Greasy Lake Community

2020 Tour Rumours thread

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I need 3 more concerts to make it 50 Bruce shows. I don’t want it to end on 47. If it does I will just have to count my three Western Stars cinema shows so I get my half century 

Solo acoustic version of Moonlight Motel and I would be in bits!!

I expect it will rain in Manchester as usual.

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Lampi said:

Well. From reading this forum the past years: what is really annoying to -some-diehard fans is not a 'disdain' for 'greatest hits' or 'old songs' but the fact songs from albums post-BUSA (especially Tunnel, Rising and Magic) are criminally underplayed after the tours in support of their albums; in favour of sign requests for obscure songs and covers, full album shows and Sunny Day kids

very very true for me it always gets to the point where the BITUSA songs come out  and i switch off,  I understand he feels he has to play these for the casual concert goer and prior to the river tour  that wasnt the river tour 2016 put the river onto the criminally underplayed list.

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

and prior to the river tour  that wasnt the river tour 2016 put the river onto the criminally underplayed list.

Yes indeed outside a few warhorses (Hungry Heart, Out In The Street, Ramrod, Cadillac Ranch, the song The River), The River album was mostly underplayed after 1981 and some River songs were true rarities.

Which all was reason for the initial exitement and then disappointment of European fans in 2016.

• Like 4
53 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

very very true for me it always gets to the point where the BITUSA songs come out  and i switch off,  I understand he feels he has to play these for the casual concert goer and prior to the river tour  that wasnt the river tour 2016 put the river onto the criminally underplayed list.

I think the Euro River tour should be known as the James Bay tour.

18 hours ago, whispered secret said:

Can someone define a 'nostalgia tour'?  If a tour is supporting a new album, should he just play the 12 or so tracks from that album? 

A tour that's not in support of new material.  Exhibit A, the The River Tour.  Exhibit B, most of the WB tour.

The River tour felt like an opportunity to flog t shirts and posters.  And badges.

1 hour ago, stevie54uk said:

rumour had it one of the reasons for SOB was his mothers health, so why would he be planning a big tour next year when nothing has changed?

Yes.  This fact keeps cropping up, so I can't imagine there is any concrete plan in place for Bruce to tour next year.  Yes, if he was on tour anywhere in the world he could be home on his private jet within a few hours.  But, as Proth and I agreed t'other day, the potential chaos for cancelled gigs (especially stadium gigs) is enormous.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

The River tour felt like an opportunity to flog t shirts and posters.  And badges.

Well, I didn't buy a t shirt, a badge or a poster, but enjoyed three great shows. As the saying goes, you can't please all the people all the time.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, Lampi said:

Definition of a nostalgia tour in general -not especially about Bruce-could be (not saying it is):

A tour where only 3-5 songs of the new album are played every night, mostly (not necessary) in the first half of the set; where the other songs, especially the second half of the show and the encores, are fan favourites and 'greatest hits'; the artist, or band's, most well-known songs; and where the audience, also, or maybe especially, the die-hard fans, wants to hear those familiar songs and is not interested in hearing songs from the new album.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just something that could be a definition of a 'nostalgia tour'.

The other side of the coin in relation to Bruce Springsteen & The ESB shows is the obsession of diehard Bruce Springsteen fans with rarities; sign requests for obscure songs. Sometimes these outtakes were outtakes for a very good reason: because they are not good songs. (Also VERY BIG signs block other people's view of the stage). (And sometimes these outtakes are fantastic songs that for other artists would be the first single of their new album; and Bruce...he just throws those fantastic and great songs away because 'they did not fit on the album').

Well. From reading this forum the past years: what is really annoying to -some-diehard fans is not a 'disdain' for 'greatest hits' or 'old songs' but the fact songs from albums post-BUSA (especially Tunnel, Rising and Magic) are criminally underplayed after the tours in support of their albums; in favour of sign requests for obscure songs and covers, full album shows and Sunny Day kids.

I agree with this post. 

As I think has been said before, ideally there would be shows for diehards and shows for casuals...

7 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

Well, I didn't buy a t shirt, a badge or a poster, but enjoyed three great shows. As the saying goes, you can't please all the people all the time.

Two great disappointments, for me, on that tour.  One was that he stopped playing the whole album (it's my favourite album of all time), the other was his reluctance to play hardly ANY of those amazing outtakes that are in the box.  Most fans would have given a kidney to hear Stray Bullet.

2 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Two great disappointments, for me, on that tour.  One was that he stopped playing the whole album (it's my favourite album of all time), the other was his reluctance to play hardly ANY of those amazing outtakes that are in the box.  Most fans would have given a kidney to hear Stray Bullet.

I was disappointed about him dropping the whole album, but in the end I got all the songs I really wanted, so it was ok.

NYCS in Rome was one of my Bruce highlights and I wouldn't have traded that for Stray Bullet or any other outtake, but that's only my opinion.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

rumour had it one of the reasons for SOB was his mothers health, so why would he be planning a big tour next year when nothing has changed?

How do you know nothing has changed?

13 hours ago, Rizla said:

How do you know nothing has changed?

as someone with a 91 yr old mother in law with alzheimers I know you have to organize your life around their needs, and it never gets better, some good days some bad. just saying IF that was one of the reasons for SOB, and for me its a big if, that will be no different now. In my opinion you have to get on with your own life. its too short not too, but we are all different

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

as someone with a 91 yr old mother in law with alzheimers I know you have to organize your life around their needs, and it never gets better, some good days some bad. just saying IF that was one of the reasons for SOB, and for me its a big if, that will be no different now. In my opinion you have to get on with your own life. its too short not too, but we are all different

That's kind of what I meant, that it may have got to the point where Bruce realises that.  He will have wanted to spend as much time as possible with his mum while she's able to recognise him and enjoy his company, but perhaps she no longer can.

• Like 3
On 11/8/2019 at 12:42 PM, stevie54uk said:

the BITUSA songs

Some of the BUSA songs are a little underplayed too in the Reunion Era (outside the BUSA full album shows): Cover Me, Downbound Train, I'm Goin' Down, My Hometown. Also, the song BUSA is/was not played that often in the U.S.A. after the Rising Tour.

Cover Me is a song which was never really very popular among fans it seems (despite the great performances in 1984/1985 and, especially, 1988), but playing the other three more often -not every show- would probably be welcomed by many fans. And playing DITD like in 2002-2003 without all the girls and women on stage.

But then, as you said, the BUSA songs are played for the casuals. And for many die hard fans too. Personally I always did enjoy the BUSA songs in a show; I really love the much-maligned Bobby Jean (I never got the disdain some fans seem to have for that song); and I would rather hear the VERY much-maligned Darlington Country and Working OT Highway (both good songs) instead of an obscure cover or a mediocre song that was an outtake just because it is a mediocre song, or even a bad song.

• Like 3
On 11/9/2019 at 2:03 AM, whispered secret said:

i have a couple of spair badges - ill put your name on one :)

we didn't get the river tour, just all the old left over merchandise :angry:

(yes i happily brought most of it)

14 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

its so not fare on any one in those situations 

the brain wears out but the body keeps going