Greasy Lake Community

LA 23.10.99 October Archive

21 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

When "Incident" is the 'weak link' on a show, you know it's a good'un

Well you see, that’s sorta what I’m getting at.  What you wrote seems to imply that the inclusion of “Incident On 57th Street” in a show inherently sets the bar high.  (A popular opinion which I never understood).  So when Bruce so glaringly botches an iconic intro to a sacred song (as on this release), I dunno, it sorta automatically elicits a “sudden death” “go-directly-to-jail” response for me which immediately knocks this show out of the elite status of say 12/31/80 or 9/19/78.

But nonetheless this is overall a good show, and I welcome any 1999 release.

• Like 1

That’s the way Incident was played in those days.  I’m not sure when the piano outro came back - probably when they started segueing it into Rosalita again.

I haven’t gotten to Incident yet, but I’m glad they didn’t “fix” that guitar mess-up.  I’ve already caught one vocal pitch correction. The first couple of lines of the second verse of Badlands were sung flat and off-key that night (surprising, considering how frequently he performs it), but magically, on the archive release, that mistake isn’t there.  I listened to it on headphones and I heard a weird overtone of the way he originally sang it coming through a tiny bit.  Probably bleed-through from other mics on stage.  It’s interesting to catch these.  I’m against these “corrections,” by the way.  It’s revisionist history, and takes away the honesty of the performance.  Live should mean live.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Correct me if I’m wrong and/or misreading your review, but I thought that “Two Hearts” from Chicago 9/30/99 did not have the “It Takes Two” ending.

For You is the highlight of this show, in my opinion.

Love any version, to be honest. I think the song is just perplexed enough to love it.

For a long time, the Hammersmith version was my favorite, but I think I love the full band more now.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

32 minutes ago, Silvia said:

For You is the highlight of this show, in my opinion.

Love any version, to be honest. I think the song is just perplexed enough to love it.

For a long time, the Hammersmith version was my favorite, but I think I love the full band more now.

I don't think anything is topping Hammersmith or Main Point for me personally, but yeah, this one is great. 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

7 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Just checked this blog post from the start of the year and it's nice to know that at least one of the shows I mentioned was released!

https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2019/01/01/springsteens-archive-series-the-possibilities-for-2019/

I hope they took your list and decided to release only one of those per year for the years to come and keep releasing 11 others just to build anticipation.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

Roxy 1978?

It was the Roxy one that made me change my mind. The Hammersmith is without a doubt an exceptional performance, but I just (at the moment) like the faster tempo with the band a little more. I was listening to both the Roxy 1978 and this new one interchangeably yesterday, trying to find out which one I prefer better... Anyway, For You is definitely my favourite Greetings song. 

PS: Listening again today at work, comparing all the versions I have on my phone. :)

• Like 1

I’m grooving to Light of Day, this is the first time I’ve noticed, but in the build up to California Sun I’m pretty sure he’s referencing the Peter Gunn Theme in his riffing. Anybody else hearing this?

@Paolo's Circus StoryI do believe it is the Rivieras version he’s referencing not the Ramones. Fun fact, the original is by Joe Jones, an Ohio resident who had never been to California when he wrote the song. 

http://bosstracks.blogspot.com/2009/02/boss-tracks-california-sun-by-rivieras.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

I’m grooving to Light of Day, this is the first time I’ve noticed, but in the build up to California Sun I’m pretty sure he’s referencing the Peter Gunn Theme in his riffing. Anybody else hearing this?

@Paolo's Circus StoryI do believe it is the Rivieras version he’s referencing not the Ramones. Fun fact, the original is by Joe Jones, an Ohio resident who had never been to California when he wrote the song. 

http://bosstracks.blogspot.com/2009/02/boss-tracks-california-sun-by-rivieras.html

About the riffing / playing in the middle of LoD: at least in Europe 99, Bruce played this little riff thing in LoD before the introductions, and it was almost identical to the same riff he played in Rosalita in 78, seems like he started in the beginning of August but I think dropped it a while before December, can't remember if it's on tge Houston show, but it's not on Winterland..I think... I always thought it was cool, Bruce referencing himself like that. But: was it Bruce's or was it a cover (if you can call a riff thingy a cover...). Anyone know?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

About the riffing / playing in the middle of LoD: at least in Europe 99, Bruce played this little riff thing in LoD before the introductions, and it was almost identical to the same riff he played in Rosalita in 78, seems like he started in the beginning of August but I think dropped it a while before December, can't remember if it's on tge Houston show, but it's not on Winterland..I think... I always thought it was cool, Bruce referencing himself like that. But: was it Bruce's or was it a cover (if you can call a riff thingy a cover...). Anyone know?

I wouldn’t call it a cover but I have noticed him doing it in other places. If I’m not mistaken he references What I’d Say in the MSG version of Light of Day. Roy used to do something similar in Kitty’s Back. In the ‘75 versions there’s a reference to Moon Dance in his solo.

• Like 1

Absolutely love this version of "Incident". All of its imperfections allow the moments of essence to stand out even more. 

When paired together with and played either before or after the version of the song from 29/12/80, I might just have my favourite representation of the magic of the Archive Series and what I've got now compared to what I had in 2013. 

11 hours ago, SoulBoogieAlex said:

Nah, definitely the Ramones’ version based on tempo and beat.  Plus there is shared history (and a future cover of I wanna be sedated) with them and Stevie is a fan that has covered them too...

Because I'm always so very behind the times, I'm still less than halfway through this outstanding release—although, to be fair (not that I deserve it), it's a show I've heard a half-dozen times already. But a couple things have occurred to me: 

1) I love this tour

2) Jon Altschiller is a fine mixer

3) Jon Altschiller is no Bob Clearmountain

4) but to be fair, I would not be surprised if Jon Altschiller also gets paid literally 5% of what Bob Clearmountain does

5) the "Racing in the Street" into "Thunder Road" transition remains unsurpassed in Bruce Springsteen's live history (he said ever so objectively) but damn if "Youngstown" into "Murder Inc" into "Badlands" isn't one hell of a worthy peer. 

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1