A Saint in the city

Western Stars - The Movie thread

7 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

Lovely review, thank you.

Todays the day! Counting down the hours now. Can't remember ever being so excited about a trip to the cinema!

Me too Ann just hope this film lives up to my very high expectations. Bring it on!!!

• Bruuuuce! 2

27 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

Lovely review, thank you.

Todays the day! Counting down the hours now. Can't remember ever being so excited about a trip to the cinema!

I know, just have to get through the day at work.

32 minutes ago, jmw said:
59 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

I know, just have to get through the day at work.

If you hear a loud sobbing and a dark shadow in the corner of your eye, do not worry. It's just me realizing how hard it is to have to wait another month. :(

But still so happy for all you lucky lot :)

So, please, lay down your money and play your part :lol:

• Like 1

Is Western Stars just showing today only in most places in the UK?

I had assumed it would run for at least a week. I cant go and watch it tonight :( 

1 hour ago, 100yrsOld said:

If you hear a loud sobbing and a dark shadow in the corner of your eye, do not worry. It's just me realizing how hard it is to have to wait another month. :(

But still so happy for all you lucky lot :)

So, please, lay down your money and play your part :lol:

me too 

at least we will have each other to talk to when everyone else has moved on to the next new thing

fingers crossed i get the movie in a thratre here 

39 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

at least we will have each other to talk to when everyone else has moved on to the next new thing

I'll open the 'WS - the movie orphans thread' :D

• Love Love Love! 1

Finally got a chance to see it yesterday.  Only 5 people at the showing in an Atlanta theatre.  But the five of us were quite lucky.  I went to the movie with the expectation that I would enjoy the music, but be most moved by Bruce’s narrative mixing his rumination about life along with the home movies and stunning western vistas.  

The opposite was true.  The parts between the songs were great, but the performance of the album was spectacular.  You could truly feel the emotion he is trying to convey with these songs.  If you have the chance to experience it on the big screen with a big Dolby sound system, do it!

• Like 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1

3 hours ago, The_Magic Rat said:

I had assumed it would run for at least a week. I cant go and watch it tonight :( 

It’s showing in my town (in Canada) until the 31st, it appears.  Can’t tell if it goes any further.  

• Like 2

Around here it seems to be just the one showing.......

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Walker in the sun said:

Around here it seems to be just the one showing.......

Same here.

• Sad 2

On 10/24/2019 at 8:33 PM, jmw said:

I am going Monday evening, £15.50, not sure what that is in dollars, maybe 12-13.

Totally wrong, almost 20 dollars.

It’ll get there.......

Showing once in Shrewsbury and according to the manager there, more than 100 seats are still available!

Still, I shall personally warn each film goer about when it is appropriate for them to give their approval through the medium of clapping. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robwarrior said:

The parts between the songs were great, but the performance of the album was spectacular.  You could truly feel the emotion he is trying to convey with these songs.  If you have the chance to experience it on the big screen with a big Dolby sound system, do it!

Obviously I knew I'd the love performance aspect, even the set up of it alone is my thing, but I'm so blown away by the music, if I didn't have to break the bank to see a matinee for 17 bucks I'd see it one more time before I wait for the DVD.  Blinded By the Light only cost me 11 bucks, six dollar difference affects the snack buying.  

Patti is just amazing here too.  

What a wonderful film to accompany a beautiful album.

While I’ve enjoyed all the releases this Century and keep 'Magic’ & "Wrecking Ball” close to heart - 'Western Stars' is probably the most complete/perfect album since 'The Rising’ .... just a masterpiece of work and that’s not even 'My’ kinda music! 

Since I’m a kid, he always seems to surprise me. 

Brad

PS: ‘The Promise’ record, while released this Century’, I don’t count because I will always see that as his true 4th album. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, BruceHistory said:

What a wonderful film to accompany a beautiful album.

While I’ve enjoyed all the releases this Century and keep 'Magic’ & "Wrecking Ball” close to heart - 'Western Stars' is probably the most complete/perfect album since 'The Rising’ .... just a masterpiece of work and that’s not even 'My’ kinda music! 

Since I’m a kid, he always seems to surprise me. 

Brad

PS: ‘The Promise’ record, while released this Century’, I don’t count because I will always see that as his true 4th album. 

To me it is even more coherent than the Rising. It really is a masterpiece. The masterpeice we all knew he was still capable of.

Im hoping as he slows we will get a stripped back 'Cash like' masterpiece. One more for the road.

• Like 1

I cannot emphasize enough how glad I am I waited to see it before getting the live album.  Normally don't do that but thought it would be different in this case.  Now I can't wait to get it and may not return to the studio - except for Hello Sunshine.  

I ain't deleting my studio album, hell no.  But for listening enhancement, I'm going live, baby.  

I never do that so this exception is rare.  

6 hours ago, The_Magic Rat said:

Walsall tomorrow and next Monday

We've arrived in Stratford. Will have a wander and a few bevvies before the 6pm showing

edit - there's a showing in the Bristol area on Wednesday

2 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

I ain't deleting my studio album, hell no.  But for listening enhancement, I'm going live, baby.  

I never do that so this exception is rare.  

Same here.  On both accounts. 

An amusing observation but anyone else besides me notice that Jennifer Aniston's hair dresser is Patti and Bruce's for the show?

Chris McMillan, who I think also did Patti's hair for Broadway.  Or wig rather, of which she posted a few of 'em.  

Saw him at the end of the credits anyway.  

Wow. It was fantastic. The sound, the mini-movies between songs, Bruce's voice, all stellar. 

My niece started to sing along. I stopped her. On a scale of a 1,2,3,4, how bad an aunt am I? (Instead of having a scale of 1-10, my scale is 1-4, as in Bruce's intro to songs. -_- )

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Marilla Gorilla said:

Wow. It was fantastic. The sound, the mini-movies between songs, Bruce's voice, all stellar. 

My niece started to sing along. I stopped her. On a scale of a 1,2,3,4, how bad an aunt am I? (Instead of having a scale of 1-10, my scale is 1-4, as in Bruce's intro to songs. -_- )

I can't promise not to sing along to Sleepy Joe's! I'll do my best not to. :D

• Haha 2

Something else I thought of, Bruce stressed how much he loves working with other collaborators in the film and that when talking about the album something along the lines of being "sick" of writing another rock song, or that he wasn't going to do that right now, so that shows the whys of the diversity of his musical output through the years right there.

For those who blame Sting on breaking up E Street, he would have done it either whenever he supposedly influenced him or sometime down the road, not even a question.  

I seen something in the film I've never seen before. It must be a custom job. Because i just did a quick search on the Internets, with no results. 

But at the beginning of Hitch Hikin, the dude to Bruce's left, our right was playing a 6 string Banjo with a traditional Fender telecaster neck.