Greasy Lake Community

Bruce With Elvis Costello

Seen Elvis a handful of times. The first was back around 1984 when he played a solo acoustic show at Harrogate Royal Hall. I was just mesmerised.

A bonus was in 2012. I was in Birmingham for work and asked to stay an extra day. It just so happened he was playing the Symphony Hall that night and there were still a few tickets available. 

On 10/19/2019 at 8:38 AM, Declansk said:

I’m actually going to see Elvis Costello (who’s real name also happens to be Declan) this Thursday in Hershey. Has anyone here seen him live before?

Many times, but not since the album Spike. :) My favorite tour was Punch the Clock, but I also loved the song spinning wheel.

• Like 2

The Spinning Wheel tour was great! Saw one of those at the Beacon in NYC in 2011. The original debut of the spinning wheel, during the 1986 tour, was pretty cool too. I was there for one of those shows at the Broadway Theatre, actually it was the Mets/RedSox " World Series - "Bill Bucker play" night, so going to the bar in NYC after the Broadway Theatre show and seeing that unfold on TV was pretty cool. 

Always liked that Elvis would change it up, use different lineups. Though, much like E-Street, I prefer my EC with at least some of the original Attractions, thankfully Pete Thomas and Steve Nieve are still there, the backbones of the band. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

Really enjoyed the spinning wheel tour. We definitely saw more than one of these,  but they were a looong time ago!

He did three of them at the Tower Theater in the 80's--I went to them all, because my luck is that he'd play a song I most wanted on the one night I wasn't there.

He had dancing girls in cages, too. Audience members could participate, if memory serves. I guess that wouldn't be PC nowadays, but it was so tongue in cheek and in keeping with Elvis' persona that I didn't find it remotely offensive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StolenCar66 said:

The Spectacle series in general that Costello did was tremendous, Elvis is on par or a better story teller than Bruce, and you cant help but love the English wit. 

I wouldn't have ever though he was a better storyteller than Bruce, in which way do you mean?   

On 10/23/2019 at 2:01 PM, Skin2Skin said:

Many times, but not since the album Spike. :) My favorite tour was Punch the Clock, but I also loved the song spinning wheel.

The show was great! All of the band sounded good. He talked quite a bit too and told some funny stories. He had two backup singers in addition to the imposters. My favorite song of the night was What’s so funny about peace love and understanding and Pump It Up. 

• Like 2

On 10/23/2019 at 3:15 AM, whispered secret said:

This Year's Model

I agree. His first 3 albums are essential but this is the best one. I also listened to Imperial Bedroom for the first time the other day. It’s brilliant! I can’t recommend this one enough.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Declansk said:

The show was great! All of the band sounded good. He talked quite a bit too and told some funny stories. He had two backup singers in addition to the imposters. My favorite song of the night was What’s so funny about peace love and understanding and Pump It Up. 

They would almost certainly have been my favourites too! I adore Pump it Up live. Pleased to hear you enjoyed it. 

• Like 1