Greasy Lake Community

2020 Tour Rumours thread

I wouldn’t be too worried with it being a farewell tour - it will most likely be formed around the new album being recorded in November or whenever. 

My completely uninformed guess reckons a similar tour to Magic - touring a guitar heavy album and lots of politics  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BobbyJames said:

and lots of politics  

Would be an element of 'preaching to the converted' in that.

You would say Bruce is maybe writing songs about his mother know-but -if true, it is only speculation-those would -maybe-not be songs for an ESB album, more an introspective 'solo'-or at least non-ESB-album.

We will see.

I have an idea.  Maybe the reason Bruce doesn’t want to tour Western Stars is because of the orchestra— too awkward and expensive to tour them all around.  

So I think he should go to towns where they have a philharmonic orchestra, and play with them — a new set of musicians in each town.  Clearly they would need to practice before Bruce arrives, and he could bring a few specific people along with him (slide guitar guy, violin soloist maybe), but it would make it more feasible.  And fun for all the local musicians.   

I think he should do this.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Kburke said:

I have an idea.  Maybe the reason Bruce doesn’t want to tour Western Stars is because of the orchestra— too awkward and expensive to tour them all around.  

So I think he should go to towns where they have a philharmonic orchestra, and play with them — a new set of musicians in each town.  Clearly they would need to practice before Bruce arrives, and he could bring a few specific people along with him (slide guitar guy, violin soloist maybe), but it would make it more feasible.  And fun for all the local musicians.   

I think he should do this.  

Agree. I said the same thing when the album first came out.  I would love to see this happen. 

If he could do it for NYCS, he probably could do it for a few songs on WS.  

If he chooses to that is.  When all is said and done, it still might not be doable.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lampi said:

Bruce once said he would never do a farewell tour (in a Rolling Stone interview I think). (But as said before in this topic he also once said the full River album in MSG 2009 would be the only time ever).

Why would a show in Ullevi, or San Siro, or Camp Nou, be more special and a greater show than somewhere else?  Bruce Springsteen & The ESB prove it all night, every night, in Gothenburg, in Barcelona and Milano, in Boston, Philadelphia and Los Angeles, but also in Prague and Mexico City in 2012, and in South America in 2013. Sometimes it is a rather short show with a standard setlist, sometimes a (very) long with a setlist full of raritities. Every show is special, for those who are there that night, for their first show, their 10th show or their 100th show.

But if there will ever be a final farewell show, why not in New Jersey?

I should have added "to new a few" after Camp Nou, of course there are other arenas / stadiums/cities that are as "important", Staples Center not being one of them. But I do think that some places feel tiny bit more special than others, seeing Bruce in New Jersey seems like a bigger deal than Bruce in say, Maine (personally I'd love to see Bruce in Maine, being a King fan). Then again Kansas City Night or Bruce's concerts in South America does prove ypur point. Probably these things are just a fan's perception of things.

• Like 1

Well, here's my pie in the sky idea!

We have a world class symphony orchestra (CBSO) plus a world class Symphony Hall in Birmingham, so how about a run there? He & Patti stayed at the Welcombe Hotel in Stratford for several weeks a few years ago, so, there we have it, sorted:D.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

We have a world class symphony orchestra (CBSO) plus a world class Symphony Hall in Birmingham, so how about a run there? He & Patti stayed at the Welcombe Hotel in Stratford for several weeks a few years ago, so, there we have it, sorted:D.

I’d fly over for that.  B)

1 hour ago, whispered secret said:

how many seats in your symphony hall ?

2 hours ago, whispered secret said:

I’ll take that! 

6 hours ago, whispered secret said:

He played the Symphony Hall in 1996 on the Joad tour so he knows where it is. Acoustics were very good, funnily enough  :D

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

On 10/14/2019 at 9:44 AM, Jimmy James said:

No that would be the Magic Show 2008. One of the first downloads available. It was epic. All the cool people were there. 

Yes, we were. B) ;)

On 10/14/2019 at 9:44 AM, Jimmy James said:

It's funny you mention WOAD tour, after the great Magic show, one of the greatest shows ever, the WOAD show was one of the worst. And he played all of Born to Run. 

Wasn't that the tour the Kansas City show was cancelled?

On 10/14/2019 at 12:11 PM, SteveJhb said:

Guys just because Bruce mentioned that he wasn't taking the Western Stars album on tour, doesn't mean he absolutely categorically never will play one or two songs from the album live, ever.... He has also been known to change his mind about stuff before...

Like when he said he'd never play the Prove It '78 intro again...

On 10/14/2019 at 1:37 PM, sonicramone said:

Agreed.  Just don't think you need knee slides and jumping off of pianos to pull off a successful stadium show.

True; acts like Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran do just fine.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, took me long enough said:

I guess I'm in the minority, as I don't even want to think about an ESB tour just yet.  Not until I've seen Western Stars, heard the live album, bought the t-shirt and lived in the bubble for a while.  They need to be two separate universes, at least for me.  

I’m with you but this is why I never get bored with Bruce’s music and don’t need to have lots of favourite bands. Whether it be 70’s ESB, Tempe 80, BITUSA archives, Stockholm 88, Joad and D&D acoustic, Seeger Sessions Band, Western Stars orchestral beauty, or of course more ESB music. There’s always so much to play and thankfully so much still to look forward to. 

• Like 7