Greasy Lake Community

Western Stars - The Movie thread

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ironically, we had to drive to the outskirts of Munich for the film, which happens to be the place where my first Bruce show took place in 93. A lot happened to both of us since. The life that happene

I will post this in hopes it finds you well. I will include these two quotes as an introduction to what I have written. The first one is a favorite quote from a movie where a Texas law man has decided

Everyone's comments and expectations have got me even more excited to see the film day after tomorrow, but there's one thing I don't share with most of you and that's the desire for a nearby showing.

Posted Images

3 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

I'm glad Hitch Hikin' is getting recognition. I've loved it since the very first time I heard it :)

As you previously said... He had you at ‘THUUUUMB!’ 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

I know :) But I've loved the studio version build up too - I think some people miss hearing it on that one. Just the other day in the car mr jmw said he loved the song - the way it builds. Clever old Bruce, eh?

I feel that way about a lot of them.  Studio and film... 

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
19 minutes ago, bobfan1976 said:

. The whole thing was kind of like an expanded  version of the Hunter of Invisible Game video he did. 

Damn, I missed the parts last night where he took his shirt off and rode a horse.

• Haha 1

Something else I forgot to comment on, first time I've seen Ron Aniello speak or what he looks like for that matter, don't know what I expected or why I'd have any expectation as to what he looked like but I was kinda surprised.  He sorta reminded me of some young Everlast, his style with the hat and such. 

Like I could picture him picking up a mic and doing a rockin' rap song or something.  

50 minutes ago, kevharrison said:

Patti did smoke. I saw her at Milton Keynes ‘93 backstage with a couple others smoking during the acoustic part at the start of the show.

I saw her below the stage in Calgary during the rising tour smoking during Jungleland. No idea if she still does it not.

5 minutes ago, Troublette said:

I saw her below the stage in Calgary during the rising tour smoking during Jungleland. No idea if she still does it not.

Funny that we could still smoke indoors even back in '02/'03, seems so long ago that we could smoke anywhere but our own homes or cars or on the street. 

Unless some can just do whatever the hell they want and smoke anywhere. as is the case probably with many celebs.  

1 minute ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Funny that we could still smoke indoors even back in '02/'03, seems so long ago that we could smoke anywhere but our own homes or cars or on the street. 

Unless some can just do whatever the hell they want and smoke anywhere. as is the case probably with many celebs.  

A far better place the world is post smoking ban too.

Except for smokers maybe I guess.

I left that tribe about a year ago thankfully. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Tom-Joad said:

I read it somewhere and it’s true, Malick would have done a great job with this.

Good job with raising the pretentiousness level through the roof, maybe... 

I liked the panoramic views and horses - but soon tired of the scenery. It's probably meant to be just 'nothingness' but give me 'nothingness plus heather' any day. Not places I'd be itching to visit.

Actually, same with the barn. Nice enough … but give me a covered bridge any day.

• Haha 1
58 minutes ago, 100yrsOld said:

Good job with raising the pretentiousness level through the roof, maybe... 

If you’re saying that Badlands or Thin Red Line are pretentious, I will just have to disagree. He’s made some of the best movies ever and he could have made a brilliant job with this. 

• Like 1

Another thing, anyone notice how Bruce said when he and Patti would sit on the bench where he proposed he'd drink out of a paper bag or they both would?

I'm tellin' ya folks, thems two singing that damn MM at the end, water on the floor by me feet everywhere at the cinema.  

• Like 2

Loved it!   Would have liked a bit more scenery, that's all.  I'm glad I hadn't watched or listened to anything other than the trailer beforehand.

My friend hadn't even listened to the studio album in advance, but enjoyed it all and has put it on his shopping list.  On the way there I told him that there would be a Glen Campbell cover and to guess the song, but he claimed not to know any Glen Campbell songs :D  He was forced to backtrack when I started reciting the lyrics of RC, and he realised that he even knew all the words to that one.  :lol:

I didn't really notice how many people were in the room - maybe 30-ish?  We saw it in Reading, but it was also showing at another cinema just outside Reading where it was advertised first, so there may have been more people at that showing.  Strangely the cinema was dark as we approached (it's one of those plate-glass exteriors), and if we hadn't booked I'd have been worried because it looked closed!   Very odd and not likely to attract casual customers.

Not really tempted to buy another CD version, but would like to get Rhinestone Cowboy.  I might buy the blu-ray at some point, but it would have been nice to have another chance to watch this in the cinema.

• Like 4
28 minutes ago, Eileen said:

I liked the panoramic views and horses - but soon tired of the scenery. It's probably meant to be just 'nothingness' but give me 'nothingness plus heather' any day. Not places I'd be itching to visit.

Actually, same with the barn. Nice enough … but give me a covered bridge any day.

Give me nothingness plus heather...brilliant! LoL.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
1 minute ago, janeymarywendy said:

It certainly did.  I don't really like cacti either, but heather wouldn't have fitted Bruce's nothingness, eh? :lol:

I'm glad I live within shouting distance of heather-clad nothingness.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
21 minutes ago, Eileen said:

I'm glad I live within shouting distance of heather-clad nothingness.

& here I thought Morpeth was a booming burg.

• Haha 1