A Saint in the city

Western Stars - The Movie thread

1 hour ago, thecommish said:

Paolo,  I think you will be making a mistake by not seeing the film IF the interludes are not on the album.  To me, it is the interludes that set the scene for the great performances that follow in the movie.  I fell in love with this album even more after hearing the true meanings of what each song means to Bruce and what questions it creates for our own existence.  This movie makes us take a deeper look at our life and our dealings with struggles in life.  The line about baggage in the movie is spot on about the longer we live, the more unsorted baggage we carry is so true of someone dealing with depression.  If you haven't been there, you don't understand the feeling of hopelessness that one has.  What we see on stage is an act.  it is a facade of what really goes on deep inside the mind of someone that battles everyday with that feeling of wanting to "see that sunshine".  To truly understand "Bruce" and just how amazing his music is, you have to see the movie.  Every song he writes is a tale of the meaning of being human.  I don't want to give the movie away to those who haven't seen it but the movie did "speak to me".  It made me question my existence in life and why I choose to do what I do.  I perform on stage as well and not for an audience that is there to see me, but is forced to be there.  Being a teacher, I have to put my struggles and problems aside and put on a show night after night.  Performing for Bruce is his medicine.  His opportunity for three hours, to allow his fans and himself, a chance to get away from the struggles of everyday life and just bask in the glow of his music.  That is why music is so special.........It speaks to us in its own unique way.  It's not "one size fits all".

Is this the hard rocking E Street Band, NOPE.  But for the message it sends, the strings bring the powerful message and the violin solo in "Stones" is as powerful for that song as the saxophone solo is in "Jungleland".  This is why he is one of the best at what he does.

Very nice post, and I appreciate what you're saying. I just really don't fancy seeing it.

There'll probably be a dvd release or something soon enough that I'll watch though. 

Boy I didn't know this until i just heard on ESR. That the movie is out starting Friday to general cinema's. I had thought the whole time that these two Fathom Events showing were the only two showings. Lucky me. 

Was this general knowledge and I just missed it along the way? Or is this something pretty new?  

• Like 3

what i find very frustrating about this movie is why go on a chat show to publicise it and it appears to be only showing on  the one night in the uk yet in memphis i see thanks to AMIW I might add it seems to be showing for at least a week with  5 showings a day! and its only $9 or $12 dollars!!

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Boy I didn't know this until i just heard on ESR. That the movie is out starting Friday to general cinema's. I had thought the whole time that these two Fathom Events showing were the only two showings. Lucky me. 

Was this general knowledge and I just missed it along the way? Or is this something pretty new?  

Not new, has been said; but super easy to have missed it!! 

Can’t wait to see it again! 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, stevie54uk said:

what i find very frustrating about this movie is why go on a chat show to publicise it and it appears to be only showing on  the one night in the uk yet in memphis i see thanks to AMIW I might add it seems to be showing for at least a week with  5 showings a day! and its only $9 or $12 dollars!!

It seems to be cropping up in a few more cinemas and on a few other dates. I assume the film distribution company are responsible for this, but the publicity he has done may be a factor.

We ended up with £9 tickets, which isn't bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rosiejaneymary said:

Not new, has been said; but super easy to have missed it!! 

Can’t wait to see it again! 

OK, so maybe not all bad on my part. 

RJM or others who have seen it, can a truly non fan go see this and be happy? After reading both Buddhabone and The Commish has said, sounds like you would really need to be a fan. Please answer honestly, as I'm trying to talk wife in to going.  

1 hour ago, whispered secret said:

It seems to be cropping up in a few more cinemas and on a few other dates. I assume the film distribution company are responsible for this, but the publicity he has done may be a factor.

We ended up with £9 tickets, which isn't bad.

That is a very good price, hopefully you are seeing it closer to home.

@Jimmy James, just tell her it doesn't matter what's on the screen when you love the person sitting next to you...and maybe mention a few "chick flicks' you've seen with her.;)

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jmw said:

I'm planning on going to a Saturday or Sunday matinee should only be $5.00 at the theater we go to. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Just tell her it doesn't matter what's on the screen when you love the person sitting next to you...and maybe mention a few "chick flicks' you've seen with her.;)

Wife doesn't do "chick flick"! So I don't have that angle. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Wife doesn't do "chick flick"! So I don't have that angle. 

Well, one ticket is cheaper than two.

23 hours ago, Buddhabone said:

I have never seen an artist bare his soul in a work so well.

These of all your beautiful and painful  words I feel like sharing with you because you in the same way have managed to bare your soul before us.

So many of your words resonate with my life and, even the experiences that don't, they still share the same feeling of emptiness that I still feel at times.

This is what brotherhood is about.

• Love Love Love! 1

29 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I'm planning on going to a Saturday or Sunday matinee should only be $5.00 at the theater we go to. 

I am going Monday evening, £15.50, not sure what that is in dollars, maybe 12-13.

Totally wrong, almost 20 dollars.

7 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Newark UK this time ;)

and some people said that Daisey would never learn :D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

anyone that learns from me is in trouble :)

• Haha 1

I am going to see it at 11am tomorrow, and then again on Monday.

Cannot wait...soundtrack record is great too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jmw said:

A couple of minutes walk from my front door! The price is cheaper (by £2) because we are members.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

RJM or others who have seen it, can a truly non fan go see this and be happy? After reading both Buddhabone and The Commish has said, sounds like you would really need to be a fan. Please answer honestly, as I'm trying to talk wife in to going.  

Does she like any of the songs? Or like Bruce just a little bit? It sounds to me as if it is a film which could appeal to a person who is not a massive fan but who is interested in the art of songwriting and the human spirit.

I haven't seen it yet, so that could be total bollocks! Anyway, I hope you get to see it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Very nice post, and I appreciate what you're saying. I just really don't fancy seeing it.

There'll probably be a dvd release or something soon enough that I'll watch though. 

Dude, you must go. If you need some cash let me know.

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

I'm not a big fan of the album but it's always nice seeing Bruce perform so I think you'll be glad you went just for that reason.  I'm glad I went even if seeing it didn't change my opinion of the album.  I also have a few criticisms but I won't go into any of those being that most people won't agree with me and I may get some people mad.

PS...Bruce looked really good.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Buddhabone said:

Dude, you must go. If you need some cash let me know.

I genuinely don't know what to say to such a genuinely outright nice offer. 

The reason I can't see the film is because I'm absolutely swamped at the minute with all sorts going on, and while I won't be watching it in cinemas you can be sure when it's available on DVD I'll be watching it asap. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

Does she like any of the songs? Or like Bruce just a little bit? It sounds to me as if it is a film which could appeal to a person who is not a massive fan but who is interested in the art of songwriting and the human spirit.

I haven't seen it yet, so that could be total bollocks! Anyway, I hope you get to see it.

Well she goes to concerts with me. I think because I go to see The Eagles, CDB, and Elton John when she wants to go. But at lunch today ( a standing Thursday afternoon lunch we have had for about 32 years, sure there has been a couple miss's here and there) she told me, "she wants no part of my hero worshiping" LOL. 

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

A couple of minutes walk from my front door! The price is cheaper (by £2) because we are members.

I will have to miss my first chance, Monday is a really an odd day and can't make it to England this time. I'll have to wait the italian release on the 2nd and 3rd of December, it'll be terrible having to wait all those weeks. On the plus side I'll manage to attend on both the days...

• Like 2

On 10/23/2019 at 12:43 PM, Rumble said:

Credits won’t provide warmth. Huge disconnect between Bruce and Patti sitting at the bar during the credits.
He’s sitting there still like a cool rocking daddy and she’s uncomfortably squirming like a fish flopping around on a dock desperate to get back in the water

I wanted to wait until I saw the film to tell you that this particular post is full of shit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I wanted to wait until I saw the film to tell you that this particular post is full of shit.

You watched it now?