Greasy Lake Community

Western Stars - The Movie thread

51 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I personally thought it was absolutely fantastic. I saw 6 amazing shows.  Wish I could’ve seen 6 more. 

I went to three shows, and still only heard half of the River songs.  :(
He just played more or less the same ones at all the shows.  It was such a disappointment.

• Sad 1
  • Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ironically, we had to drive to the outskirts of Munich for the film, which happens to be the place where my first Bruce show took place in 93. A lot happened to both of us since. The life that happene

I will post this in hopes it finds you well. I will include these two quotes as an introduction to what I have written. The first one is a favorite quote from a movie where a Texas law man has decided

Everyone's comments and expectations have got me even more excited to see the film day after tomorrow, but there's one thing I don't share with most of you and that's the desire for a nearby showing.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

some of the hate of WOAD has died down

(some of) the fan base is getting older 

i very much see WOAD and TOL and now  WS as all being brothers 

So do I.

Well, actually Western Stars for me is very tied in with his other solo albums Nebraska, Joad, Tunnel of Love and especially Devils and Dust. Personally I don't see any similarity with Working on a Dream...although Sundown maybe sounds a bit like it could have came from that album...great song.  I can't understand the dislike for WOAD either but it's all about taste. Many of the songs on that album were excellent in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

A couple thoughts I wanted to share after my fourth viewing of Western Stars....

Busier night at the theatre, with about 30 people in the audience.  Perhaps because it is half-price Tuesday. :lol:

Someone posted earlier that Bruce was reading the lyrics while performing for a big part of the film (don’t recall who said that, sorry).  I watched really carefully and I just didn’t see that.  To me it appeared like he was looking either directly into the camera (and thus, right into my eyes, a LOT) or just singing to the audience.  (This is in contrast to SoB, where I perceived him as reading quite a bit.)

Patti has never been my favourite part of the band, but I think her contribution to Moonlight Motel is really strong.  It improves the song, in my opinion.  (Stones, not so much.)

I absolutely love the live performance, but on the way home afterwards, I put on the original CD for the first time in a week, and Bruce’s voice and performance is still excellent there.  I anticipate I’ll be listening to both versions in the future, not just the live one.  

And there was no fish-flopping.  Not at all.   

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 2
47 minutes ago, Rizla said:

He just played more or less the same ones at all the shows.  It was such a disappointment.

Sorry you didn’t have a better experience.  

I still would’ve loved those extra 3 shows... 

3 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I personally thought it was absolutely fantastic. I saw 6 amazing shows.  Wish I could’ve seen 6 more. 

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

the aniversary river tour is my favourite tour of the modern era

2 hours ago, Rizla said:

i got river tour merchandise and no river 

so i understand your disappointment 

Looking back on the River tour, whilst I really enjoyed the three shows I saw, like @Rizla I was disappointed not to get the whole album and I do think it was an odd tour. 

Probably because there was no new album to promote, it did have an 'end of an era' feel to it, which is why I got so upset in Rome, I truly thought that would be the last time I saw the mighty ESB.

SOB almost felt as if it was confirming what I had thought - he had moved on, trying something brand new and amazing. Now we get WS, again something so completely new and fresh and wonderful.

But it looks as if I was wrong and ESB are not finished, it was just Bruce having a hiatus, something not that unusual after all.

I just pray any new album is a worthy successor to WS.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
1 hour ago, whispered secret said:

I just pray any new album is a worthy successor to WS.

I think this has given Bruce a fantastic problem. Assuming the new album will trigger the next E Street Band tour (hopefully in 2020) it is most likely still in progress. It wouldn’t surprise me if he has 30+ songs under consideration already of which 12 or 13 will make the final cut. 

If the new album is as good as Wrecking Ball then I sign up to see 5+ shows right now. 

• Like 5

high hopes was nice in that he brought the band back to NZ  since their first time durring the rising tour which by some accounts he hadn't enjoyed terribly the venue 

my distain for Tom Commie more than equals some people's dislike for WOAD

i reallu loved the American beauty but ive lost my mp3 of it and my record player is in Chch so i hope we get a new tracks like release 

as dot the river being the end ....

at the final night of the summer tour Bruce said as the night was wrapoing up

"we will be back"

if anyone doubts this invest in Nugs

he's always said there will be no farewell ESB tour 

becareful what you wish for because one day it will be the last but personally Bruce has much better genetics than i do

i see him out living me 

and i think while he is of sound mind he will continue to perform and tour well into 'older age'

there has never been a Springsteen record ive never wished he released

they all have value and add in some way to his narrative

the banjos are not my cup of tea but its a good excuse to drink copious amounts of alcohol and it was also a valid comment on the times

one thing i give SS credit for is how much fun Bruce and everyone is happening 

so far be it for me to denie a simple man* his simple peasure

the next record, weather i love it straight away - or i have to work a little and really listen and pay attention  before it here comfortable under my skin - i have faith in what ever his next record sounds like- and no two records have ever wounder the same - but i will love it 

now pass tlme the spiked pitcher of cool aid

*his words, not mine ;)

• Like 2
7 hours ago, MacBruce said:

It was certainly the strangest tour he has ever done...even now I just can't make sense of it.

Why didn't he tour the Born to Run or the Darkness boxset release ? There were some great shows on the 2016 tour and I was lucky to see two of them, but the whole thing at the time had me thinking it was the band'd farewell tour. Thankfully it would appear I was wrong.

I thought the shows were fun. They almost always are. They just seemed a bit odd to me.

i have listened to every show on that tour- some many many times

i just didn't appreate the concept  when the tour was announced and for eternity im kicking myself i didn't see a show 

every single performance of that album was different 

point blank actually eclipsed 77/78

4 hours ago, 100yrsOld said:

I love all his music in different ways. 

100%. 

4 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

there has never been a Springsteen record ive never wished he released

they all have value and add in some way to his narrative

That’s it, for me, in a nutshell.  

I don’t care if he is or isn’t touring behind a new album.  Don’t care that High Hopes was a sort of hodge-podge collection.  I love that collection.  

I most certainly have my favorites/preferences/wishes, and a very few songs I’m still ‘chasing;’ however I’m extremely lucky to have heard pretty much everything I wanted to hear, and more.  

For me it’s the total experience.  Sure, the set list is important.  But since one person’s joy is another person’s disdain, he’s never ever EVER going to please everyone; so weird as it sounds, the set list itself is for me, secondary.   

I just want to be where the E Street Band is.  And if not, then I just want to be where Bruce is.  

Pass the kool-aid DJ.  I prefer grape or cherry. 

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

100%. 

I don’t care if he is or isn’t touring behind a new album.  Don’t care that High Hopes was a sort of hodge-podge collection.  I love that collection.  

While I most certainly have my favorites/preferences/wishes, and a very few songs I’m still ‘chasing;’ however I’m extremely lucky to have heard pretty much everything I wanted to hear, and more.  

For me it’s the total experience.  Sure, the set list is important.  But since one person’s joy is another person’s disdain, he’s never ever EVER going to please everyone; so weird as it sounds, the set list itself is for me, secondary.   

I just want to be where the E Street Band is.  And if not, then I just want to be where Bruce is.  

grape it is ! :lol:

what flavour is yellow ?

Screen-Shot-2019-06-14-at-12.01.12-PM-1560528105-640x498.png

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

100%. 

While I most certainly have my favorites/preferences/wishes, and a very few songs I’m still ‘chasing;’ however I’m extremely lucky to have heard pretty much everything I wanted to hear, and more.  

You nailed down my exact thoughts, thank you so much :wub:

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
17 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Agreed - I personally thought The River RebootTour was the most pointless thing he’s done so far. 

15 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

I'm with RJM, I went to 2 whole River Album shows. And got 14 songs I never seen in concert before. So it was better for me than promoting a new album, as the most they would play from any new album would be what 7-8 new songs? So I say for me it was a win. 

• Bruuuuce! 2

Two more things I've remembered in the spirit of the two old hands and the sweeper upper.

The look on the first violinist's  face as she's ripping that solo on Stones, and the look on Bruce's face as the strings swoop in at the end of CWH.  Great stuff, revealing how much it means.

Off topic slightly, I also love the look on our hero's face when the horns kick in at the end of Long Time Coming on the SSB Dublin DVD.  Joyous.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, MacBruce said:

It was certainly the strangest tour he has ever done...even now I just can't make sense of it.

Why didn't he tour the Born to Run or the Darkness boxset release ? There were some great shows on the 2016 tour and I was lucky to see two of them, but the whole thing at the time had me thinking it was the band'd farewell tour. Thankfully it would appear I was wrong.

I think the reason he toured the River is that there are so many songs on the two album set that had not seen the light of day in many years as far as concert performances are concerned.  Most of Born to Run and Darkness gets played every show with an occasional bonus track thrown in.

• Like 1