A Saint in the city

Western Stars - The Movie thread

I HAVE SEEN THE FILM!

I HAVE LOVED THE FILM!

Since it took so long to find out if it was shown here at all, getting to see it seemed a major feat. 80 to 90 people along there with me, and one left after three songs (????). Had extra tissues, but only needed them at the end. Most of the time I just sat there grinning ear to ear because I loved it all: the slightly more gritty singing than on the studio album, the interaction with Patti and the band/orchestra, the landscape shots.

Some of the comments added to the meaning of the songs, but some of them seemed like he was assuming too much gravitas. Loved Charlie in Sleepy Joe's Café and thought nevertheless how I would have liked Danny to play the accordeon...

Stones was stunning, and Moonlight Motel was a highlight. Went home with Rhinestone Cowboy incessantly ringing in my head.

Western Stars was rightfully a the center and even my least favorite song, Hitch Hiking, grew on me.

All of Patti's contributions were lovely.

The guy sweeping at the end really cracked me up. Nowbody taught him how to do that, so he just aimlessly pushed the broom around, sometimes finding some dirt to add to the little heap he was making, and often missing. Comic relief.

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

3 minutes ago, East London Calling said:

This was on the Saturday at the screening at the Ham Yard Hotel in Piccadilly 

Thanks. Was that just for press? 

It was a nice surprise as I was expecting the Friday night one. 

Full house in Basingstoke. Loved the film, hated the Q+A. Thought the Q+A was on first and I'd missed it, but no. Pretty superfluous and it watered down the impact of the film that preceded it. Brilliant film though. Been said a million times, but Pattie was stunning when she was young (still can't sing though, sorry, just my opinion...).

• Like 1

Excellent Film, full house of around 100 in Northampton.

Numerous highlights for me but especially Western Stars and Wayfarer.

I was expecting Soozee to play the violin outro on Stones but she stayed in the Choir.

Good of Bruce to let his Nana have a bit of a sing on Stones, the Q&A was unnecessary and I don’t think the film needed to be discussed in that much detail. Perhaps We are all a little jaded by all the Western Stars media noise so we’d heard most of it before. 
All in all, a splendid way to spend a Monday evening.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jmw said:

People started to get up and leave and then stopped when they realise there was more.

idiots will never learn 

occasionally a movie will have a bit extra at the end

i like to read the credits myself, it was someone job to make them - i like to see who made the credits

especially with this movie because I'll want to see all the names i recognise and then who played the french horn

i also hate the redicoulss crush to get out of the cinima, what's the rush ? (the car isnt to go home on its own) its almost worse than the performances disembarking from a plane

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, berlintramp said:

I HAVE SEEN THE FILM!

I HAVE LOVED THE FILM!

Since it took so long to find out if it was shown here at all, getting to see it seemed a major feat. 80 to 90 people along there with me, and one left after three songs (????). Had extra tissues, but only needed them at the end. Most of the time I just sat there grinning ear to ear because I loved it all: the slightly more gritty singing than on the studio album, the interaction with Patti and the band/orchestra, the landscape shots.

Some of the comments added to the meaning of the songs, but some of them seemed like he was assuming too much gravitas. Loved Charlie in Sleepy Joe's Café and thought nevertheless how I would have liked Danny to play the accordeon...

Stones was stunning, and Moonlight Motel was a highlight. Went home with Rhinestone Cowboy incessantly ringing in my head.

Western Stars was rightfully a the center and even my least favorite song, Hitch Hiking, grew on me.

All of Patti's contributions were lovely.

The guy sweeping at the end really cracked me up. Nowbody taught him how to do that, so he just aimlessly pushed the broom around, sometimes finding some dirt to add to the little heap he was making, and often missing. Comic relief.

maybe the guy that left had a sick grandma or his wife had a baby .....

so glad you and everyone else loved it

(even the people who didn't stay till the end ;))

• Like 1

Fact cinema Liverpool. Looked like a full house. 

I'm convinced we all just witnessed a masterpiece. Everyone seemingly  held spellbound. HitchHiker, Wayfarer and Sleepy Joe were all fine by me before but each have now been subtly transformed by Bruce so that they match the majesty of the other ten tracks. Breathtaking..

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 2

Maybe I liked the mini film at the end because I’d seen the main film twice before, so I was happy to see even more. I understand if it was a first viewing, that people would like to leave on that high.  

• Like 2

Fantastic from start to finish. Point village in Dublin, decent crowd. The bits of talking between the songs added an extra lair to them. My partner isn’t a big fan but she was blown away by it. Can’t wait to see it again. 

• Like 4

So my husband just saw a story online about a Canadian musician, Jim Cuddy. I’m sure @Pregnant Sallyand @Marilla Gorillaknow him. 

He’s just about to release an album he recorded in 2018, in the upper level of his barn :D, and one song is a cover of Rhinestone Cowboy!!  He is quoted in the article as saying, “Aw, Bruce, COME ON!!”

:lol::lol::lol:    

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Kburke said:

So my husband just saw a story online about a Canadian musician, Jim Cuddy. I’m sure @Pregnant Sallyand @Marilla Gorillaknow him. 

He’s just about to release an album he recorded in 2018 in the upper level of his barn :D, and one song is a cover of Rhinestone Cowboy!!  He is quoted in the article as saying, “Aw, Bruce, COME ON!!”

:lol::lol::lol:    

Know of him, I'm a big fan.  Have even turned some onto him 'round these parts.  

He actually covers The River so I knew he was a fan, that story is hilarious.  

I won't be paying 17 bucks to see Jim Cuddy perform Rhinestown Cowboy at the cinema tho.   

I actually took a break from Bruce on the way home from work today and listened to some Blue Rodeo.

.I remember I first saw them in Sept. 1986. They  opened for K.D. Lang at a free afternoon concert for orientation at Mac (McMaster University). They were terrific. I remember my sister writing to me when in ‘87 (no email then) and telling me that they had released an album. I had thought they were called Rodeo Blue, :wacko:.

The last song they sang that day was a speeded up version of Galveston! :D

I’ve seen the Jim Cuddy Band live, too. They were good. 

• Like 3

I've seen them so many times over the years, unlike Bruce, I've no desire to see them at this point.

I'd see the Jim Cuddy band though, bet that would be a nice treat for something different.  

1 hour ago, Kburke said:

Maybe I liked the mini film at the end because I’d seen the main film twice before, so I was happy to see even more. I understand if it was a first viewing, that people would like to leave on that high.  

First viewing... I liked it a lot as well.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

Reflecting on what I saw after reading all your posts.

First off, I am pleased that most people experienced this in pretty full cinemas, as I hadn't expected this. To answer Daisey, there was no publicity in Stratford - I was in the same cinema last week, no poster, no trailer and no poster up outside and yes, Mr Slippers (!) enjoyed it.

I would have preferred it without the Q & A. It didn't tell me anything I didn't already know from reading and listening to numerous interviews over the past few weeks. I would have rather walked home just with that stunning soundtrack in my head.

I would really like to watch it again in a cinema and will look out for another screening as it went by so quickly. I momentarily forgot about Rhinestone Cowboy so at the end of MM, I was feeling a bit bereft and then in it came - rounded the film off on a beautiful high.

Now I can buy the soundtrack and order the blue ray. 

I was also thinking how lucky we are to be Bruce fans, who would ever have expected the year we have had? And, if we believe what we hear, another good year ahead.

Ann, Like you I could have happily watched it again, my friend who doesn't always say a lot, said exatcly the same and like you was off to check out Amazon to order the DVD. And yes what a year. Did anyone think Bruce had a tear in his eye at the start and a couple of times during.

Just off for my morning walk.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

I would have preferred it without the Q & A. It didn't tell me anything I didn't already know from reading and listening to numerous interviews over the past few weeks. I would have rather walked home just with that stunning soundtrack in my head.

I would really like to watch it again in a cinema and will look out for another screening as it went by so quickly. I momentarily forgot about Rhinestone Cowboy so at the end of MM, I was feeling a bit bereft and then in it came - rounded the film off on a beautiful high.

Totally agree on all this. Rhinestone Cowboy had also slipped my mind & was a perfect ending. Reminded me of how he ended the Devils & Dust Tour with Dream Baby Dream. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Turned out to be about 60 in the end in Cardiff.

That film was amazing. Those strings, my oh my.

It was also showing at the Odeon down the bay and another screen nearby I think 

• Like 1

Rhinestone Cowboy is a glimpse of sunshine after a storm. 

• Like 6
  • Bruuuuce! 1

31 minutes ago, AMIW said:

It was also showing at the Odeon down the bay and another screen nearby I think 

Nant Garw had it, too. That cinema is actually nearer for me but devoid of places to eat so I always take the 19 minute train ride to Cardiff.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Nant Garw had it, too. That cinema is actually nearer for me but devoid of places to eat so I always take the 19 minute train ride to Cardiff.

how does one actually pronounce Nant Garw ?

is it a village or the name of a picture theatre ?

So, it’s the next day...

There were very few things I didn’t like. The Q&A, as others have said, was completely superfluous and detracted from the experience of the movie. As a movie, I think someone other than Zimny could have helped Bruce pace this a bit better. I wonder what Scorsese could have done with this... 

However, musically, what an achievement! The score Bruce composed is spot on perfect, some of the footage is great (some of it seemed a bit forced, though). I think the film would have benefited from not having Bruce on any of “interstitial pieces”, just his voice over some gorgeous footage.

Some things that stood out:

The way Hitch Hiker builds up is just ridiculously perfect. 

I’m definitely not a fan of Patti’s singing. Here, though, specially in the theatre, I can’t fault it. Not only did it not ruin any song, it actually added something to them.

Bruce’s voice sounded perfect. Our man has outdone himself.

The musicianship on that stage was incredible. The orchestra was immaculate and they looked over the moon for being there (the look on the violinist’s face when she takes the solo on Stones is priceless). The lap steel guy does one hell of a job and so do the drummer and the guitar guy. And Charlie Giordano... This guy is the unsung hero of Bruce’s musical output over the last decade. There’s nothing I don’t like about him or his playing.

The whole thing sounded gloriously. I love that little trick of bringing an instrument forward a bit forward when it’s on camera. 

I was really happy just sitting there, completely relaxed, with absolute confidence in Bruce, letting him guide me through that journey. 

I wasn’t a fan of his Broadway thing but this is something else. This is new music, it’s challenging (for him and for us), this is relevant and artistically impressive. I’m proud to be a fan of this man right now. 

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Couple of random thoughts.

I felt he looked a little blank in the eyes at times. Just not quite with it. Mostly on the earlier tracks and I thought he warmed to the performance from the title track on. Maybe a combo of the filming taking place but also a rather notable reliance on a lyric prompter which I assume was at the back of the audience. 

At one point Patti clearly glances up at the prompter mid line when she’s sharing the mic with Bruce. May have been during MM.

Maybe it’s just me on that slight “blankness” he sometimes has these days. Certainly didn’t notice it on the chat shows I’ve seen him do lately. 

• Like 1

Well now … bit of an adventure actually getting to the cinema but made it with time to spare … pity others didn't - get out the way, man! :D

I really enjoyed the film - well done, Bruce. Stand-out songs for me were Chasing Wild Horses and Sleepy Joe's Café - others are better on the studio version - I won't be buying the soundtrack or DVD or whatever else comes out.

I loved the spoken bits and had to reach for my hanky before CWH - that caught me unawares.

I thought Patti sounded good on Stones but, like a couple of others, the song was just ok. The first bit on Moonlight Motel was passable, the whispered bit (?) was an 'Eh'? moment - the whole thing wasn't a patch on the studio version.

I'd have got up before or during the Q & A bit but I'd have made a fuss getting my stuff together - quite a few decided to leave.

Can anybody please put a photo up of the last bit of the hands, please?  I thought (probably rightly) that it was Bruce's hand until the other hand came in so I thought they were the hands of older people - to show love enduring. Then, it occurred to me they were THEIR hands.

I have a cherished memory of holding my dad's hand and realising our hands were very similar   The backs of my hands remind me that I'm getting older but they also remind me of him - so that's ok. 

When I look at Bruce and Patti up on the screen I'm not looking at the people within. The hands at the end are.

Rhinestone Cowboy was jolly but I didn't need it … or the Q & A.

Best bit? The overall feeling the songs and the spoken bits gave me. 

Thanks, Bruce … for everything.

• Like 4