The Last Dance, Shea Stadium #3, the final show of the Rising tour

Bob Dylan did a cameo, grown men and women wept openly during the final Blood Brothers

2003-10-04 - SHEA STADIUM, NEW YORK CITY, NY

Soundcheck: I WISH I WERE BLIND (x3) / BLOOD BROTHERS (x2) / CODE OF SILENCE / BACK IN YOUR ARMS / JOHNNY 99

CODE OF SILENCE / THE RISING / LONESOME DAY / ROULETTE / NIGHT / I WISH I WERE BLIND / EMPTY SKY / YOU'RE MISSING / WAITIN' ON A SUNNY DAY / JOHNNY 99 / ANOTHER THIN LINE / TUNNEL OF LOVE / BECAUSE THE NIGHT / BADLANDS / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / MARY'S PLACE / BACK IN YOUR ARMS / INTO THE FIRE / LIGHT OF DAY / BOBBY JEAN / BORN TO RUN / SEVEN NIGHTS TO ROCK / HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED (with Bob Dylan) / MY CITY OF RUINS / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS - PEOPLE GET READY / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) / DANCING IN THE DARK (with Willie Nile and Jon Landau) / QUARTER TO THREE (with Gary U.S. Bonds, Laurie Anderson, Laurie Tobias, Garland Jeffreys, Willie Nile, and Jon Landau) / TWIST AND SHOUT (with Gary U.S. Bonds, Garland Jeffreys, Willie Nile, Jon Landau, Brendan O'Brien, and Don Ienner) / BLOOD BROTHERS

Final show of The Rising Tour. "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" includes a snippet of "Stagger Lee" in the intro. Tour and E Street premiere with "I Wish I Were Blind". Also in the set: "Back In Your Arms" and "Quarter To Three" with Gary U.S. Bonds, as well as his wife Laurie Anderson and daughter Laurie Tobias, Garland Jeffreys, Willie Nile, and Jon Landau. Bob Dylan guests for "Highway 61 Revisited"; while Nile and Landau guest on "Dancing In The Dark". Bonds, Jeffreys, Nile, Landau, Brendan O'Brien, and Don Ienner all play on "Twist And Shout" (which includes "La Bamba"). Thirty song set is the longest of the tour. "Mary's Place" includes "The Monkey Time" and "Baby, I've Been Missing You". "Blood Brothers" closes the tour, just as it did in 2000.

• Like 3

Yup!!!  I was lucky enough to be in attendance of all 3 shows!!  :wub: :wub::wub:

This Blood Brothers was absolutely incredible. I was close enough to see Clarence visibly moved.  Of course I has openly weeping... 

• Like 6

That is one hell of a seven song opener.

Boy I hope I don't make a fool of myself, Jim what does OTD mean?

37 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

That is one hell of a seven song opener.

Boy I hope I don't make a fool of myself, Jim what does OTD mean?

"On this day"

• Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

what does OTD mean?

On this day.

Edit:...oops...Jim himself was 5 seconden faster than me!

To make my post not completely worthless an observation:

Despite Bruce's habit of dropping songs from the new album as a tour progresses, there are still 8 Rising songs in the setlist. Not counting the 4 Rising songs only played a few times, or only once, during the tour, the only missing regulars are Worlds Apart, The Fuse and Counting On A Miracle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Yup!!!  I was lucky enough to be in attendance of all 3 shows!!  :wub: :wub::wub:

This Blood Brothers was absolutely incredible. I was close enough to see Clarence visibly moved.  Of course I has openly weeping... 

As was I. Lucky to be at all three. Given that one of those nights was my wedding anniversary and I asked for and received forbearance to go alone ;) 

At LINYC they were all celebrating glad to be back together. At this one I think they knew, or at least had a premonition, that this would not be repeated with all of them present.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Damn flies huh ?

1 hour ago, newcastle roy said:

Damn flies huh ?

Yup, tons of ‘em.  All over Shea Stadium...

• Haha 1

King Karsten, the banner and I were there... hoserboy was there too

grown men cried during back in your arms

on night #2 hoserboy and I did joint grown men crying during NYCS

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 3

On paper, based on set list alone, this would make a good Nugs release. I've never heard any audio from the show so don't know what the actual performance is like.

Aside from the previously stated issues regarding accessing The Rising tour show recordings for the Archives, I wonder how receptive Dylan is to artists releasing live stuff where he is guesting. (The Stones next vault video release features a Dylan guest appearance, so he's clearly not completely opposed to the idea)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

Was Johnny 99 that awful full band thing back on The Rising  tour?

Totally forgot he played it then. 

I believe its been referred to as "The Hoedown Version" ....My Wife and I heard it the 1st and went bananas.

The NYPD and flashing of their badges, some atmosphere at those gigs.

Bob wasn't great...it didn't matter, and Bruce's short eulogy to Bob....

famous shows, great memories