Greasy Lake Community

Western Stars - The Movie thread

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ironically, we had to drive to the outskirts of Munich for the film, which happens to be the place where my first Bruce show took place in 93. A lot happened to both of us since. The life that happene

I will post this in hopes it finds you well. I will include these two quotes as an introduction to what I have written. The first one is a favorite quote from a movie where a Texas law man has decided

Everyone's comments and expectations have got me even more excited to see the film day after tomorrow, but there's one thing I don't share with most of you and that's the desire for a nearby showing.

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Yes, they are Bruce's and Patti's hands, Eileen. I thought that was a nice touch to the film.

That's why I'd like a still of that bit - it was over before I realised. I may have to ask Santy for the DVD after all.

• Like 1
Just now, whispered secret said:

I know what you mean about hands Eileen - when I look at the backs of my hands, I see my mum's. 

Going off topic for a minute - my sister became a grandma recently to a gorgeous boy! His hands are very expressive, always folding his fingers and holding his hands together. My mum dug out some photos of my sister at the same age (3-4 months) and guess what? Uncanny :)

As you were.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Neil57channels said:

At the very start of the movie there is Bruce’s hand on the steering wheel, signifying for me the lone cowboy, the solitary man that populates so many of these songs. At the end, there’s the hand again, this time joined by another’s. Both beautifully weathered and aged, telling their own stories of lives lived. And the two hands together, for me, signifying, if we’re lucky, that we don’t and we can’t take this journey alone.

Yes, all drawn together beautifully. I got that bit, too … just didn't realise it was THEIR hands. It gave me a bit of a start.

I knew it was Bruce's hand at the beginning but heck, Patti … I love your hand.

• Like 2

UK Screenings still to come (so far)

Tonight and next Monday in Walsall

https://walsall.lightcinemas.co.uk/

Wednesday in Bristol

https://www.watershed.co.uk/

Tuesday 5th November in Barnes (south London)

https://www.olympiccinema.co.uk/

Will keep an eye out for any others as would like to watch it again mid-late November at one of those cinemas that show films on their 2nd run

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Decent turnout for a cold Monday night in Dunfermline at £15 a ticket, with around 3/4 full.

I thought the film was a great concept and the music performances were sublime.

Similar to HRC 2012, the big screen production adds a lot to the experience.

Didn't mind Q and A, maybe because  Edith is a "Local Hero" and seemed genuinely enthralled by the movie.

I noticed the trailers for Shakira and INXS concerts coming to the cinema, so maybe this is the new gig going.

• Like 2

Watched the film. Loved the live performances and the SOUND man the sound! Loved the reverberating vocals. 

I was a little disappointed that the vignettes were so short... in some instances they were like one minuet long. I have to say I was hoping for more in that regard. The most striking introduction was for Stones, I felt as though I was in purgatory.

Re. Stones.... I cant believe that so many are saying they don't like it on the album, it is probably the song I play the most. 

• Like 5

In spite of Bruce styling himself a bit often as the lone ranger, I enjoyed the interludes. If he had sounded less pompous at times, that would have been even better.

When the hands came together at the end, I hesitated for a moment: Can this old-looking hand really be Patti's? Then I looked at mine and knew: yes.

I really do need the DVD so I can watch it again several times. Amazon Germany still doesn't have a clue.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

how does one actually pronounce Nant Garw ?

is it a village or the name of a picture theatre ?

Nant is Nant, Garw is Garoo.

It's a town north of Cardiff. Bruce has never been there, to my knowledge.

:D

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, red headed woman said:

And at this point I'm going to put it out there and say it is my favourite Springsteen album :ph34r:

Most people will choose a different album as their favourite and let’s be honest there’s a few to rival WS, but I personally think WS is his best work.

After relative flops (by Bruce’s standards) of WOAD and HH in the last decade, most people doubted he could produce an album like this in what is the autumn of his career. But he has produced an album to better most (if not all) of his life’s work in music. Incredible, just incredible. 

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1
5 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

let’s be honest there’s a few to rival WS, but I personally think WS is his best work.

If WS is his best work this means Bruce has been doing the 'wrong' music for the last five decades... 

• Love Love Love! 1
10 hours ago, albiedog said:

Fact cinema Liverpool. Looked like a full house. 

I'm convinced we all just witnessed a masterpiece. Everyone seemingly  held spellbound. HitchHiker, Wayfarer and Sleepy Joe were all fine by me before but each have now been subtly transformed by Bruce so that they match the majesty of the other ten tracks. Breathtaking..

I'm glad Hitch Hikin' is getting recognition. I've loved it since the very first time I heard it :)

• Like 4

@red headed woman I’d certainly have it in the very upper range of his greatest albums. I’m not sure anything will quite eclipse BTR or Darkness but this album feels as central and important to who he is now as those works did back then. There’s just such a tremendous honesty and insight into human beings about it. 

I’d probably have it number 3 in my list. It’s just an incredible piece of work.

Still can’t stop listening to it. 

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2
3 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

It’s a standout from the movie. The build is tremendous.

I know :) But I've loved the studio version build up too - I think some people miss hearing it on that one. Just the other day in the car mr jmw said he loved the song - the way it builds. Clever old Bruce, eh?

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Couple of random thoughts.

I felt he looked a little blank in the eyes at times. Just not quite with it. Mostly on the earlier tracks and I thought he warmed to the performance from the title track on. Maybe a combo of the filming taking place but also a rather notable reliance on a lyric prompter which I assume was at the back of the audience. 

At one point Patti clearly glances up at the prompter mid line when she’s sharing the mic with Bruce. May have been during MM.

Maybe it’s just me on that slight “blankness” he sometimes has these days. Certainly didn’t notice it on the chat shows I’ve seen him do lately. 

I've noticed that for a while now. Not all the time but its there.

Here for my annual post :D Enjoyed the film last night in Leeds. Nothing jumped out and changed my appreciation of the album because I was 100% on board with it already but the strings were fabulous, so powerful. A couple of lines of lyrics I hadn't fully appreciated that I will look forward to finding in my headphones on my next dog walk or run but nothing else really. The vignettes between the songs were cool but nothing we haven't really seen before - the Super 8 footage in the BITUSA video and  carnival themes on the TOL video. My favourite bits were the widescreen shots of the horses and skies. Breathtaking. I could have taken a lot more of that. Some of the spoken parts were a little dark, stilted and OTT. Unpopular opinion but I think I've had almost my fill of Biography Bruce now.

But this is easily his strongest work for years. I have thoroughly enjoyed large parts of all of his albums since TOL in the last 30 years but on many there was always a little bit here or there to have a little quibble with if you wanted to nit pick (GOTJ, Seeger, DiD aside). This is a complete piece of work stylistically start to finish and refreshingly different and while there are no Top 10 hits on it there are also no rehashed songs tacked on as well (I'm looking at you American Land, American Skin, GOTJ with Tom Morello and Dream Baby Dream). 

• Like 3

I'd forgotten all about the beautiful hand shot at the end, husband and wife weathered together.   Wonderful touch.

Also, is Patti smoking in some of the old footage, the shot in particular where she's wearing the awful 80 high waisted jeans and white T shirt?  

1 hour ago, Pregnant Sally said:

I'd forgotten all about the beautiful hand shot at the end, husband and wife weathered together.   Wonderful touch.

Also, is Patti smoking in some of the old footage, the shot in particular where she's wearing the awful 80 high waisted jeans and white T shirt?  

Patti did smoke. I saw her at Milton Keynes ‘93 backstage with a couple others smoking during the acoustic part at the start of the show.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Eileen said:

Well now … bit of an adventure actually getting to the cinema but made it with time to spare … pity others didn't - get out the way, man! :D

I really enjoyed the film - well done, Bruce. Stand-out songs for me were Chasing Wild Horses and Sleepy Joe's Café - others are better on the studio version - I won't be buying the soundtrack or DVD or whatever else comes out.

I loved the spoken bits and had to reach for my hanky before CWH - that caught me unawares.

I thought Patti sounded good on Stones but, like a couple of others, the song was just ok. The first bit on Moonlight Motel was passable, the whispered bit (?) was an 'Eh'? moment - the whole thing wasn't a patch on the studio version.

I'd have got up before or during the Q & A bit but I'd have made a fuss getting my stuff together - quite a few decided to leave.

Can anybody please put a photo up of the last bit of the hands, please?  I thought (probably rightly) that it was Bruce's hand until the other hand came in so I thought they were the hands of older people - to show love enduring. Then, it occurred to me they were THEIR hands.

I have a cherished memory of holding my dad's hand and realising our hands were very similar   The backs of my hands remind me that I'm getting older but they also remind me of him - so that's ok. 

When I look at Bruce and Patti up on the screen I'm not looking at the people within. The hands at the end are.

Rhinestone Cowboy was jolly but I didn't need it … or the Q & A.

Best bit? The overall feeling the songs and the spoken bits gave me. 

Thanks, Bruce … for everything.

Agree about Moonlight Motel, good but didn't come close to the album version and Rhinestone Cowboy, nice but not really necessary, oh, and camp as hell! I expected there to be more to the spoken interludes, and was surprised by the brevity of them. Hitchhiking is an amazing song, and really needs more praise! I also thought Chasing Wild Horses (definitely with the pronounced 'h') may have been the highlight. Still wanted to fast forward through Sundown and There Goes My Miracle. The whole thing was kind of like an expanded  version of the Hunter of Invisible Game video he did. The Q+A was rubbish and the interviewer particularly pretentious.