A Saint in the city

Western Stars - The Movie thread

Now that the film is going to be on general release, I though it would be good if it had its own thread... 

I was lucky enough to see it in London last week, and absolutely loved it. 

However now that most of the rest of GL should be catching up over the next few weeks, I would like to hear others opinions. 

Do you prefer it live to the album? 

Is there any songs that surprised you?

Did you like the explanations behind the songs? 

• Like 1

Good idea,  but that did you think to your own question?   :D  Without too many spoilers! 

I need to wait for the general uk release :(

• Like 1

I looked last night and unfortunately, (but as I suspected) it does not look like it will be showing here at least it isn't scheduled through mid November.:(

• Sad 3

I too saw it in London and was absolutely blown away by the beauty, honesty and sheer brilliance of the performances.

I must be honest, when I heard he was releasing an album of the live songs from the film, I was sceptical and cynical. I thought it was the ultimate cash in exercise.

Having heard the live versions (admittedly in perfect sound, through a giant cinema system), I will definitely be buying the sound track, and can't see me playing the original studio versions much in the future.

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

40 minutes ago, Pullinouttahere said:

I too saw it in London and was absolutely blown away by the beauty, honesty and sheer brilliance of the performances.

I must be honest, when I heard he was releasing an album of the live songs from the film, I was sceptical and cynical. I thought it was the ultimate cash in exercise.

Having heard the live versions (admittedly in perfect sound, through a giant cinema system), I will definitely be buying the sound track, and can't see me playing the original studio versions much in the future.

That good??

What were the pick of the performances do you think?

The strongest song live (of 13 all strong) for me was The Wayfarer. Brilliant live performance. Can’t wait to listen to it on cd next week.

edit: 14 including Rhinestone Cowboy! 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

That good??

What were the pick of the performances do you think?

I really need to see it again, to be sure (which I am, on opening night).

I agree with Does this bus stop about the Wayfarer and remember shedding a tear in Moonlight Motel, which seemed more romantic and less sad than the studio version.

One thing I would say it that this film needs to be seen on a big screen. Do NOT wait for the DVD. The cinematography is astounding.

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, A Saint in the city said:

Now that the film is going to be on general release, I though it would be good if it had its own thread... 

I was lucky enough to see it in London last week, and absolutely loved it. 

However now that most of the rest of GL should be catching up over the next few weeks, I would like to hear others opinions. 

Do you prefer it live to the album? 

Is there any songs that surprised you?

Did you like the explanations behind the songs? 

My review is on the other WS premier thread. I think I said enough ;) 

To answer @Captain Chaos's question, Stones has gotta be up there too. Powerful performance between Bruce and Patti. 

Looking forward to reading other Lakers' thoughts over the next couple of weeks. I didn't see SOB in the flesh, so to speak, so WS has to be my Broadway. I'm sure I would've raved about Broadway, but this 'performance' takes some beating in my opinion :).

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

58 minutes ago, Pullinouttahere said:

One thing I would say it that this film needs to be seen on a big screen. Do NOT wait for the DVD. The cinematography is astounding.

Agree.  And the big sound of a theatre is important too.  

• Bruuuuce! 2

2 hours ago, Pullinouttahere said:

One thing I would say it that this film needs to be seen on a big screen. Do NOT wait for the DVD. The cinematography is astounding

will not go to the flicks, prefer my own big screen and sound system. so if it aint on dvd i wont see it

Just had a look at local vue showing only one showing on the 28th only(on holiday anyway) but its over £21 a ticket and it says  q and a, i presume that will be a recording of london Q and A. bloody expensive just for a film

1 hour ago, stevie54uk said:

Just had a look at local vue showing only one showing on the 28th only(on holiday anyway) but its over £21 a ticket and it says  q and a, i presume that will be a recording of london Q and A. bloody expensive just for a film

I can’t imagine they would show a prerecorded Q&A.   Is it possible Bruce could be there? What city are you located? 

2 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

i very much doubt he would come here to york https://www.myvue.com/event/western-stars-bruce-springsteen-qa

There's a spare seat next to mine at Bootham Crescent if he fancies watching a game :P

• Love Love Love! 1

7 hours ago, gus said:

Loved it. A must see.

oh im so happy you got to see it Gus

A controversial view but the film made me think Bruce was thinking of when he was ‘seeing’ Patti whilst he was still married? If he was? 

Not that the later issue of “kids and bills” would have been a problem for him mind. 

1 hour ago, doesthisbusstop said:

A controversial view but the film made me think [rest of post deleted by me]

No spoilers please — give everyone a chance to hear things for themselves first.  

I agree @Kburke.  I’ve been avoiding trailers and vids and such just for that reason.  

Maybe a separate thread for those who have seen the film, with a ‘spoilers’ warning?  

That way anything and everything can be freely discussed, and those who haven’t yet seen it (but plan to do so) can stay away... 

Just a thought.  

(BTW... that Moonlight Motel angle was discussed/theorized when the album first came out)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

£21? 

I thought £16 at Thorpe Park, Leeds was bad enough.