Greasy Lake Community

Little Steven and the DOS new box set

Bruce, Southside and ESB spread across this collection.  Great to see a retrospective finally available.

Especially the masterpiece, Men Without Women.

https://shop.udiscovermusic.com/collections/little-steven-and-the-disciples-of-soul/products/rock-n-roll-rebel-the-early-work-box-set

Listened to the first two albums courtesy of a fellow Laker. :)

MWW sounds even better for a remaster. Timeless, stone cold classic. That opening triple shot of Lying In A Bed Of Fire / Inside Of Me / Until The Good Is Gone is as good as anyone's opening salvo. Ever.

VOA sounds a little dated with Steven having swapped horns for synths and drum machines, but the songs are great. Actually forgotten how brill Checkpoint Charlie is.

Undefeated. Everybody goes home.

• Like 2

VOA did sound a bit dated but the quality of some of those songs hills up. Among The Believers is probably my favorite Steve song, even after I long ago realized he was saying "out in the desert where the Gypsy pirates ride" and not "I've been to Jersey..."

Undefeated, Justice, Out Of The Darkness, Los Deceparacidos and I Am A Patriot are classics.

Hearing Steve as the lead vocalists on the Asbury Jukes rehearsals is pretty cool. A look ahead to Soulfire. 

These are some pretty rough recordings. Most of them are mono and some of the Jukes classics are definitely works in progress on this release.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 8:52 PM, Growin' Up said:

So it's $199 dollars with Born Again Savage and $250 without?

On 10/19/2019 at 9:15 PM, Jerseyfornia said:

Where do you see that?

On a Reno alternate take lyrics sheet, I guess... ;)

• Haha 2

Loving the rarities disc.

Hearing SSJ and Steven ('The Kid') back in those early days is brilliant.  Great to hear that unreleased stuff even if it is a little lo fi.  And a reminder, if needed, that South is an amazing harmonica player.

God bless the internet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Digital deluxe edition of Freedom - No Compromise out tomorrow. Only a few bonus tracks on this one, but I'll get it for the remastered album.

I need to do some research and find out if all of the bonus tracks from the boxed set will be released across these digital editions or if I'll need those four discs, too.

EDIT: My mistake. It's Revolution that's being released. For some reason, the digital releases aren't in chronological order, with Born Again Savage coming next after Revolution and Freedom - No Compromise being released last.

Slightly off topic, a health warning.

A couple of Christmases ago, up popped a new Christmas movie, Christmas With The Kranks. Written by John Grisham (!), it is a Chris Colombus film. Starring Tim Allen, Jamie L Curtis, Cheech Marin and other notable names. Executive music producer (or something) is Steven. The soundtrack is brilliant, killer.

The movie is absolute, total shite. It's a steaming pile of dung. A total sleigh wreck. Avoid at all costs. Your well being depends on it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So, there I was last week, out walking down W 33rd St in Manhattan on my way to W 44th to see David Byrne's incredible American Utopia show on Broadway.  When, I kid you not, Steven was right in front of me dropping off his car to a valet (bus boy?) at a car park.  Needles.  Haystacks.  I said 'Steven, hello' with a wave and a smile.  He reciprocated and I carried on my way.  Small world.

Being in NYC I had to get up to Central Park and grab a few photos at the Bethesda Terrace where Steven did the photo shoots for Men Without Women.

Bethesda Terrace.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...