Sign in to follow this  
Jerseyfornia

Ginger Baker Died

He was 80.

• Sad 3

Never knew him, of course.

Those that did say he was an absolutely awful human being.

It'll be interesting to see how the tributes fall.

On a Bruce note, when BS and Mike advertised for a new drummer after Boom left the band, their advert stated something like, "No junior Ginger Bakers" or something.  I'm guessing that was because of his reputation as a wild cat drummer and not his reputation as a tosser.

• Like 1

RIP - lots of great music as a legacy

• Like 2

Incredible drummer, not the nicest person. RIP.

• Like 1

80 is a pretty good innings especially in the music business with all that wild living

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/steve-winwood-ginger-baker-blind-faith-tribute-895483/

i don't care if he was cantankerous 

thanks for all the wounderful hours and hours and hours i spent listening to cream in the latter part of my youth

7 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

He was 80.

until LINYC that was my favourite song for many many years

• Like 2

According to Eric Clapton, Baker was an ass of a human being. He was cantacourous and bullying. Clapton couldn’t stand to be around him, but he was the most incredible drummer he’d ever played with. 

• Like 1

only 7 posters on this thread

im dismayed

Don't people know just how great a drummer Ginger was ?

they didn't call them cream for nothing ?

im really feeling Ginger's passing

im not of the 60s but i still feel like a big part of my youth just checked out

when my dad was sick with cancer i would spend hours lost in cream

i would go down to the beach and perch myself on a big rock as the water swirled around and turn the volume right up on my walkman

Eric, Ginger and Jack might not have 'saved me' but they did accompany me tnrough some pretty dire times

i have ever growing respect for aging wild men of rock - the longer they reside with us the harder it is to loose them

to survive all that sex, drugs and rock & roll and then basically die of old age 

there is something very mortal about that

and these guys are anything but mear mortals 

Ginger Baker is a rock God 

• Like 4

@Daisey Jeep, I think I'm in shock that you actually listened to other bands :) -  this is probably the first time I've read that you loved another band so much.  Not sure that you've mentioned it before! 

I say that with affection, not malice!

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

41 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

@Daisey Jeep, I think I'm in shock that you actually listened to other bands :) -  this is probably the first time I've read that you loved another band so much.  Not sure that you've mentioned it before! 

I say that with affection, not malice!

:lol:

id say you are right

although i do occasional mumble about country music 

well see i had this past life in between BITUSA and LINYC 

im afraid TOL was not even on my radar at 16 

Bruce had to wait till id grown up a bit and had a bit of dirt on my boots, work sweat on my brow and a bit of my shit kicked out of me :lol:

So i was out west listening to hillbillies and cowboys, kind of so far out in the wilderness even my dad refused to play some of it ! :lol:

when i went to work i joined double day record club and apart from buying country i did broaden my horizons in the classic rock dept

my friends used to think it was hillerouse i would listen to Johnny Cash one moment and then Eric Clapton and Cream  the next

i listened to a country music station down home and then when i moved up north and found Gary we liked a classic rock station where i knew almost every song

unfortunately i had a major falling out with that station with how 2 DJs  disrespected Bruce Springsteen  durring a compition to give away the back catalogue in conjunction with the hyde park release

then to add the final nail in my radio listening days  the station went all corporate and Bruce was moved to a pop classic snooze fest station 

but i still  really really loved Cream but Gary can't stand Clapton and i never loved them like i do Bruce and the ESB

but i just feel so incredibly sad about Ginger :(

Ginger dying at  80 and Bruce Springsteen turning 70 are poles apart 

im really shocked and sad more people arnt commenting on this thread 

i listened to alot of cream yesterday and it sounded just as good as it did 30 years ago

it makes me want to go dig up some steel mill

meanwhile there sure must be some fireworks in heaven when Ginger runs into Frank :lol:

these old guys that lived through so much and survived

they are surposed to live forever 

• Like 2

I haven't been around much for the last few days, so I'm just catching up.

I never cared much for Cream, but Mr. J was a huge fan. He was a phenomenal drummer, of that there is no doubt.

• Like 3

That documentary (beware of mr Baker) is  on bbc 4 over the weekend! 

• Like 2