A Saint in the city

Western Stars - The Movie thread

Last night. No fish flopping on Patti's part. Just her and Bruce sitting at the bar talking.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

OK, so maybe not all bad on my part. 

RJM or others who have seen it, can a truly non fan go see this and be happy? After reading both Buddhabone and The Commish has said, sounds like you would really need to be a fan. Please answer honestly, as I'm trying to talk wife in to going.  

I’m not sure.  

I thought you mentioned she liked some of the album?  If that’s the case, she may enjoy it.   

OTOH... if she really dislikes him in general, I’m not sure that simply liking the album is enough.

I mean as a long time fan, I absolutely loved hearing how this album came to be, his song intros, as well as more of his reflections on life.  

But if she dislikes him, I don’t know if she’ll care! 

I will say that in general, the cinematography was beyond beautiful.  ‘Majestic’ comes to mind.   The orchestration was simply outstanding.  

What kind of music does she like? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AMIW said:

and some people said that Daisey would never learn :D

hee hee 

actually i did do it again 

i was thinking awsome !

Cool ! Newark (NJ) !

then i remembered :D

oh no hang on 

lovelly Newark UK 

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

OK, so maybe not all bad on my part. 

RJM or others who have seen it, can a truly non fan go see this and be happy? After reading both Buddhabone and The Commish has said, sounds like you would really need to be a fan. Please answer honestly, as I'm trying to talk wife in to going.  

i don't think your lovelly wife dislikes Bruce like my Gary does

and Gary has picked up heaps of songs and lyrics and facts and trivia over the years trying really hard not too

i bet your wife actualkt knows a lot more about Bruce than you realize

where was the review about the fan who took his dad but couldn't make it at the last moment so the dad went alone and loved it (im so sorry i don't remember who said that)

• Like 1

The live album is up (on iTunes in Australia, at least) so that’s my morning listening sorted. :D

• Bruuuuce! 1

55 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Well she goes to concerts with me. I think because I go to see The Eagles, CDB, and Elton John when she wants to go. But at lunch today ( a standing Thursday afternoon lunch we have had for about 32 years, sure there has been a couple miss's here and there) she told me, "she wants no part of my hero worshiping" LOL. 

oh no ....this is the slippery sloop i am at the bottom of

you must have done something to upset her that pushed her to lash out at Bruce 

that's so sweet about the lunch dates

maybe just back right off Bruce for a few days and try again latter :(

35 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Last night. No fish flopping on Patti's part. Just her and Bruce sitting at the bar talking.

i have missed something somewhere :lol:

what happened last night ?

2 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

maybe just back right off Bruce for a few days and try again latter

Image result for watch your mouth meme

• Haha 2

Just now, Jimmy James said:

Image result for watch your mouth meme

:lol:

when you do get her to go please shear the secret of how to, with me 

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Well she goes to concerts with me. I think because I go to see The Eagles, CDB, and Elton John when she wants to go. But at lunch today ( a standing Thursday afternoon lunch we have had for about 32 years, sure there has been a couple miss's here and there) she told me, "she wants no part of my hero worshiping" LOL. 

Hah! It sounds like you're on your own for this movie!

• Bruuuuce! 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I wanted to wait until I saw the film to tell you that this particular post is full of shit.

Your mind was made up before you saw the film.  Why wait?  Moreover, your use of "particular" is redundant.  

My mind was made up about a brief end-credits scene before I saw the film?

I'll tell you that you're presumptuous and wrong and I'll argue that your mind was made up about Patti before you saw the film.

If you can find another person on here who's seen the film and agrees with your stupid, adolescent description of Patti in that end-credits scene, I'll reconsider my opinion that you're the most boorish person to join this forum in years.

4 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Wife doesn't do "chick flick"! So I don't have that angle. 

think man ! think !

i would kill to have Gary go to just one Bruce thing with me

he wouldn't even shear my lovelly Auckland hotel room- me paying for everything 

2 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I genuinely don't know what to say to such a genuinely outright nice offer. 

The reason I can't see the film is because I'm absolutely swamped at the minute with all sorts going on, and while I won't be watching it in cinemas you can be sure when it's available on DVD I'll be watching it asap. 

Although it's hard for me to see how fans of Bruce's music couldn't like Western Stars, I have to remember I felt exactly the same way about On Broadway when everybody was raving about it. Just didn't move me at all.  One viewing on Netflix was more than enough. I think Western Stars is a great album though, and I'm looking forward to seeing the film. Stevie covering Tuscon Train may hint that it'll feature in any future E-Street shows maybe? It has to!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I disliked it as well, but something's just clicked in the last 24 hours. 

Maybe there's hope for "Hello Sunshine" yet... 

See, I love Hello Sunshine, but Miracle and what's the other one oh , yeah Sundown are just not my musical cup of tea.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

My mind was made up about a brief end-credits scene before I saw the film?

I'll tell you that you're presumptuous and wrong and I'll argue that your mind was made up about Patti before you saw the film.

If you can find another person on here who's seen the film and agrees with your stupid, adolescent description of Patti in that end-credits scene, I'll reconsider my opinion that you're the most boorish person to join this forum in years.

Nice temper tantrum.  Talk about adolescent. 

"mind was made up about Patti" - I was the one in the front of the pit on the barrier at Dodger Stadium and threw my Boss Time baseball hat to Patti, that she put on, during the encores.  Talk about presumptuous. 

I don't care about your opinion or you reconsidering it when you spew it with such vitriol. 

You're obviously too emotional, or too stoned, to objectively view and/or discuss the credits. 

• Haha 1

You don't know from vitriol, fish flop boy.

7 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

You don't know from vitriol, fish flop boy.

Continuing with the adolescent, insolent brat routine.

Still no response about your redundant use of "particular."  

Do you have a good editor?  An editor?  

• Haha 1

I loved the album when I heard it on the night of June 14, half awake with a splitting headache. Still in dress clothes from my graduation ceremony a few hours prior.

I love the album even more performed live, hearing it 6 months later.

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

23 minutes ago, Rumble said:

Continuing with the adolescent, insolent brat routine.

Still no response about your redundant use of "particular."  

Do you have a good editor?  An editor?  

It's really wounded you that I said your post was full of shit. You're extremely thin-skinned for someone so eager and outrageous with your criticisms. I can only surmise that, judging just by the reactions, to your original post about the fish flopping, nervous Patti, that it's generally accepted as being full of shit.

On 10/23/2019 at 12:43 PM, Rumble said:

Credits won’t provide warmth. Huge disconnect between Bruce and Patti sitting at the bar during the credits.
He’s sitting there still like a cool rocking daddy and she’s uncomfortably squirming like a fish flopping around on a dock desperate to get back in the water

In fact, Mister Grammar, I present your original post, not only to be examined for its fullness of shit, but for its very poor construction, lack of complete sentences and punctuation, jumbo font size and easily-avoided highlighted text.

More laughable than your flopping fish opinion is the idea that there's a disconnect between Patti and Bruce after you actually sat there and watched their interactions in the film.

C'mon, you can tell us, which of the two do you have the bigger crush on?

4 hours ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

I also have a few criticisms but I won't go into any of those being that most people won't agree with me and I may get some people mad.

Makes me a bit sad to read this BD.  You're a genuinely nice person so I understand not wanting to upset people but we're adults, don't you think we are, most of us rather, past this stuff?  Why wouldn't your views/criticisms be valid like everyone else's?  So the album and the film haven't blown you away like others, you have that right to express it, if people get mad they have far bigger issues than you not being moved to heaven and earth and everywhere in between.

I'd love to read your quibbles with it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

It's really wounded you that I said your post was full of shit. You're extremely thin-skinned for someone so eager and outrageous with your criticisms. I can only surmise that, judging just by the reactions, to your original post about the fish flopping, nervous Patti, that it's generally accepted as being full of shit.

Now you're a shrink too? 

The scene speaks for itself. 

There's a disconnect in the scene; she's squirming, moving around, leaning, and he's still.  If she's not squirming, moving around, leaning, point it out. You can't, because she is.  It is called the truth, not "being full of sh*t" or being thin-skinned.  Do you ever deal with facts?  Or just hate speech?

"Outrageous" you claim.  Now who is wounded.  

You presume I'm anti-Patti and I call you on your bs with a fact that contradicts your presumptuousness.  You don't address that. Doesn't fit your narrative, does it.

Still haven't addressed the "particular" redundancy in your earlier post.  Is the great writer too thin-skinned to address that fact?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

In fact, Mister Grammar, I present your original post, not only to be examined for its fullness of shit, but for its very poor construction, lack of complete sentences and punctuation, jumbo font size and easily-avoided highlighted text.

More laughable than your flopping fish opinion is the idea that there's a disconnect between Patti and Bruce after you actually sat there and watched their interactions in the film.

C'mon, you can tell us, which of the two do you have the bigger crush on?

It is called making a post on a cell phone.