A Saint in the city

Western Stars - The Movie thread

Just returned home from seeing Western Stars for the second time. Tuesday matinee for $5, and in a reclining seat no less!  Only 8 of us in the theatre but all stayed after the credits.  

Highlights this time around (and again) all of it but especially the narration leading up to and Moonlight Motel! 

We love you too Bruce! :D 

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

10 movies currently playing 

and 36 movies 'coming soon' up to the 10th of Jan

and no sign of western stars at the Wanganui pictures :angry:

FFS its playing in Porirua who's multiplex caters to a very young and very specific demographic usually ignorant or immune to the charms of Mr Bruce Springsteen 

• Sad 2

On 11/5/2019 at 10:21 AM, jmw said:

I knew you would like it in the end. :)

Hey...250 is 250.

• Haha 2

no sign of the movie in Wanganui yet

on monday afternoon we have to go to Palmerston north to see a chest dept consultant at the hospital about Gary's auto imune thingy

the forcast is for cloud so he's hoping he will be ok  to drive there and back or we will stay in Palmerston North and drive home in the morning 

its only an hour away but Gary's eyes get real tired driving for too long especially if its really bright like its been the last couple of weeks of really warm summery wheather

don't tell the cats because i have no idea what to do except give Tibby a big lunch and leave lots of cat biscuits in a bowl at the back door 

he's not unused to breakfast being a little bit late if we sleep in

Borris we will have to leave locked in the house which she will hate but she will have indoor facilities and food and water 

but anyway anyway 

the western stars movie is on fucking Thursday 

i could bloody cry

but its more important Gary gets better and the movie might still come to Wanganui 

i just read because of new tax laws coming into effect Dec 1 NZers can only buy from Amazon US because they are the only Anazon branch set up to collect GST tax for our gready government so i won't be able to order it from the UK Amazon  - mind yoy the way the exchange rate is i probably would have waited anyway to buy it in US dollars because UK money is scary 

sorry for the ramble i still have a bit of withdrawl from when the lake was down

On 11/19/2019 at 7:58 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

10 movies currently playing 

and 36 movies 'coming soon' up to the 10th of Jan

and no sign of western stars at the Wanganui pictures :angry:

FFS its playing in Porirua who's multiplex caters to a very young and very specific demographic usually ignorant or immune to the charms of Mr Bruce Springsteen 

It didn't even play near me except for one week about 45 minutes from me. I planned on going second weekend and poof.....Where is the DVD in U.S. Amazon?? :angry:

1 hour ago, homesquid said:

It didn't even play near me except for one week about 45 minutes from me. I planned on going second weekend and poof.....Where is the DVD in U.S. Amazon?? :angry:

i feel your pain Mr Squidly:(

btw nice to see you :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, homesquid said:

It must be right up there with Amazon Germany - nowhere!

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, berlintramp said:

It must be right up there with Amazon Germany - nowhere!

grrrrrrrr

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i feel your pain Mr Squidly:(

btw nice to see you :)

You too! (kicking my own ass as I type...quite a skill at least)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, homesquid said:

You too! (kicking my own ass as I type...quite a skill at least)

i love with you (not at you) :(

its not fare if we don't all get the opertunity to see the movie at the pictures 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 7:16 PM, MadamMarie said:

Highlights this time around (and again) all of it but especially the narration leading up to and Moonlight Motel! 

Really.  That’s the part I thought was so surprisingly personal.  More than I expected him to ever share.  

• Like 1

Tickets purchased for Wednesday night screening at my local Hoyts. I've gone cold turkey on the album and soundtrack for a few weeks now in preparation. Can't wait

• Like 5
  • Bruuuuce! 2

8 minutes ago, Bosstralian said:

Tickets purchased for Wednesday night screening at my local Hoyts. I've gone cold turkey on the album and soundtrack for a few weeks now in preparation. Can't wait

you might have to enjot it for both if us

so a little meak and mild Bruuuuuucing in a high pitched but quiet voice a couple of times wouod be appreated 

Don't worry, Bruce won't hear ;)

Tkts purchased for Sun 8 Dec 3.30pm session at Readings Cinema Belmont, Perth

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 3

10 hours ago, BITUSA said:

Tkts purchased for Sun 8 Dec 3.30pm session at Readings Cinema Belmont, Perth

Have a great time.  Hope you love it! 

Just back from the screening at the Luna in Leederville, Perth.

Lovely.

I think the ladies should rather enjoy the close ups during Stones - those eyes of his.... almost would make me turn. So soulful and soul filled.

Well worth the $21.50 entry.

Only question is do I go again Sunday....

(we get just two screenings here in Oz - Tonight, and Sunday night...)

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 3

5 hours ago, jukebox said:

Lovely.

I think the ladies should rather enjoy the close ups during Stones - those eyes of his.... almost would make me turn. So soulful and soul filled.

yes

go again !

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jukebox said:

Lovely.

Well, I went three times, so you can guess my vote!  

• Like 1

we'll tonight its playing in Palmerston north and with Gary's eyes being how they are it night as well be playing on the moon

if it wasn't a night screening maybe i could have somehow taken a bus 

anyway i just came across this review

maybe ive posted it before ?

i think its via the Telegraph in the UK

https://i.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/116426690/western-stars-bruce-springsteens-first-film-is-above-all-a-love-letter-to-his-wife

Loved it.

I kind of wish I hadn't listened to the soundtrack beforehand so that some of the musical surprises (like the Wayfarer outro) remained, well, surprises. But at the time that was released we didn't even have any indication the movie would reach screens here, so I kind of screwed myself in the spoiler department through impatience.

Having said that, there are moments here where just the majesty of how the sound and visuals combine means the soundtrack alone only delivers part of the picture. Best case in point is Moonlight Motel. I was one for whom the soundtrack version didn't quite reach the studio one, but that is based on the audio recording alone. The complete video and audio combined experience is perfect. Patti and Bruce singing it together is hair raising, especially after Bruce sets the scene with his pre song musings. There is a lengthy shot where Bruce is well lit and in focus, while Patti stands behind him over his left shoulder bathed in a more ghostly less clear light. A magical visual presentation of the second half of the song where the narrator hears his departed lover's voice on goes on his pilgrimage back to the Moonlight Motel. 

I'm not able to get to a second screening on Sunday, but I'll be at JB HiFi the day the blu ray reaches our shores and that sucker is going to get a many viewings workout at extremely high volume 

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 2

Oh, another thing from the soundtrack I wasn't completely sold on was the addition of the backing vocals to those two moments where the strings swell up in Western Stars. But when that happened while watching in the theatre... my God, like a choir of angels lifting my soul into the heavens. 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

I turned down the Wednesday night for this Sunday arvo. Taking a (silently screaming) Mrs G.

When I booked the tickets I chose the seats.

Can’t believe how many sad sack single seat Sams or Sallys are Bruce fans going to the session. Virtually no-one is sitting next to each other.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kent Guitar said:

I turned down the Wednesday night for this Sunday arvo. Taking a (silently screaming) Mrs G.

When I booked the tickets I chose the seats.

Can’t believe how many sad sack single seat Sams or Sallys are Bruce fans going to the session. Virtually no-one is sitting next to each other.

you are indeed very lucky she is going with you :)

Gary did seem 50/50 which is a huge improvement on nornal Bruuuuucing in this house 

but it doesnt look like its comming to me :(

• Sad 1

The Blu-ray's coming out a week from today on Blu-ray at an exorbitant list price of $36.

I was figuring I'd get this when it came out; now I don't even want it if "discounted."

4 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

The Blu-ray's coming out a week from today on Blu-ray at an exorbitant list price of $36.

I was figuring I'd get this when it came out; now I don't even want it if "discounted."

Cant wait for this. I have mine preordered. Dont care about the money.