Greasy Lake Community

Bruce's impending return to E Street

6 hours ago, Lampi said:

Paul McCartney and Leonard Cohen, it seems.

Anyone who has seen Bob Weir recently would marvel with how he is performing at his age and between Dead and a Company and his multiple solo projects, he is still out there a lot.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think for a moment I have to disagree with the concept of “winding down”.  Since the conclusion of the last E Street Band Tour (Feb 2017).  The man has: 1. Completed an almost 400 page autobiog

McCartney, The Stones, The Who (all 75+ the British Invasion still putting on a show!), Neil Young, John Fogerty, Paul Simon, Robert Plant, Roger Waters, Dave Gilmour, Queen, Tom Jones, Little Steven,

I'm just hoping its rock n' roll.

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Walker in the sun said:

Van the man. Voice in great shape on Sunday night, tho’ he’s been a grumpy old man since his teens.

Aye. Saw him last week. I miss the soulful, mystic Irish rover side of Van, but he's still on top form.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Lampi said:

Paul McCartney and Leonard Cohen, it seems.

Stones, Ringo, Doobies, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac....All his contemporaries/peers are still out on the road. Thing is, Springsteen seems to need to get into rock band tour shape. Some of the interviews I've seen lately he looks tired and his speaking voice is soft & raspy. 

At this point he has eared the right to do what he wants, but my hope is that he does it with conviction not out of any sense of obligation.

Following up on WS is going to be a tall order. If he is doing an Estreet record I really hope if it is as well crafted as WS with the same attention to detail and production. A rushed effort now would really knock the wind out of his prior efforts the last few years.

I dont think we will see shorter shows, but perhaps more downtime in between shows (the moment he cant do 3 hours is the moment he will stop rock concerts).

His narrative and more acoustic based albums have always been my favourite. Bruce also seems to have acquired his true voice in the last few years. We know he has always been a sage but now it seems to come with ease... he seems to have evolved into his one true self that we knew was there all along. To that effect I would love to see him hone this futher with some sparse and cutting acoustic records and intimate theatre shows (but perhaps he thinks he can do that at 75+).

Also, watching the WS movie the other night I couldn't help but notice on 'Sleepy Joe's' that Bruce wanted to let loose almost as though muscle memory was kicking in... you could see him wanting to add energy to the song, the same with Rhinestone Cowboy.  So if the guy wants to rock, let him rock.

'Sundays I take my El Camino, throw my saddle in and go'.... maybe 2020 is his Sunday of all Sundays

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 1

There is definitely a new ESB album and tour on the way, he has confirmed this a number of times. He has also stated that he has been at his most creative in a long time over the past few years - the book, Broadway, finishing and honing Western Stars and now this wonderful film. Far from slowing down, he remains busy with his art and I for one cannot wait for the next rocking chapter with the ESB followed no doubt by other new endeavours. Bring it on and whatever shape it takes, well, he hasn’t let me down yet.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 2
2 hours ago, Robwarrior said:

I think for a moment I have to disagree with the concept of “winding down”.  Since the conclusion of the last E Street Band Tour (Feb 2017).  The man has:

1. Completed an almost 400 page autobiography 

2. Written, stage and arranged a Broadway Show based on that book.

3. Performed that show 5 nights a week for a year.

4. Completed a project that had been on the shelf for some time which included hours of studio time.

5. Created, performed and released a stunning documentary and performance of that project.   

That is all in less than 2 years.  That is a career for many artists.  He is not winding down.  He is working his ass off to do everything he has always wanted to do while he still can.  Now if that list includes taking a swing at another E Street record and tour, he will do it.  

Well yes when you break it down like that, The man really needs a rest. 

• Haha 3
11 hours ago, whispered secret said:

Why is he 'milking it' as opposed to doing all he can to promote new work? Personally, I am happier to have this album/film and any other 'milking' ahead of Tracks 2 or a BITUSA box set.

I want all of it. ALL. I'd love a Tracks 2 and a BITUSA boxed set. I want it ALL.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 3
4 hours ago, JustDan said:

Stones, Ringo, Doobies, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac....All his contemporaries/peers are still out on the road. Thing is, Springsteen seems to need to get into rock band tour shape. Some of the interviews I've seen lately he looks tired and his speaking voice is soft & raspy. 

He can't be in any worse shape than most of Fleetwood Mac, Stevie's voice is unbearable almost live now.  

4 hours ago, The_Magic Rat said:

At this point he has eared the right to do what he wants, but my hope is that he does it with conviction not out of any sense of obligation.

If he did a E Street tour out of obligation then I wouldn't be excited at all.  He knows there are fans who will always want nothing but, but if he goes the obligatory route, no thanks. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pregnant Sally said:

He can't be in any worse shape than most of Fleetwood Mac, Stevie's voice is unbearable almost live now.  

I guess that is something Fleetwood Mac and the E Street Band have in common: each have a member named Stevie with an unbearable voice!

• Haha 4
13 hours ago, BruceWho said:
13 hours ago, Rizla said:

Arenas = fewer tickets and higher prices.  Be careful what you wish for.

I'd take it every time!

If you manage to get tickets.

I can't afford to buy expensive seats very often, and I'd rather be able to see several shows than just one.  I prefer standing anyway, and the two Bruce shows I've seen from seated positions were the two I've enjoyed least.  I know I'd have had a much better time down on the floor.  Unfortunately arena shows offer a lot less standing room (if any) and so affordable tickets are hard to come by.

The half-stadium configuration at Cardiff was a brilliant compromise, he needs to do more there :D

• Like 1

No need for new music - we would all probably stand there and say it is shite! Bring on the farewell tour that goes on for 5 years and only plays weekends ( so we can all avoid that rainy Tuesday in Manchester/Sunderland add place of your nearest town away from capital city!) 

Throw in some Tracks stuff, Western stars choice of 1 song and play for 3 to 4 hours - I'm guessing we would all be happy Lakers.

Just a big tour to see Bruce and ESB together one last time would be enough!

8 hours ago, Rizla said:

If you manage to get tickets.

I can't afford to buy expensive seats very often, and I'd rather be able to see several shows than just one.  I prefer standing anyway, and the two Bruce shows I've seen from seated positions were the two I've enjoyed least.  I know I'd have had a much better time down on the floor.  Unfortunately arena shows offer a lot less standing room (if any) and so affordable tickets are hard to come by.

The half-stadium configuration at Cardiff was a brilliant compromise, he needs to do more there :D

Yeah Cardiff was superb (and Leeds the next night) - I have to say I don't recall much "sitting" during any of the many Bruce & ESB (and younger band for that matter) arena gigs that I have been fortunate enough to see both in UK/Europe & States (maybe during something like Mansion on the Hill or other "breathers" but even then I think a lot of us carried on standing!!).  I too "prefer" standing - if The Who play arenas I will get floor seats near the front because everyone stands (whereas up the sides - and the demographic of the audience these days - there are lots of "sitters"...…...I don't want to be sat during that music!!!).  My "wishing" for arenas has nothing to do with sitting - it is all about lights out / correct atmosphere from the get go and most of all "sound". 

The sound in the stadiums back in 85 was awesome - but on every tour since (and beginning with the very next one TOL in 88 - so this isn't anything "new") - I could count on one hand the "stadium shows" (out of probably 50+ "stadiums" in that time frame) where the sound has been "good" - it is invariably woeful (with Hyde Park and Emirates probably topping the bill) - whereas I can't think of a single show in an arena in that same time frame (probably about 40 of them - UK/Europe/States) where it wasn't good - some better than others granted but all of them streets ahead of most stadium gigs!...…..and fewer talking "casuals".     

• Sad 1
21 hours ago, The_Magic Rat said:

Following up on WS is going to be a tall order. If he is doing an Estreet record I really hope if it is as well crafted as WS with the same attention to detail and production. A rushed effort now would really knock the wind out of his prior efforts the last few years.

I dont think we will see shorter shows, but perhaps more downtime in between shows (the moment he cant do 3 hours is the moment he will stop rock concerts).

His narrative and more acoustic based albums have always been my favourite. Bruce also seems to have acquired his true voice in the last few years. We know he has always been a sage but now it seems to come with ease... he seems to have evolved into his one true self that we knew was there all along. To that effect I would love to see him hone this futher with some sparse and cutting acoustic records and intimate theatre shows (but perhaps he thinks he can do that at 75+).

Also, watching the WS movie the other night I couldn't help but notice on 'Sleepy Joe's' that Bruce wanted to let loose almost as though muscle memory was kicking in... you could see him wanting to add energy to the song, the same with Rhinestone Cowboy.  So if the guy wants to rock, let him rock.

'Sundays I take my El Camino, throw my saddle in and go'.... maybe 2020 is his Sunday of all Sundays

Not sure about that. Thinking of recent tours, not all shows have been 3 hours plus have they? How long was an average Seeger show or even the acoustic shows? E Street-wise the Magic tour shows seemed pretty fast and relatively short. Or am I misremembering? 

Hopefully the new album will be worthy of a tour - similar to The Rising and Wrecking Ball and not an odds and sods, barrel scraping effort like High Hopes.

Then he should stick to the core songs from that album and not cast them off for the usual war horses at the first opportunity.  No more full album shows. 

I'd also prefer a shorter, much tighter set.  This bar band schtick is wearing a bit thin - i'd rather the band rehearse a set number of songs with the occasional rarity than play some sort of fan bingo and haphazardly try to figure out how to play a song.  That's been done.

That being said, it would be great to hear some polished versions of later day songs that haven't featured much in recent years - Nothing Man / You'll be Coming Down / This Depression / Leah should all get more exposure. 

Oh, and a new rule should be imposed:

Fans with signs should be waterboarded and ejected.  Fans with signs requesting songs from other artists should be shot on the spot. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BruceWho said:

Yeah Cardiff was superb (and Leeds the next night) - I have to say I don't recall much "sitting" during any of the many Bruce & ESB (and younger band for that matter) arena gigs that I have been fortunate enough to see both in UK/Europe & States (maybe during something like Mansion on the Hill or other "breathers" but even then I think a lot of us carried on standing!!).  I too "prefer" standing - if The Who play arenas I will get floor seats near the front because everyone stands (whereas up the sides - and the demographic of the audience these days - there are lots of "sitters"...…...I don't want to be sat during that music!!!).  My "wishing" for arenas has nothing to do with sitting - it is all about lights out / correct atmosphere from the get go and most of all "sound". 

The sound in the stadiums back in 85 was awesome - but on every tour since (and beginning with the very next one TOL in 88 - so this isn't anything "new") - I could count on one hand the "stadium shows" (out of probably 50+ "stadiums" in that time frame) where the sound has been "good" - it is invariably woeful (with Hyde Park and Emirates probably topping the bill) - whereas I can't think of a single show in an arena in that same time frame (probably about 40 of them - UK/Europe/States) where it wasn't good - some better than others granted but all of them streets ahead of most stadium gigs!...…..and fewer talking "casuals".     

I'm not talking about whether you physically sit or stand.  The point is that a seated gig confines you to the area covered by your seat.

Standing means you can move around freely.  You can find less crowded areas if you want to dance, you can get away from annoying drunks and talkers, and of course you can seek out the spots where the sound is best.