Recommended Posts

I absolutely love Magic but hate the production. But tonight I’ve got a free trial of Amazon HD and must say it sounds a lot better, I wonder if this is potential remaster? Has anyone else heard it? Bits like hearing a church bell on Your Own Worst Enemy. Gypsy Biker seems to have a better separation on instruments and the whole album seems less harsh.

  • Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, driveallnight89 said:

I absolutely love Magic but hate the production. But tonight I’ve got a free trial of Amazon HD and must say it sounds a lot better, I wonder if this is potential remaster? Has anyone else heard it? Bits like hearing a church bell on Your Own Worst Enemy. Gypsy Biker seems to have a better separation on instruments and the whole album seems less harsh.

Welcome to the game changing world of HD audio! Warning: There is no going back. 

  • Love Love Love! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Magic was mastered badly. It’s not a new master though and it’s certainly not remixed. I think you are just hearing a 24 bit version and hearing better separation 

What are you listening on? I have Amazon HD and will listen later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The vinyl always sounded a little better than the CD for me, but I kind of like the squashed mix, it sounds so dirty and wrong in the best way possible. I don't know, I'll have to check out the HD files at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took the plunge!!!

Sounds good on my Beats Studio 3 Wireless!!! 

And we have gapless playback!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Buddhabone said:

Playing Devils and Dust. Freaking awesome!!!!!!

Play the E street shuffle (and the whole of the ‘wild’ album) from the remasters series volume 1 in Ultra HD and you will be overwhelmed! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve just started my 90 day free trial of Amazon music. I’m going to indulge with my Bowers & Wilkins PX headphones tonight. 

Ultra HD is 24 bit high resolution audio. 

HD is 16 bit (CD quality). 

This is a great move by the music streaming business. For generations of people brought up on MP3 quality music it will be a whole new world. 

 

  • Love Love Love! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Buddhabone said:

Playing Devils and Dust. Freaking awesome!!!!!!

It really is, I heard so much I’ve never heard in the mix before. I am excited to try a few other albums out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I’ve just started my 90 day free trial of Amazon music. I’m going to indulge with my Bowers & Wilkins PX headphones tonight. 

Ultra HD is 24 bit high resolution audio. 

HD is 16 bit (CD quality). 

This is a great move by the music streaming business. For generations of people brought up on MP3 quality music it will be a whole new world. 

 

It’s great. What are you listening on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kevharrison said:

It’s great. What are you listening on?

I only started my 90 day trial today, so far it’s been via the Amazon music App on my IPhone X, through my Bowers & Wilkins PX headphones (which I cannot recommend highly enough by the way). 
 

Just read this from Amazon: 

Which iOS devices support Amazon Music HD?

Most iPhones and iPads released since 2014 (devices running on iOS 11, or later) can support HD/Ultra HD (up to 24-bit, 48kHz) without any additional equipment. In order to play songs at higher sample rates (96 or 192 kHz), iPhone customers can connect an external DAC capable of supporting those higher sample rates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

 In order to play songs at higher sample rates (96 or 192 kHz), iPhone customers can connect an external DAC capable of supporting those higher sample rates.

This is the key part most people aren't aware of. Without the converter you're not actually listening in 'HD'.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SteveJhb said:

This is the key part most people aren't aware of. Without the converter you're not actually listening in 'HD'.

What do you use Steve? I’ve only ever played 24 bit audio (Ultra HD in Amazon speak) through my high res Fiio Digital Audio Player. 
This Amazon HD music streaming free trial is the first time I’ve played high res music through my iPhone. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

This is the key part most people aren't aware of. Without the converter you're not actually listening in 'HD'.

Thinking this through, if an iPhone supports Amazon music playback at 24 bit 48 kHz, then It should follow that any of its Ultra HD music (which is at the top end 24 bit 96khz/192khz) will be downsampled to 24/48 by your iPhone, which is still high resolution ‘Ultra HD’ sound. So would a converter really make any difference? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear a distinct difference on my iPhone 10 XS Max...playing through my Beats Studio 3s. Never have used a DAC, due to these cans being wireless. There has been scuttle butt reagding these Beats but I enjoy them. Some say there is a secret sauce of sorts on these when paired with an apple device. I dunno. I have liked these for going on two years. 

Amazon Music HD does sound better...I also groove to all things on apple lossless and Spotify on super high quality.

Love having all this music. It's my life's blood. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2019 at 3:12 PM, doesthisbusstop said:

What do you use Steve? I’ve only ever played 24 bit audio (Ultra HD in Amazon speak) through my high res Fiio Digital Audio Player. 
This Amazon HD music streaming free trial is the first time I’ve played high res music through my iPhone. 

 

Squire I have an iPhone 7 256gb filled to within an inch of it's life with FLAC, ALAC and WAV files.... I play them through an Onkyo app which plays 24bit files.

I don't think the Amazon HD streaming option is available here as yet.

I assume that if I am listening directly through headphones (an old pair of Sennheisers, nothing fancy) I am hearing 24 bit but my understanding is that when plugged into the car AUX-In I will obviously only hear 16bit files.

I also have a Yamaha WXAD-10 connected to my old Stereo amp which I can use to stream files from my phone or laptop but, again, my understanding is I am only hearing 16bit until I get a more modern amp that can transfer the higher sample rate.

The higher quality files sound amazing, of course, and as you know, but take up a lot more space. I can't wait for the day I get to properly hear them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

I assume that if I am listening directly through headphones (an old pair of Sennheisers, nothing fancy) I am hearing 24 bit but my understanding is that when plugged into the car AUX-In I will obviously only hear 16bit files.

You might be surprised by your car Aux-in. The car is receiving an already converted analog signal (which your iPhone Onkyo app has already processed as digital). Analog is not 16 bit/24 bit, it’s as good as the original converted signal. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Concur with the previous posts...sounds fantastic...Magic sounds awesome..nothing like before...and that is without hi-def equipment..listening via Amazon HD app on S9 connected to wireless JBL450 headphones.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love how there's bootlegs on there too...anyone know which show this one is..just says Max's Kansas City 1973...btw sounds perfect

Screenshot_20191017-222853_Amazon Music.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.