A Saint in the city

Western Stars - The Movie thread

21 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

£21? 

I thought £16 at Thorpe Park, Leeds was bad enough.

£11.50 here.

I finally found it in my local theatre listing.  Playing as of Oct 25 until at least the 29th.  

• Bruuuuce! 1

3 hours ago, Kburke said:

I can’t imagine they would show a prerecorded Q&A.   Is it possible Bruce could be there? What city are you located? 

I think it's a recording of the Toronto Q&A.  All the UK showings seem to include it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kburke said:

No spoilers please — give everyone a chance to hear things for themselves first.  

Shirley Surely, if someone didn't want to know about the film before seeing it, they wouldn't be reading this thread.

Just a thought.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Eden said:

£11.50 here.

15.50 and that is as a senior, 17.50 otherwise.

19 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Shirley Surely, if someone didn't want to know about the film before seeing it, they wouldn't be reading this thread.

Just a thought.

Well I might.   Just saying.  

We could change the thread title to include  “SPOILERS!” so people don’t make that mistake.  

• Like 1

Tomorrow, I will drive two hours to take in this film.

I cannot wait and have been playing the record in HD all week.

I will post my thoughts asap after I get back.

I will also see it on Friday when it comes out. My CD is preordered from Amazon.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

as someone who never goes to the flicks are these prices normal? if not why are they so expensive

Around here, it depends on the theatre.  

There are a few theaters that are older, and therefore a few dollars cheaper ($11.00); and the one in my town has a ‘Tuesday’ special with a $5.00 price for all films.  Waiting to see if WS plays there on the 25th. 

Where I’m going tonight (and where I first saw BBTL), WS is the same price ($15.00) in this theatre, as it is for any other film. 

There are newer theaters that are more expensive; and/or you can opt for a ‘more expensive’ seat (reclines, more room), and for even more money have food delivered to your seat.  

In general, ticket prices for movies have been climbing for years now.  We rarely go, just for that reason.  

4 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

There are newer theaters that are more expensive; and/or you can opt for a ‘more expensive’ seat (reclines, more room), and for even more money have food delivered to your seat.  

We've had these for a while now, they're called "VIP" theatres here - waitresses/waiters come to your seat and you can order menu items or booze.  

I've been once, 20 bucks admission and I didn't want to have a drink for the pee factor and all I want at the theatre is popcorn and liquorice anyway, no need for spring rolls.  So once was enough.  

Dine in theatres have existed for at least a decade there is a chain called studio movie grill but actual movie tickets there only cost 6 to 12 dollars and you don’t have to eat or drink...

the new ones well god knows who can afford to go there probably just doctors lawyers and bankers the one in Alpharetta offers tickets between 16 and 20 dollars ... haven’t been yet why go when the other one is 10 minutes away for a third of the price

20 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Just a thought.

You called ;), actually I was trying not to watch any clips before seeing on 28th but still reading this thread which is only making me more impatient to see.. 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AMIW said:

Dine in theatres have existed for at least a decade 

No idea if there were any around here for that long.   I’ve only seen them in a few of the newly built theaters.    

11 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

as someone who never goes to the flicks are these prices normal? if not why are they so expensive

I go to the cinema a lot and prices vary greatly. Our local Picturehouse (which is closing in January:() has afternoon weekday tickets for £5 for members, rising to £10 for evening weekends. The more expensive Everyman, which is really comfy is between £11 and £14.50. To see this film we have to go into Birmingham, as it is not showing in Stratford and I think the tickets are £12.50.

The Vue in Leeds has all tickets for all films at £5, which is very good value. I only know this because I went with my sister to see Yesterday and was surprised at how cheap it was.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

The Vue in Leeds has all tickets for all films at £5, which is very good value.

£16.24 it says for Western Stars.

56 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

No idea if there were any around here for that long.   I’ve only seen them in a few of the newly built theaters.    

Odd the first here was 2010 if I search dine in and Atlanta I get 23 matches but if I do it for New Jersey it only shows 3 for the entire state... bet it was your former governor who stopped them opening,,,,

1 hour ago, whispered secret said:

I go to the cinema a lot and prices vary greatly. Our local Picturehouse (which is closing in January:() has afternoon weekday tickets for £5 for members, rising to £10 for evening weekends. The more expensive Everyman, which is really comfy is between £11 and £14.50. To see this film we have to go into Birmingham, as it is not showing in Stratford and I think the tickets are £12.50.

The Vue in Leeds has all tickets for all films at £5, which is very good value. I only know this because I went with my sister to see Yesterday and was surprised at how cheap it was.

My local Vue cinema, Stratford Westfield on The Olympic Park site in East London, prices all general release films at £6.99, £4.99 on Mondays, but prices for one off showings are generally much higher, for Western Stars £17. This might explain at present in the 270 seat room that’s being used for Western Stars they’ve only sold 14 tickets. I’m booked to see Western Stars in The Prince Charles Cinema in central London, just off Leicester Square, which is priced at £12.50 reduced to £10 for members. The Prince Charles is an independent cinema and unlike most other venues showing Western Stars has two showings on Oct 28th rather than just one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AMIW said:

Dine in theatres have existed for at least a decade there is a chain called studio movie grill but actual movie tickets there only cost 6 to 12 dollars and you don’t have to eat or drink...

the new ones well god knows who can afford to go there probably just doctors lawyers and bankers the one in Alpharetta offers tickets between 16 and 20 dollars ... haven’t been yet why go when the other one is 10 minutes away for a third of the price

do you dine in front of the movie or out the front ?

we have lots of art house theaters with really great cafes 

i do like taking a beer into a movie or a G&T and those coffee table things they have between the seats are awsome

i wish those guys screened all the blockbusters 

but they don't all do popcorn and to me its not going to the pictures without popcorn

when i went to 20 feet from stardom it was right in town in a very arty part of town

i just turned up in tee shirt and shorts and everyone else was very arty looking ...or maybe more the 1960s womans liberating movement reunion 

who cares - at least they clapped :lol:

On 10/17/2019 at 12:53 PM, A Saint in the city said:

Now that the film is going to be on general release, I though it would be good if it had its own thread... 

I was lucky enough to see it in London last week, and absolutely loved it. 

However now that most of the rest of GL should be catching up over the next few weeks, I would like to hear others opinions. 

Do you prefer it live to the album? 

Is there any songs that surprised you?

Did you like the explanations behind the songs? 

Really liked the film and totally worth seeing on the big screen. 

Mix on preference. Some stuff I really loved live - stones was astounding - but others like - hello sunshine - I though were a bit weaker. I’ve only heard it once live though so, not saying this is definitive. 

Stones was astounding, way more dynamic than the studio version and for me was the centerpiece of the film. 

Also Sleepy Joe’s was really good live. Light and day from the studio version. 

The intros definitely added to some songs, others just felt perfunctory and didn’t really add much. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Loved, loved, LOVED it!!!!  

A very detailed review here is mine

some singing

some talking

some horses

some desert scenes

some crying...

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 3