Greasy Lake Community

Western Stars - The Movie thread

1 minute ago, 100yrsOld said:

What do you think has changed in the since then ? 

some of the hate of WOAD has died down

(some of) the fan base is getting older 

i very much see WOAD and TOL and now  WS as all being brothers 

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ironically, we had to drive to the outskirts of Munich for the film, which happens to be the place where my first Bruce show took place in 93. A lot happened to both of us since. The life that happene

I will post this in hopes it finds you well. I will include these two quotes as an introduction to what I have written. The first one is a favorite quote from a movie where a Texas law man has decided

Everyone's comments and expectations have got me even more excited to see the film day after tomorrow, but there's one thing I don't share with most of you and that's the desire for a nearby showing.

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

If Tom Petty(as an example) made this album, would it be a masterpiece? 

i think we'd have to ask Tom Petty fans that question and its very sad they no longer have Tom Petty with them :(

5 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Well that's good.  I'll check with you before I post in the future to see if my posts are respectful enough.

You can be my proof reader so hope your 100 year old eyes are holdin' up.  

This I like :)

10 minutes ago, 100yrsOld said:

What do you think has changed in the since then ? 

Just my opinion, after a very successful Wrecking Ball/High Hopes and River 16/17 tour, like Daisey said most of the base would have rebelled. 

Wait 5 or so years and we would have taken anything.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, 100yrsOld said:

From a thematic point of view you mean? What similarities do you see? 

well ...

the big sweeping sounds of the music  and his really beautiful singing 

and yes also the themes although WOAD has more optimism 

i would say they are both set in life's autum 

WOAD the leaves are only just starting to turn, still very much attached to the tree

by WS the leaves are well and truly on ths ground

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
23 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Just my opinion, after a very successful Wrecking Ball/High Hopes and River 16/17 tour, like Daisey said most of the base would have rebelled. 

Wait 5 or so years and we would have taken anything.  

I don't agree with that statement at all. I had fairly low expectations of WS based on the fact that he had sat on it for years, that I was disappointed in High Hopes and thought his best years were behind him.

Totally wrong on my part. I really believe WS is up there with his best which, for me, are BTR, Darkness & Nebraska. So no, I wouldn't have 'taken anything' .

• Like 6
3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

If this album was made by any other artist, we wouldn't have even mentioned it. 

I think that statement is complete bolloc   Speak for yourself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

well ...

the big sweeping sounds of the music  and his really beautiful singing 

and yes also the themes although WOAD has more optimism 

i would say they are both set in life's autum 

WOAD the leaves are only just starting to turn, still very much attached to the tree

by WS the leaves are well and truly on ths ground

Thank you for the answer :)

I wasn't actually aware of how WOAD had divided the fan base. 

I actually quite like it, as I like WS but they're far from being my personal musical refuge as many other Bruce's albums are. 

Mine is more an issue of musical language, I'm under the impression that with a more basic musical approach WS could be even better than it is. 

3 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

I don't agree with that statement at all. I had fairly low expectations of WS based on the fact that he had sat on it for years, that I was disappointed in High Hopes and thought his best years were behind him.

Totally wrong on my part. I really believe WS is up there with his best which, for me, are BTR, Darkness & Nebraska. So no, I wouldn't have 'taken anything' .

Agreed - I personally thought The River RebootTour was the most pointless thing he’s done so far. 

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

From my point of view I have to admit that WS shows an internal cohesion that was lacking since the DD and Rising years, and this is no small achievement, it's part of what makes it so successful.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, 100yrsOld said:

All great songs IMO, maybe DBD not as good... 

they are but because they had already been used in shows for a long time it felt by adding them that it took the shine off the albums they sat on. highlighting or at least raising the question that perhaps Bruce was running out of material and when you've grown up with an artist that has put so much effort into creating singular pieces of work with a narrative that fits it felt those songs on those albums cheapened them a little. if that makes sense.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Big Steven said:

they are but because they had already been used in shows for a long time it felt by adding them that it took the shine off the albums they sat on. highlighting or at least raising the question that perhaps Bruce was running out of material and when you've grown up with an artist that has put so much effort into creating singular pieces of work with a narrative that fits it felt those songs on those albums cheapened them a little. if that makes sense.

It does indeed, now I see what it's all about. HH actually is quite a mixed bag, more a collection of songs than actual 'album'. 

• Like 2

After Bruce explained the meaning of Western Stars song and Drive Fast. Do you think Bruce wrote those tunes for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood? Because the way he explained those characters is Leo's and Brad's characters. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Big Steven said:

because they had already been used in shows for a long time it felt by adding them that it took the shine off the albums they sat on. highlighting or at least raising the question that perhaps Bruce was running out of material and when you've grown up with an artist that has put so much effort into creating singular pieces of work with a narrative that fits it felt those songs on those albums cheapened them a little. if that makes sense.

I didn't feel like that.  I was pleased to get them.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

some of the hate of WOAD has died down

(some of) the fan base is getting older 

i very much see WOAD and TOL and now  WS as all being brothers 

WOAD is awful, most of the songs are mediocre at best. TOL has nothing in common with WOAD or WS in my opinion. Western Stars is a very, very good album, because it features (mostly) very, very good songs, and maybe one or two masterpieces; the storytelling in Moonlight Motel is songwriting at its absolute finest, and then the vocal/arrangement. Brilliant. The strings just enhance the album, especially if you like (which I do) that western sound. In fact, seeing Western Stars has made me dig out all those old western movies; I started with the remake of The Magnificent Seven today, tomorrow it's Pale Rider...

That being said Drive Hard is a retread of The Wrestler, or any other of his down at luck character songs, I will never be able to enjoy Miracle or Sundown because that type of pop song just does nothing for me. I love the rest of the album though, even Sleepy Joe's Cafe, which, although inconsequential on its own, provides a little light relief.

1 hour ago, 100yrsOld said:

It does indeed, now I see what it's all about. HH actually is quite a mixed bag, more a collection of songs than actual 'album'. 

High Hopes still had The Wall, Hunter of Invisible Game, Frankie Fell In Love, American Skin, ok a lot of the rest are average to awful, but treat it as Tracks Disc 5 and it's actually pretty good. I rate it far higher than WOAD.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Agreed - I personally thought The River RebootTour was the most pointless thing he’s done so far. 

I personally thought it was absolutely fantastic. I saw 6 amazing shows.  Wish I could’ve seen 6 more. 

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
3 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

It was certainly the strangest tour he has ever done...even now I just can't make sense of it.

Why didn't he tour the Born to Run or the Darkness boxset release ? There were some great shows on the 2016 tour and I was lucky to see two of them, but the whole thing at the time had me thinking it was the band'd farewell tour. Thankfully it would appear I was wrong.

• Like 1