Sign in to follow this  
sonicramone

Random The Who Poster 1982

Does anyone recognize this poster from the The Who's "final" tour in 1982?   I am now the proud owner of this from an eBay sale, but I have no idea about the origin of it.

Not shown in the picture is the word "Salute" at top of the poster.   It's very difficult to find anything about this....I'm guessing that it is from a radio station promo, but then I would expect the station's call letters to be on there as well.  Anyway, if anyone recognizes this from anywhere, I'd appreciate a little background.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzwVdiiyeX3EBMxX8Wff0

2 hours ago, sonicramone said:

Does anyone recognize this poster from the The Who's "final" tour in 1982?   I am now the proud owner of this from an eBay sale, but I have no idea about the origin of it.

Not shown in the picture is the word "Salute" at top of the poster.   It's very difficult to find anything about this....I'm guessing that it is from a radio station promo, but then I would expect the station's call letters to be on there as well.  Anyway, if anyone recognizes this from anywhere, I'd appreciate a little background.

Sonic, were you at the Stampede show in 79'?  

37 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Sonic, were you at the Stampede show in 79'?  

I was not.   Obviously, it was a big deal around here, but the 1982 show in Louisville was my first chance at seeing The Who.

BTW, did you know that Roger has been back to the area on his own accord recently to visit a memorial that was set up in a town outside of Cincinnati for a couple of the kids that perished in the stampede.   Very big of him to pay his respects that way.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2019/03/03/why-whos-roger-daltrey-finneytown-pay-his-respects/3003053002/

Nearly 40 years ago, three Finneytown High School students died at The Who concert at Riverfront Coliseum in Downtown Cincinnati.

Over the summer, The Who's lead singer Roger Daltrey returned to Cincinnati to meet with organizers and supporters of the P.E.M. Memorial Scholarship Fund, a fund set up in remembrance of those students.

26723396-73cb-490f-b52a-638400e65cde-the

RESLV, a video agency based in Greater Cincinnati, captured the visit and produced a mini-documentary 

The P.E.M. Memorial Scholarship Fund was founded in August of 2010 in remembrance of Stephan Preston, Jackie Eckerle, and Karen Morrison. 

Those three Finneytown students were among the 11 people killed prior to The Who concert on Dec. 3, 1979. A crowd of 2,000 people rushed to get inside the Riverfront Coliseum to try to see The Who practice before their performance. The 11 victims were from Ohio and Kentucky and ranged in age from 15 to 27.

• Like 2

Jimmy, you were asking about the Who tragedy in Cincinnati back in 1979.  Well, we're heading into the 40th anniversary of that awful night, and a local TV station was able to get interviews with Daltrey and Townsend specifically about that night.  In an eerie event, they plan on broadcasting the hour-long documentary at 8pm on December 3rd....the exact same time of the concert.

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/wcpo-to-air-documentary-marking-40-years-since-tragedy-that-killed-11-before-the-who-concert

One other contributor is their long-time manager Bill Curbishly who knew of the deaths and made the call to have the band play anyway.  That had to be anguishing.

On 10/15/2019 at 3:48 PM, sonicramone said:

I was not.   Obviously, it was a big deal around here, but the 1982 show in Louisville was my first chance at seeing The Who.

BTW, did you know that Roger has been back to the area on his own accord recently to visit a memorial that was set up in a town outside of Cincinnati for a couple of the kids that perished in the stampede.   Very big of him to pay his respects that way.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2019/03/03/why-whos-roger-daltrey-finneytown-pay-his-respects/3003053002/

Nearly 40 years ago, three Finneytown High School students died at The Who concert at Riverfront Coliseum in Downtown Cincinnati.

Over the summer, The Who's lead singer Roger Daltrey returned to Cincinnati to meet with organizers and supporters of the P.E.M. Memorial Scholarship Fund, a fund set up in remembrance of those students.

26723396-73cb-490f-b52a-638400e65cde-the

RESLV, a video agency based in Greater Cincinnati, captured the visit and produced a mini-documentary 

The P.E.M. Memorial Scholarship Fund was founded in August of 2010 in remembrance of Stephan Preston, Jackie Eckerle, and Karen Morrison. 

Those three Finneytown students were among the 11 people killed prior to The Who concert on Dec. 3, 1979. A crowd of 2,000 people rushed to get inside the Riverfront Coliseum to try to see The Who practice before their performance. The 11 victims were from Ohio and Kentucky and ranged in age from 15 to 27.

Fifty more through the door
Let em in
Rock and roll
Twenty five push outside
Gettin hard to control
Understand it's the end
Tragedy Ohio

Johnny was a rocker
Had a ticket for week
Fifteen dollars
Johnny wasn't gonna miss a thing
Sally was a dreamer
Made her mind up for days
No matter what the price
Gonna meet someone nice backstage

Suddenly seemed to be no use
Suddenly all hell broke lose

Let em in
Rock and roll
Twenty five push outside
Gettin hard to control
Understand it's the end
Tragedy Ohio

Billy was a sailor
Had a week for a leave
Seen it twenty times
But he didn't mind
Seeing it again
Seems the promoter
They was charging fifty grand
Every seat was sold out
All they had to do was jam

Let em in
Rock and roll
Twenty five push outside
Gettin hard to control
Understand it's the end
Tragedy Ohio

Let em in
Rock and roll
Twenty five push outside
Gettin hard to control
Understand it's the end
Tragedy Ohio

Fifty more fifty more
Tragedy Ohio
Fifty more fifty more
Tragedy Ohio
Fifty more fifty more
Tragedy Ohio

Fifty more fifty more
Fifty more fifty more
Fifty more fifty more
Fifty more fifty more

4 hours ago, sonicramone said:

Jimmy, you were asking about the Who tragedy in Cincinnati back in 1979.  Well, we're heading into the 40th anniversary of that awful night, and a local TV station was able to get interviews with Daltrey and Townsend specifically about that night.  In an eerie event, they plan on broadcasting the hour-long documentary at 8pm on December 3rd....the exact same time of the concert.

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/wcpo-to-air-documentary-marking-40-years-since-tragedy-that-killed-11-before-the-who-concert

One other contributor is their long-time manager Bill Curbishly who knew of the deaths and made the call to have the band play anyway.  That had to be anguishing.

Thanks for the heads up. When it airs, maybe grab it and post it.

On 10/15/2019 at 12:50 PM, sonicramone said:

BTW, I have since found out that this was a radio station poster KMAL out of San Francisco who put this poster together for the 1982 "Final" Who tour.