Greasy Lake Community

Western Stars - The Movie thread

42 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Woo hoo! Gotta leave him sitting in my tree though, as I haven't played a DVD for sooo long (I blame Netflix) that I can't remember how to hook up the TV and the DVD player :D.  Waiting for hubby to get home from work ... 

thumbnail_20191215_153746.jpg

Mine is saying delivery tomorrow.:(

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ironically, we had to drive to the outskirts of Munich for the film, which happens to be the place where my first Bruce show took place in 93. A lot happened to both of us since. The life that happene

I will post this in hopes it finds you well. I will include these two quotes as an introduction to what I have written. The first one is a favorite quote from a movie where a Texas law man has decided

Everyone's comments and expectations have got me even more excited to see the film day after tomorrow, but there's one thing I don't share with most of you and that's the desire for a nearby showing.

Posted Images

On 12/14/2019 at 7:30 AM, berlintramp said:

Amazon Germany still remains ignorant of any Bruce-film called Western Stars, whether on DVD or blue ray. If they don't wake up, I'll have to order from Amazon UK, although the British Isles have finally cut themselves off from Europe and want to blossom in splendid isolation :(

Technically, we (Republic of ireland) are part of the British Isles. We're still in the EU :D

Of course my amazon orders come for the UK, even if they have a massive cloud 30km down the road from me......

Just now, janeymarywendy said:

So if a strange looking bloke dressed in red and smelling of sherry knocks on your door on 25th December, don't turn him away!

..But say: 'You are the Pilgrim In The Temple Of Love and without doubt you have a present for me!' 

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Woo hoo! Gotta leave him sitting in my tree though, as I haven't played a DVD for sooo long (I blame Netflix) that I can't remember how to hook up the TV and the DVD player :D.  Waiting for hubby to get home from work ... 

thumbnail_20191215_153746.jpg

I know the felling :(

Bruce looks good  in the tree btw:lol:

At least you have Netflex in the meantime

My TV is not smart but my blue ray playing is internet savy 

Unfortunately i am not very savy

I got the yellow cables right but i couldn't find some thing called an HDMI cable that looks like a PC cable

Im buggered if i know where it went :angry: but once i got a new one i was good to go finally and its now a pleasure watching Netflex on the big telly - especially the foreign movies because subtitles are hard work on a phone late at night  !

Then it was a pain in the arse getting it to go on the internet - even now everytime i turn it off next time it wants the wifi password

Im sure your hubby will  have no trouble

I found it very awkward plugging the cables in - like i needed a double jointed wrist or something 

Seeing Bruce on anything bigger than a phone screen is worth it !

Enjoy the movie

• Like 2

Ok two viewings now with audio through big headphones. The blu ray is DEFINITELY a different audio mastering to the CD. 

Hello Sunshine: On the CD, Bruce’s voice clearly “breaks” as he sings “no one” on the line “those empty streets no one around”. On the blu ray, it is smoothed out and perfect. 

Stones: Patti’s second individual line (of the three at shared mic) “only the lies you told me” is a little harsh on the CD. Again, no such issue on the blu ray. It’s smoothed out perfectly. 

Moonlight Motel: No obvious differences but Bruce’s voice doesn’t sound quite as ‘old man’ and again, Patti’s vocals are more subtle. 

I’d be interested if others spot more differences. They are all the same takes of each song, but clearly more work has been done on mixing / mastering the blu ray than went in to the audio only release. 

• Sad 1

I like the idea, the horse at his peak, replacing an elderly Bruce. It's a huge contrast, life goes on, and all...

• Love Love Love! 1

Just finished watching the DVD.  Really wonderful to see the show again, but I DID miss the surround-sound of the cinema. I was able to concentrate more though, with no people going up and down the stairs with popcorn and lighting the place up with their phones. Once again, those two little gems, Drive Fast and SNON, are stand-outs.  I thought Western Stars and Moonlight Motel were sung slightly faster than on the studio album.  A bit (tiny bit) annoying, but only because I didn't want them to end.  Strange thing - I thought Patti sounded better on Moonlight Motel on the DVD than she does on the CD of the live recording.

It doesn't look as if he's reading the teleprompter at all, but I guess it was in a 'better' position.  The spoken parts still got to me, as much as my first viewing. They fit the songs so well.

And I still reckon that bloke is not the best sweeper-upper in the world.  Why did he put the two bottles on the floor with the fluff? Why didn't he just put them up on the bar? Is there some sort of secret message there? :o

• Like 3
1 hour ago, janeymarywendy said:

Just finished watching the DVD.  Really wonderful to see the show again, but I DID miss the surround-sound of the cinema. I was able to concentrate more though, with no people going up and down the stairs with popcorn and lighting the place up with their phones. Once again, those two little gems, Drive Fast and SNON, are stand-outs.  I thought Western Stars and Moonlight Motel were sung slightly faster than on the studio album.  A bit (tiny bit) annoying, but only because I didn't want them to end.  Strange thing - I thought Patti sounded better on Moonlight Motel on the DVD than she does on the CD of the live recording.

It doesn't look as if he's reading the teleprompter at all, but I guess it was in a 'better' position.  The spoken parts still got to me, as much as my first viewing. They fit the songs so well.

And I still reckon that bloke is not the best sweeper-upper in the world.  Why did he put the two bottles on the floor with the fluff? Why didn't he just put them up on the bar? Is there some sort of secret message there? :o

It made me cry the first time, it made me cry this time, I love the looks between, Bruce and Patti. I will have to work out how to fill the TV screw. Love the hands. I wish the neighbours weren't home and I could have had the sound louder.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, jmw said:

I have a cupboard by my door parcels often get left in there out of sight. How is the weather, Carol said today was supposed to be bad?

It's pretty bad driving today. But it's beautiful. Kids in the backyard sledding. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, jmw said:

Carol sent me photos.

...well ?

Or maybe @Jimmy James will post a picture

We are having summer thunderstorms and heavy rain

Very December like

My new black boy peach had 3 peaches and one got blown off in the night :angry:

• Like 1