Paolo's Circus Story

Review: Bruce Springsteen’s “Western Stars: Songs From The Film”

Played it for a fourth time and man I'm just in awe at the magic of live music. It continues to amaze me how these songs are constantly improved in a live setting courtesy of the most minor of added details, both vocally and instrumentally.

Hopefully this golden age of live Springsteen we're in has no end in sight. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I planned on playing MSG 1988 at the gym today, but that was scrapped in favour of this the second "Tucson Train" kicked in.

Looking forward to a bit of the competition of Songs From The Film vs LA 1999 vs Archive #48 over the next few days/weeks for my undivided listening attention. 

Do you have a big enough following to play msg ?, Got to say i've never heard of you, but good luck with your plans

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Speaking as one who has largely disliked Patti singing with Bruce post TOL tour, I really don't mind her subtle touches on MM. It's especially nice on the 'bills and kids' line.  If you follow the reasoning that the protagonist's lover has died, then Patti sounds almost ghostly.  Just a thought. :blink:

This this this!!!!! you nailed it.

• Like 1

Just now, Promise61 said:

Speaking as one who has largely disliked Patti singing with Bruce post TOL tour, I really don't mind her subtle touches on MM. It's especially nice on the 'bills and kids' line.  If you follow the reasoning that the protagonist's lover has died, then Patti sounds almost ghostly.  Just a thought. :blink:

I'm glad you and others enjoy it, I just can't stomach her singing at all.

Can't please everyone I guess.

Totally crap afternoon at work, I wasn't going to listen to the CD, but decided to listen to Rhinestone Cowboy, I LOVE it, played 5 times on the journey home, Monday cannot come quick enough, I am not going to listen to the rest of the CD. I sang at the top of my voice all the way home, thank you Bruce.

• Like 7
  • Love Love Love! 1

All I can say is I loved it. All of it .Simples

Found Stones just lovely. They sound like the couple from Tougher Than The Rest 30 years on knowing each other's  BS but still hanging in.

Sooo looking forward to the film on Monday. Think I am going to need a box of tissues.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Nice review.

However, and everyone knows that it's not like me to be in the least bit pedantic :rolleyes:, but:

"rather than touring it as he’s done for the last eighteen."

The only word I can say is "Nebraska"

Sorry for the interruption, I'll crawl  back under my rock now. 

I was thinking after the movie, how great it would have been if they'd had this idea back in 82 and released a film and soundtrack of Nebraska performed live.

Of course, that was before the Brucemania of 84 so no one might have went to see it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I was thinking after the movie, how great it would have been if they'd had this idea back in 82 and released a film and soundtrack of Nebraska performed live.

With his Sony contract supposedly requiring a Nebraska "Anniversary Edition", I'm hoping it will still happen.

I'd love a low key performance with (for example) Roy or Charlie adding a bit of piano and accordion, Nils with some peddle steel and Soozie with a bit of violin. Despite the objections I'd also allow Patti in for some backing vocals.

• Like 2

I am resisting the temptation to play the CD (which arrived this morning) until I have seen the movie on Monday night. Did listen to Rhinestone Cowboy though which is a great version.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Moonlight Motel is gonna break your heart.  His voice !!  Wow.  Lived in, worn, battered and bruised.

Oh cripes! I've got to get the train home so I'll keep my head down and read my book. :)

On the train, that is, not in the cinema.

Just now, Born To Walk said:

With his Sony contract supposedly requiring a Nebraska "Anniversary Edition", I'm hoping it will still happen.

I'd love a low key performance with (for example) Roy or Charlie adding a bit of piano and accordion, Nils with some peddle steel and Soozie with a bit of violin. Despite the objections I'd also allow Patti in for some backing vocals.

Patti warbling all over Nebraska? God help me...Haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

I am resisting the temptation to play the CD (which arrived this morning) until I have seen the movie on Monday night. Did listen to Rhinestone Cowboy though which is a great version.

I listened to it also, love it. Roll on Monday so I can listen to the rest of the CD.

• Like 1

The movie isn't scheduled to play here at this point in time and the CD arrived this morning. After one listen, this will be my go to version of Western Stars from now on. I have enjoyed the original, but I think this is the superior version. His voice, wow! The only odd thing is half of my booklet is in upside down, oh well.

• Bruuuuce! 1

I really admire the willpower of all of you who have the new album but refuse to listen until after you have seen the movie.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

7 minutes ago, Silvia said:

I really admire the willpower of all of you who have the new album but refuse to listen until after you have seen the movie.

I like the anticipation. I know I'm going to love the music and the film. I can wait.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Promise61 said:

Moonlight Motel is gonna break your heart.  His voice !!  Wow.  Lived in, worn, battered and bruised.

Spot on. Perfect. So fitting. Just, perfect. 

Just played the HD files through listening on my headphones and all I can say is, bloody hell. Stunning. I don’t think I fully appreciated the quality of the live performances at the cinema two weeks ago as I was still in awe of having met the great man just hours earlier. 

I can’t wait to watch the film again at the cinema on Monday night, but this live album will be played to death for months to come. The ones which struck me as knocking the absolute spots off their studio album counterparts are: Hitch Hikin’, The Wayfarer, Sleepy Joe’s Cafe, Somewhere North of Nashville and There Goes My Miracle. 

We are blessed to have two incredible versions of this masterpiece album to listen to, within months of eachother. For fuck sake Bruce, how do you do it. 

Rhinestone Cowboy by the way, a contender for Bruce’s best cover of all time. 

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1

8 hours ago, red headed woman said:

Yes but I'm an ugly crier!!

oh God me too 

my eyes disapair into puffyness

not at all like the ladies on (insert your favourite day time soap) the bold and the beautiful 

its too bad we can't see the movie together with it being Halloween and all ;)

enjoy the movie :)

• Love Love Love! 1

3 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Of course, that was before the Brucemania of 84 so no one might have went to see it.

remember on the darkness doco and he said he wanted to be great ? and remember making BTR and he had the choir booked (that didn't show ) 

you don't become great without vission

and i bet he has a thousand possibilities  in his head over all these years and if in the last few years he's bringing some of those projects to fuision then im doubly happy for him