stillilllife

What are your unpopular non-Bruce music opinions?

I like Cotton Eye Joe by Rednex!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, stillilllife said:
13 hours ago, Rizla said:

Sorry, but Angels is a song that clearly didn't have enough thought put into it.  A "That'll do, I'm off to the pub now before it closes" song.
The lyrics do not fit the music, and don't make sense.  It needed more work.

That song is mainly about the melody for me. It's full of great melodies with the highlight being the beautiful chorus.

OK, I'll let you off.  It's the lyrics that spoil it.  Not just the words themselves, but their relation to the music.  I can't think of any other song that reaches a crescendo in the middle of a sentence

4 hours ago, Rizla said:

I can't think of any other song that reaches a crescendo in the middle of a sentence

And through it AAAAAALL?

Sorry, I didn't really mean crescendo.  I don't know the technical term, but there are points where the musical emphasis echoes the end of a sentence, or concludes the thought.  It works properly in this verse:

And through it all
She offers me protection
A lot of love and affection
Whether I'm right or wrong.

But in the next one, it breaks up the sense of the lyric and results in a false ending:

And down the waterfall
Wherever it may take me
I know that life won't break me
When I come to call

In fact the sentence continues with

she won't forsake me

and it just sounds awkward.  I'm finding it difficult to explain, but for me the lyrics don't fit the music properly. 
(And what's this waterfall he's on about?)

I also dislike the line  "I'm loving angels instead" for several reasons.   First, the horrible McDonalds-esque tense ("I'm loving it!"). 
Second, instead of what or whom?  He never says. 
Third, the inexplicable shifts between plural and singular "angels" ("she", "her" etc. - and aren't angels genderless?)

Does an angel contemplate my fate
And do they know

The gist of the song seems to be that he thinks he has a guardian angel, but lyrically it's so muddled.

12 hours ago, LeoGetz said:

I like Cotton Eye Joe by Rednex!

Ha ha, this song came on shuffle for me yesterday and I actually considered posting on here that I liked it but after praising Holiday Road and slamming The Beatles in consecutive posts I thought this might be a bridge too far.

More crazy musical talk...

When it comes to Neil Young and Crazy Horse albums, I much prefer both Ragged Glory and Sleeps With Angels to Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

14 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

II'll listen to Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main Street ahead of any Beatles record. 

And Beggars Banquet?

Rubber Soul, Revolver and the best songs on The Beatles (White Album) are on par with those 4 Stones albums.

It's more the early Beatles songs, I Want To Hold Your Hand, She Loves You, Love Me Do, etc. (in general: pre-A Hard Day's Night), and the early 60s black-and-white footage which may younger generations wonder what the fuss is all about.

53 minutes ago, Lampi said:

And Beggars Banquet?

While I'm throwing out unpopular opinions might as well keep going and say that for me, BB is the least impressive of the lauded Stones four pack. Sympathy and Street Fighting Man aside (and Stray Cat Blues if I feel generous), everything else seems like a trial run or a step along the path to songs and styles that were perfected on the latter three albums. Salt Of The Earth, for e.g., sounds almost like a prototype You Can't Always Get while the country blues stuff is done much better by Exile

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

While I'm throwing out unpopular opinions might as well keep going and say that for me, BB is the least impressive of the lauded Stones four pack.

Yes that is true. Maybe not an unpopular opinion then.:)

On 10/10/2019 at 10:08 PM, Lampi said:

And Beggars Banquet?

Rubber Soul, Revolver and the best songs on The Beatles (White Album) are on par with those 4 Stones albums.

It's more the early Beatles songs, I Want To Hold Your Hand, She Loves You, Love Me Do, etc. (in general: pre-A Hard Day's Night), and the early 60s black-and-white footage which may younger generations wonder what the fuss is all about.

Those early Beatles songs are brilliant pop records which still sound fresh and vibrant today..as well as being covered numerous times by just about everybody. Melodic and with catchy choruses.  The Beatles were phenomenal from day 1. In the early days their songs were specifically written for teenagers and reflected the joys of young love and coming of age in a time of great social change. Great melodies and lyrics and prolific like no other band has ever been..and the band's music evolved  over the 8 years they were together in my opinion reaching a level of greatness no other band has done before or since. As far as I am concerned there is just no comparison between the Stones..who I fully agree were a great band in their day...and the Beatles. Just my opinion though.

• Like 4

Karen Carpenter was probably the best female pop singer of all time. The Carpenters songs are timeless masterpieces.

Kylie Minogue might be the most gorgeous woman on the planet..but she can't sing and has built a successful career on trying to impersonate Madonna.

• Like 3

On 10/6/2019 at 2:48 AM, Eileen said:

Somebody on here went to see them and said this song blew him away.

I saw them live, and man, I triiiied to get into it, and for a time I could, but... it's just... not a good song. I just couldn't do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

I saw them live, and man, I triiiied to get into it, and for a time I could, but... it's just... not a good song. I just couldn't do it.

They've got a new album ready to unleash on the clamouring Victims. I wonder if it'll eclipse WS?

i pretty much despise 99% of Christmas music

7 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Is that really an impopulair opinion?

All I want for Christmas is no Christmas songs!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I would say this is actually a popular opinion. I like it in small doses but most Christmas songs sound the same. It’s especially grating to hear before Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Declansk said:

I would say this is actually a popular opinion. I like it in small doses but most Christmas songs sound the same. It’s especially grating to hear before Thanksgiving.

its worse when one lives in a country with no thanksgiving

we get it the Tuesdays straight after labour weekend

(near the end of October)

21 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Oh, I'm with you on this.

Even more ridiculous here where the songs are about white christmas, roasting chestnuts, sleigh bells ringing and its freakin 38 degrees centigrade in the shade. (38 centigrade is over 100 Fahrenheit for the uninitiated).

BTW, please tell me the 1% is our mate Kevin Bloody Wilson...:lol:

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

Oh, I'm with you on this.

Even more ridiculous here where the songs are about white christmas, roasting chestnuts, sleigh bells ringing and its freakin 38 degrees centigrade in the shade. (38 centigrade is over 100 Fahrenheit for the uninitiated).

BTW, please tell me the 1% is our mate Kevin Bloody Wilson...:lol:

where's my fucking bike Santa ? :lol:

27 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

where's my fucking bike Santa ? :lol:

At least you went with the clean version, the c word has been edited out...

2 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

At least you went with the clean version, the c word has been edited out...

we are in the company of our American friends ;)

On Neil Diamond's Hot August Night, the closing sequence from I Am I Said through Soolaimon and into Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show is one of the greatest live album sections ever.

The rest of the album does fuck all for me (including the much loved Crunchy Granola Suite opening) but that closing bit is something else and well beyond Diamond's MOR reputation 

• Like 1

Not going to try do the linky thing to each comment but, my 11 cents worth:

I love The Beatles. I think they are the greatest pop band of all time. I think the Stones are the greatest rock band of all time. And Led Zeppelin arguably the greatest HARD rock/blues band of all time...

Hard to disagree that Karen Carpenter was one of the greatest vocalists of all time.

It annoys me that one of Robbie William's biggest hits was a cover of a Karl Wallinger song, the original of which was much better and Karl definitely doesn't get near enough credit.

Van Morrison is like soul food to me... A huge part of my musical diet. Some days I can't think of anything I would rather listen to... I know he is one of those difficult people in person but I don't have to deal with that bit on CD.

Not a big fan of Christmas music, and especially when I see artists doing Christmas albums I inwardly groan. I think a part of it for me is that it's hard to correlate snow and roasting shit on fires when it's dry, hot and 40 degrees C outside. But... Having said that, the James Taylor Christmas album is so good, I actually listen to it all year round. Trust me.

Phil Spector Christmas album is good and very enjoyable -but these are the Christmas songs you don't hear in December.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveJhb said:

Not a big fan of Christmas music, and especially when I see artists doing Christmas albums I inwardly groan

Bob Dylan's is the funniest album ever.