Greasy Lake Community

Western Stars - The Movie thread

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ironically, we had to drive to the outskirts of Munich for the film, which happens to be the place where my first Bruce show took place in 93. A lot happened to both of us since. The life that happene

I will post this in hopes it finds you well. I will include these two quotes as an introduction to what I have written. The first one is a favorite quote from a movie where a Texas law man has decided

Everyone's comments and expectations have got me even more excited to see the film day after tomorrow, but there's one thing I don't share with most of you and that's the desire for a nearby showing.

Posted Images

Didnt watch it at the picture house, I wanted my own time and space to digest it.

Its an outstanding piece of work, beautifully scored, narrated and filmed.  A real sense of been let inside ( if only for 75 minutes or so) to his mind, his heart, and his life.  His output this decade has been nothing short of magnificent, Western Stars ends it with him sounding as vital and relevant as ever.

Being great is one thing, maintaining it and altogether more difficult thing to achieve. This is true greatness at work here, my how privileged we all are to live in his times.

10/10

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I bought the film on blu ray last week and my initial concern was that I am going to wear it out through too many plays. I just love it. My fears have been allayed this Christmas. I got another copy as a present. Which will stay in its cellophane wrapper ready for when the first one won’t play any more. 

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 4
  • Bruuuuce! 1
2 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I bought the film on blu ray last week and my initial concern was that I am going to wear it out through too many plays. I just love it. My fears have been allayed this Christmas. I got another copy as a present. Which will stay in its cellophane wrapper ready for when the first one won’t play any more. 

i wore out my dvd player playing LINYC 

the week i got Hyde park the little mechanism that opens and closes where the disk goes in completly gave up the ghost

there were about a hundred tiny litrle screws to dismantle a dvd player to rescue my new disk !

Well I'm currently watching the Xmas present Blu-ray having missed it at the cinema. And permanently on the edge of tears.

This is our hero, at 70, probably unwell, probably with one last album and tour left in him, putting his heart and soul into something ethereal and beautuful which clearly means a huge amount to him.

When it's all done, this will be as unmissable as Hammersmith 75, LINYC, Hyde Park.

It's Bruce, open, stripped down and brutally honest.

Although Rhinestone Cowboy will forever be owned by Glen Campbell. Sorry.

• Like 6
12 hours ago, Promise61 said:

The spoken intro to Chasin' Wild Horses is different to the version on the soundtrack album.

Correct, as is the sound. I mentioned it earlier but compare Hello Sunshine. Listen to Bruce’s voice on “those empty streets no one around”. Bruce’s voice “breaks” on the CD as he sings “no one” but it is polished up perfectly on the film with no voice break. 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Correct, as is the sound. I mentioned it earlier but compare Hello Sunshine. Listen to Bruce’s voice on “those empty streets no one around”. Bruce’s voice “breaks” on the CD as he sings “no one” but it is polished up perfectly on the film with no voice break. 

Could be taken from a different performance (?)

22 hours ago, Johnstown Company said:

Just watched this at my parents who are in their 80s and they really enjoyed it despite not really being Bruce fans.They usually fall asleep watching everything but kept awake for this. My Mum even asked me to pause it when she left the room! Wild Horses was their favourite.

That's wounderful 

Maybe they would enjoy the soundtrack ?

You could gift it to them

Am I the only one who thinks the Blu Ray is rather expensive? It is $35 on Amazon US. Most Blu Rays are around 15 to 20 Dollars, not so? Maybe I'm missing something but it just seems exceedingly more pricey.

I know our shitty banana republic economy is not Amazon's fault but with he exchange rate and import duties it makes the movie close to a thousand bucks... Yeesh.

• Sad 2

The DVD came today!!!! I watched it right away and the film is still great. And surprisingly, there were parts about the narration I didn't remember. I'll watch it quite a few times, I'm sure.

Very reassuring to have the chance to go back to it again and again.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 3

Just watched it for the firsrt time.....been distracted the last few months!!!!  I welled up a bit at times particularly around Western Stars. The songs were incredible live. A couple of surprises ...Stones with Patti was marvellous..... I  wish she would do more solo stuff, There Goes My Miracle was a high light live and Rhinestone Cowboy gave me a live show feel.  The interludes were touching at times.... could have done with more, I loved the backgrounds to the songs...added more depth to sngs I already loved.

I must say the band looked a bit cramped though... I was concerned that the violinists were going poke each other in the eyes at one point.....and i would sack that celaner at the end- he was sweeping the dirt away and then back??? then he left it in the middle of the floor!!! Shocking!:D

• Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 1
On 12/26/2019 at 8:44 PM, thomam said:

This is our hero, at 70, probably unwell, probably with one last album and tour left in him, putting his heart and soul into something ethereal and beautuful which clearly means a huge amount to him.

....unwwell? What on earth gives you that impression?