're on the radio as I type).

Bros....??....

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

U2 does nothing for me ....But that version of Bad with imbedded Ruby Tuesday blew me away.

Queen are arguably my favorite band ever ....and yet the whole Live Aid reaction confused me somewhat.

No, U2 don't do anything for me either - or Queen for that matter.  But "on the day of Live Aid", I always thought U2 were better.

Queen are your favourite band ever? Even better than ... you know ... :ph34r:??

41 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

No, U2 don't do anything for me either - or Queen for that matter.  But "on the day of Live Aid", I always thought U2 were better.

Queen are your favourite band ever? Even better than ... you know ... :ph34r:??

They both had their time at the top .... From Night at The Opera until my first Bruce show in December of 1980 :)

Queen were never any good.

U2 are unbearable.

Radiohead are the most overrated band in history.

David Bowie is boring.

The Smiths are only kind of ok if you don’t listen to more than one song in a row.

Southside Johnny is painfully cheesy.

I’m a better guitar player than Tom Morello or Nils Lofgren.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Nice. :)

His solo on Wuthering Heights may very well be my favourite guitar solo, ever.

Of course, I had to go and listen to WH - first time in a long time - after reading this.  I had never even noticed the guitar solo at the end, and you're right, it's wonderful.  Also, we (or I) tend to forget what a fantastic and original song WH is.

Anyway...  back to unpopular opinions!

• Like 1

Oh, I've got one or two! David Cassidy and The Partridge Family (solo David and as Keith with the PF) made some fabulous and memorable records :)

David was also a brilliant songwriter and the trifecta of Dreams Are Nuthin' More Than Wishes, The Higher They Climb and Home Is Where The Heart Is albums are probably up there with ... I dunno :rolleyes: But probably none of you would know that :D

5 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Oh, I've got one or two! David Cassidy and The Partridge Family (solo David and as Keith with the PF) made some fabulous and memorable records :)

David was also a brilliant songwriter and the trifecta of Dreams Are Nuthin' More Than Wishes, The Higher They Climb and Home Is Where The Heart Is albums are probably up there with ... I dunno :rolleyes: But probably none of you would know that :D

My sister (four years older than me) was a big screaming fan back in the day, and used to play the Cherish album constantly on the old Dansette that we had.  It's a great pop album, fair play.

• Love Love Love! 1

4 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

Queen were never any good.

U2 are unbearable.

Radiohead are the most overrated band in history.

David Bowie is boring.

The Smiths are only kind of ok if you don’t listen to more than one song in a row.

Southside Johnny is painfully cheesy.

I’m a better guitar player than Tom Morello or Nils Lofgren.

Other than Springsteen, what other artists do you listen to?

• Like 1

David Bowie would have never have become 'David Bowie' without Mick Ronson.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

1 hour ago, JustDan said:

Other than Springsteen, what other artists do you listen to?

So many... I think the list is artists I played the most last year on Spotify included Bob Dylan, Lucinda Williams, Gun Club, White Stripes, Townes Van Zandt, Otis Redding, Dr. John, Velvet Underground, Suicide, 16 Horsepower, Reigning Sound, Oblivians, Beatles, Wilson Picket, Felice Brothers, The Stooges, Fats Domino, Big Freedia, Cheeky Blakk, Ryan Adams, IDLES...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

"All These Things That I've Done" is a bad song and one of The Killers' worst.

Somebody on here went to see them and said this song blew him away.

Brandon is someone that I'd go to see rather than Bruce these days. I wonder if that's an unpopular opinion? :)

album wise queen were no great shakes but live very very brilliant

u2 are a great band but so repetitive i think and i cant stand Bono

Zeppelin were the best rock band in the world bar none

Bowie was probably  the most influential musician of the 20th century. and again live shows were  an experience. Mick Ronson  a huge influence on bowie

Prince, brilliant hugely influential

Dylan, early years songs early mid 60s, some of the best stuff ever written, live no thanks

• Like 2

I hate that pedal steel guitar thing. It makes sound even worse than bagpipes.

All guitars should be electric. Nothing exciting has ever been played on an acoustic guitar.

5 minutes ago, Ninethumbs said:

I hate that pedal steel guitar thing. It makes sound even worse than bagpipes.

All guitars should be electric. Nothing exciting has ever been played on an acoustic guitar.

The intro to Come Up And See Me?

Iconic.

• Like 1