Greasy Lake Community

Western Stars - The Movie thread

29 minutes ago, Robwarrior said:

I think the reason he toured the River is that there are so many songs on the two album set that had not seen the light of day in many years as far as concert performances are concerned.  Most of Born to Run and Darkness gets played every show with an occasional bonus track thrown in.

If I remember correctly, Bruce had said he was doing the River tour 16, because his new material (Western Stars) wouldn't need the use of the ESB on that tour. Than something went wrong or right mattering how you look at it. :P

• Like 1
  • Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ironically, we had to drive to the outskirts of Munich for the film, which happens to be the place where my first Bruce show took place in 93. A lot happened to both of us since. The life that happene

I will post this in hopes it finds you well. I will include these two quotes as an introduction to what I have written. The first one is a favorite quote from a movie where a Texas law man has decided

Everyone's comments and expectations have got me even more excited to see the film day after tomorrow, but there's one thing I don't share with most of you and that's the desire for a nearby showing.

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, Robwarrior said:

I think the reason he toured the River is that there are so many songs on the two album set that had not seen the light of day in many years as far as concert performances are concerned.  Most of Born to Run and Darkness gets played every show with an occasional bonus track thrown in.

I think he also toured The River so that himself, his band and his crew could earn a few bob.  Not to mention hangers on like Landau and Carr.

;)

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, jukeblue said:

Lots of screenings appearing for next week now in various parts of the UK

Now more are popping up in my town, of course last week I thought I was more limited and had to rush to get to a viewing.

Maybe it did better than expected.  

• Like 1

just listened to this from rolling stone

interview with Thom Zimmy on WS movie

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/bruce-springsteen-western-stars-movie-thom-zimny-905462/

Touches on hunter video and Darkness paramount 

Also Patti's contribution and Bruce asking people not to clap till the end plus Rhindstone cowboy 

7 hours ago, Robwarrior said:

I think the reason he toured the River is that there are so many songs on the two album set that had not seen the light of day in many years as far as concert performances are concerned. 

So why he didn't he bloody well play them for us then?  :angry:

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Rizla said:

So why he didn't he bloody well play them for us then? 

Because half the way through he got damn sick of repeating the same routine every night and was able to do it (it's a concert tour not a show)... ;)

3 hours ago, 100yrsOld said:

Because half the way through he got damn sick of repeating the same routine every night and was able to do it (it's a concert tour not a show)... ;)

But it was ADVERTISED that he would play the full album.   Live Nation pulled those ads as soon as it became clear that he was going off-script.
Some of us kept screenshots though.  ;)

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Rizla said:

But it was ADVERTISED that he would play the full album.   Live Nation pulled those ads as soon as it became clear that he was going off-script.

Sue him!  :)

44 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

That there Gunnar Nelson is a brilliant drummer. In fact, to my ears that whole band were spot on.

Does Bruce really need the ESB?

I'd read that he didn't even know it was Bruce he was performing for - something along the lines of management telling him to get ready for a gig yet they didn't tell him, being from Jersey, where he was going or who he was playing with.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Rizla said:

When the tour was first announced, I heard it said that Bruce had said (from the beginning) that the full album shows were to be only in the US, and it would be ‘River heavy’ in other countries, with possibly a full album show here and there.  

I was truly surprised and confused when I saw people saying they were going to full album shows outside the US.   I remember asking someone if they were sure, and he indeed sent me a screenshot.  I thought... okaaaay then! 

Then of course we know what happened.  

I don’t know if it was a miscommunication or human error or what with Live Nation.  

Bottom line is you thought you were getting something that you didn’t, and that’s extremely disappointing.  

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Bottom line is you thought you were getting something that you didn’t, and that’s extremely disappointing.  

Very disappointing, but as I have said previously, the upside for me was that I found this place and all the lovely friends I have made because I was looking for somewhere to voice my displeasure.

Every cloud...

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1