A Saint in the city

Western Stars - The Movie thread

2 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Review please!!!

Well... not much to say that others haven’t said! And... on the flip side, don’t want to say something that might not yet be known to those who haven’t yet seen it.  

The barn setting for the ‘concert’ was fantastic.  It’s absolutely gorgeous.   That orchestra... OMG is all I can say.  Really... just... OMG!!!  Mr RJM kept saying the same thing.  

The intros to each song, the old home movie footage/photos along with breathtaking footage of the west were brilliant.  

All the songs sounded fantastic, with Western Stars remaining my personal favorite.  

We got into a conversation with an older gentleman after the film.  As we were exiting he asked Mr RJM a question, who pointed at me and said, ‘she’s the expert...’  

Of course one thing led to another and we stood chatting for at least 15 minutes.  :lol:

His 49 year old son is a Bruce fan and was supposed to meet him at the theatre, but was unable to go; so he went on his own.  He wasn’t too familiar with the album, but said he was blown away by how beautiful it was.  He also said he met up with Bruce accidentally one weekend in Montana in the 80s, and that Bruce was the nicest, most down to earth person you could imagine.  

Anyway... Glen Campbell song was FANTABULOUS!!!!  The footage after the film was great.  

A few friends couldn’t go last night... funny how they knew I’d be happy to see it again! 

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

just looking at vue cinema The Joker is £5.74. also note western stars is classed as an event only 50 seats in recliners and none sold, but nobody has answered the why so expensive?. why would i pay  nearly £43 for me and mrs to watch this. also general release is a bit rich its only on one night

Joker is a superior film

Saw WS with the extra footage last night in USA and, although in different theater than Joker, cost $15, 1 less than Joker.

Hearing that Bruce showed up in Freehold for the screening of Western Stars should have burned my heart at having moved so far away from the Promised Land. But it really didn't. I just feel lucky to have seen it at a great movie theatre, with the extra footage, and with my Chapel Hill brethren. Not one person got up after the movie--everyone there was primed to see every moment they could. They didn't "Bruce!" and there was little applause until the end, as Bruce had requested. It wasn't sold out, but the people who were there were there for church. I kinda loved every person there.

My husband later said it was too loud, but I thought it was perfect to be surrounded, embraced by the glorious music. It was almost like being in the barn itself, where the concert was held. The sense of intimacy and yet also being in a grand environment was strong. I am not going to offer any spoilers, in part because my memory is that of an old person's. (I would love to write this while watching it again, but I did myself the favor of just being there, not taking notes, this first time.)

It helps that I loved this album from the beginning, even as I recognized it was like no other he had done. I really wish even harder than I did before seeing the movie that he had done one live performance for the fans in a small music hall with great acoustics--but hey, he already did that, in some fashion. I am so grateful he made this movie for us. 

Putting on my critic's hat, I will say that it was obvious to me he was reading the words he wrote during the talking parts, as opposed to speaking off the cuff. Over time, he learned his lines for Springsteen on Broadway well enough to sound natural, but there were times when it was less than natural in the movie. Not forced or painfully uncomfortable, just noticing the non-holistic because the movie is so cohesive. However, the embodiment of the songs is something he has honed over the decades, and some of the performances were stunning precisely because he became the character in so many of the songs. That was art, and it was breathtaking. Western Stars and Drive Fast were particularly intense.

It was always impressive how Bruce related to us, reached out to us, gave us so much--I appreciated it so much as a fan. But now he's showing us so much more of who he is, with the book, the Broadway play and now this movie. A holy trinity, and one that filled me with grace last night. 

P.S. Sundown. OMG

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 3
  • Bruuuuce! 3

2 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

as it happens i couldnt if i wanted to, am in windsor on 28th, where i can not find any showings, then of to memphis/nashville of which i havent a clue if its showing or not

It seems to be showing in Maidenhead and Staines, both of which are only a few miles from Windsor.  Staines is a 15 minute train ride away.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

as it happens i couldnt if i wanted to, am in windsor on 28th, where i can not find any showings, then of to memphis/nashville of which i havent a clue if its showing or not

wouldn't it just be poetic if on your big US tour you just happen to amble past a theatre and its about to start and you get a ticket :)

have a wounderful time and please post pix 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Well... not much to say that others haven’t said! And... on the flip side, don’t want to say something that might not yet be known to those who haven’t yet seen it.  

The barn setting for the ‘concert’ was fantastic.  It’s absolutely gorgeous.   That orchestra... OMG is all I can say.  Really... just... OMG!!!  Mr RJM kept saying the same thing.  

The intros to each song, the old home movie footage/photos along with breathtaking footage of the west were brilliant.  

All the songs sounded fantastic, with Western Stars remaining my personal favorite.  

We got into a conversation with an older gentleman after the film.  As we were exiting he asked Mr RJM a question, who pointed at me and said, ‘she’s the expert...’  

Of course one thing led to another and we stood chatting for at least 15 minutes.  :lol:

His 49 year old son is a Bruce fan and was supposed to meet him at the theatre, but was unable to go; so he went on his own.  He wasn’t too familiar with the album, but said he was blown away by how beautiful it was.  He also said he met up with Bruce accidentally one weekend in Montana in the 80s, and that Bruce was the nicest, most down to earth person you could imagine.  

Anyway... Glen Campbell song was FANTABULOUS!!!!  The footage after the film was great.  

A few friends couldn’t go last night... funny how they knew I’d be happy to see it again! 

that is so lovelly the older gentleman still went and enjoyed it 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

ill come back to this in six months time when i finally see the film and everyone else is onto the next thing 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

It shows as general release in the USA on oct 25th might only show for one week

when are you in Tennessee ... when next weeks sch3dules come out I will pm you

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, AMIW said:

don't forget to remind him to clap at the end and JF's  recomendadtion of milk duds in the popcorn

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

ill come back to this in six months time when i finally see the film and everyone else is onto the next thing 

Maybe we should Periscope the film to you - just like the last few live ESB tours.:D

Will save all that wasted 6 months!

• Bruuuuce! 1

In the meantime  - I'm struggling to find a cinema that is showing this. Yes I know York is an option, so is Southport. DO we all need to go to watch Bruce on a Monday night?? I'm sure even Landau and the Bruce corp would not book a Monday night stadium  gig  in the UK on a Monday! So why a Cinema? And before you ask - I know its a film!

I'm hoping we get some extras for the following week.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Skin2Skin said:

It was always impressive how Bruce related to us, reached out to us, gave us so much--I appreciated it so much as a fan. But now he's showing us so much more of who he is, with the book, the Broadway play and now this movie. A holy trinity, and one that filled me with grace last night. 

This.  Exactly this.  It’s so personal what he is sharing with us.  

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

Meanwhile I am annoyed - and so will @Walker in the sun be - to see that Western Stars has finally been listed by one of the Odeons in Oxford.  Too late because after checking every day for ages we gave up and booked to see it in Reading :(  and Mr & Mrs W are going to Swindon :(

Still I mustn't grumble too much as at least we are getting to see it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Meanwhile I am annoyed - and so will @Walker in the sun be - to see that Western Stars has finally been listed by one of the Odeons in Oxford.  Too late because after checking every day for ages we gave up and booked to see it in Reading :(  and Mr & Mrs W are going to Swindon :(

It's like when another concert is announced after all the other dates have been announced and seem finalised. Little tinkers!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

It's like when another concert is announced after all the other dates have been announced and seem finalised. Little tinkers!

At least those present another opportunity to see Bruce!  This doesn't, as all showings are at the same time.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Rizla said:

Oh bugger!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Rizla said:

Did you book at Odeon in Reading? It might be worth asking for a refund/exchange. We had booked for Odeon in Brighton as we thought we would be visiting friends. However, when this fell through we phoned Odeon customer services who were happy to refund and allow us to buy tickets for Birmingham.

3 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

Did you book at Odeon in Reading? It might be worth asking for a refund/exchange. We had booked for Odeon in Brighton as we thought we would be visiting friends. However, when this fell through we phoned Odeon customer services who were happy to refund and allow us to buy tickets for Birmingham.

No, there's no Odeon in Reading.  There are two in Oxford, which is why it seemed odd that one of them didn't advertise it from the start.
It doesn't matter that much now, except that it would have been nice for us all to meet up.

I shared this on a couple of Bruce Facebook groups yesterday.  Fits this thread nicely, I think.  So with apologies to anyone who may have tripped over it already:

Some spoiler-free thoughts on Western Stars, about 24 hours after I walked out of the theater:

Wow. My expectations were fairly high based on the buzz. But the film exceeded them.

Let's start with the music. I said when the album came out that it was a crime that Bruce wasn't going to tour behind it, and I am even more crushed now that I will never be able to see it truly live. Playing a few songs on the next tour with the band will be great; playing all or most of them with an orchestra? It would have been amazing. We are lucky that this film is the next best thing -- the sound is stellar, the orchestra is phenomenal, and Patti adds an excellent new element. The overall sonic experience feels much like I imagine it felt for those lucky enough to be sitting in Bruce's barn when this was filmed.

Now for the interludes. It shouldn't be a surprise that they are heartfelt and add a new element to our understanding of each song. After all, that's what both Bruce's autobiography and Broadway did, at a macro level. Here, Bruce lets you in on what was going on inside his head with respect to each song as the album came together. It. Is. Awesome. But Bruce shares a lot more than just the basic idea underlying each track; his introspection results in his sharing much of the wisdom he has gained over the last 70 years. I feel like I need to go again with a notebook so I can capture his exact words, but likely will instead sit back and soak it in again, saving my note-taking until the Blu Ray is available.

Speaking of the Blu Ray, don't wait for it! I am sure I will enjoy seeing it at home. I am sure you will too. But the sound and the scope, particularly of the scenes shot out West, won't be the same at home. (Just like Broadway isn't the same on Netflix as it was in the theater.) So if you are anywhere near where it's being shown, find a way to go. You won't be sorry.

It's great fun to see Bruce play with folks who are, for the most part, new to him. You can tell he enjoys it, and the looks on the faces of a number of the musicians when they suddenly fully realize that they are backing Bruce Springsteen is the kind of joy that is a wonder to behold.

This all said, thank all that is holy that Bruce has publicly and repeatedly said that he intends to tour again. Because absent that assurance, this sure would have felt like a capstone to his career -- although what a capstone it would be.

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

19 hours ago, AMIW said:

memphis from tuesday, nashville from following sunday thanks and one night tupelo in middle

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

wouldn't it just be poetic if on your big US tour you just happen to amble past a theatre and its about to start and you get a ticket :)

have a wounderful time and please post pix 

thanks im sure we will and i will try with pics

• Like 1

On 10/20/2019 at 3:59 PM, Rizla said:

It seems to be showing in Maidenhead and Staines, both of which are only a few miles from Windsor.  Staines is a 15 minute train ride away.

thanks will have a look but have to be at heathrow at 530am on tuesday but will check if near hotel

• Like 3