So I was listening to the Live 75-85 version and writing a piece about it for my upcoming blog post, and man I just had to stop and make a thread about my favourite Springsteen song. 

I'm not garna try to do any analysis or write a lengthy essay about what the song means to me - I'd hope(?) by now you all know anyway. 

Instead I've decided to waste some time by posting multiple stunning versions that exist, just to remind all of us how lucky we are. 

What's your favourite version?

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1

this is the song (live) that made me fall in love with the ESB 

• Like 2

Not especially favourite versions, but:

-Others will post videos of the very great Fall 1984 versions with the spoken introduction (and rightly so), but: some time ago I was listening to the version from Alpine Valley 13 July 1984 (a 'regular' version, not yet with the spoken introduction) and thought something like 'Wow, this is really great' (as is the whole show; all really fresh sounding, early in the tour).

-The version from Rotterdam 29 April 1981 is a rather unique version, with Bruce singing the chorus again at the end of the instrumental outtro.

-Gothenburg 3 May 1981. Adding the L.A. 20 August 1981 version and the Live 1975/85 version: was Racing In The Street better in 1981?

-And sometimes the Darkness studio version is just all you need.

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1

My favorites are the original Darkness on the Edge of Town studio release (I am not of the "it's always better live" camp) and the just-released but long beloved September 19, 1978 Passaic performance. And while I wouldn't say it's definitively his best song, I'd say it's easily one of his Top 3 and for me nothing else really even comes close to those three ("Born to Run" and "Thunder Road" being the other two). 

• Like 5

I'm gonna have to go with The Promise version. Love the strings.

But speaking of Passaic, I noticed that on 9/20/78, when Bruce was beginning the Thunder Road intro on harmonica, Roy seemed to be playing the first measures of Racing... Am I hearing this wrong? 

• Like 2

The Darkness studio version is my all-time favourite, but I first discovered this greatest of all Springsteen songs (IMO) with the version on the Live set, back in 86, I think.

• Like 3

I really like Townes Van Zandt's version of the song too, and his comments about the song. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2019 at 7:52 PM, rockaway88 said:

I'm gonna have to go with The Promise version. Love the strings.

But speaking of Passaic, I noticed that on 9/20/78, when Bruce was beginning the Thunder Road intro on harmonica, Roy seemed to be playing the first measures of Racing... Am I hearing this wrong? 

I notice this too and am reminded that I never understood the fan hype behind 9/20/78.  A Darkness show without “Racing In The Street”?!  Wtf?  Or “Backstreets”?!

And instead “Santa Claus” in September?!

1 hour ago, badlands78 said:

I notice this too and am reminded that I never understood the fan hype behind 9/20/78. 

The sound quality, at time of release said to be the best sounding Archive release until then.

In terms of performance I think this show was always considered a great show but not as great as the 2 other Passaic 1978 shows.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 12:47 PM, Promise61 said:

The 02 in London, Christmas 2007. Grown men and women wept.

i remember it well only ticket i could get was way up high, felt like you was going to topple over when you stood, and people were bloody smoking, great concert, shit venue

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevie54uk said:

i remember it well only ticket i could get was way up high, felt like you was going to topple over when you stood, and people were bloody smoking, great concert, shit venue

We were up in the gods too.  Bought tickets from someone outside, just as we were going to give up and go home.  My legs were shaking, walking up those stairs (through excitement and also a fear of heights!). Great Racing - also a great Waiting On ASD.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Spanish Juannie said:

Lincoln, Nebraska 18 Nov 1984. Lovely melodic and improvised spoken intro and outro.

I don't think it was improvised...all Fall 1984 versions go like that.

Could be a little variation from night to night in the spoken intro and outtro but not that much.

• Like 1

The way he sang it back in 1981... Wow. The box set is still my favourite RITS vocal. I agree with whoever it was above who suggested the ultimate version will eventually come from an unedited 1981 archive recording.

Huge call out though for that guitar and violin backed version from 1996... as one of those alternate arrangements Bruce has dotted his live oeuvre with, it's a good one

• Like 2

On 10/2/2019 at 10:21 AM, Dr. Zoom said:

The Darkness studio version is my all-time favourite, but I first discovered this greatest of all Springsteen songs (IMO) with the version on the Live set, back in 86, I think.

Oh I remember all the great songs I first discovered with Live 75-85 way back when. :wub:

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

On 10/2/2019 at 10:17 AM, the-chickenman said:

To this date not released in any official capacity, but Paris #2 2012 has to be my favourite version.