MacBruce

Bruce's impending return to E Street

1 hour ago, berlintramp said:

We were talking about older acts who still put on a good show. Bob hasn't done that in ages. Just mumbling and screeching and ignoring the audience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, berlintramp said:

We were talking about older acts who still put on a good show. Bob hasn't done that in ages. Just mumbling and screeching and ignoring the audience.

When I see all these older acts mentioned insofar as they keep going I keep thinking big freaking deal.  If I don't have quality I don't care that they're still going.

Sir Paul's voice is shot, Debbie Harry was apparently so unlistenable last time Blondie was here that some of the audience walked out.

Who cares if they keep going if they're unlistenable?  

I think it is very reasonable to expect Bruce Springsteen to have a lot more in him. probably more songs, more albums (hopefully more good ones), and definitely more live shows.

What I don't expect is for the entire E Street Band to be able to keep up with him for long. Mortality is catching up on everyone - they could all live another ten years + but that doesn't mean they'll all be in shape to go on tour. You can lose one more core member or maybe two, and still have an E Street Band. But five - ten years from now, do we really want to see Bruce Springsteen and the "E Street Band" if there are only 3 or 4 people onstage who were part of the band in oh, 1999? (OTOH, if Bruce wants to tour some time with a band of various musicians including a few E Streeters and call that band something other than the ESB, I don't think anyone will be complaining.)

Hopefully this next E Street Band album will be pretty good, and there will be a strong tour that includes new and old material. It doesn't have to average 3 hours+ every night, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is in fact what they'll do. That's how they roll. Even if it turns out not to be the last tour the band does, they won't know that. One last chance power drive. 

Of course, I could see them playing shorter sets. I could see them playing a more rigid, rehearsed show in order to keep things tight, or alternatively loosen up and play setlists that change up a lot, but perhaps sacrifice  some of that tightness. They ain't that young anymore, and their fanbase is growing older too.  It's OK - we'll still go and have fun. I could also see them playing just two nights a week, perhaps in select markets.   Tickets could become harder to come by.

We'll see. Tomorrow never knows. But I am looking forward to this.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Magnus said:

do we really want to see Bruce Springsteen and the "E Street Band" if there are only 3 or 4 people onstage who were part of the band in oh, 1999?

Sure, why not? 

Will it be the same? Of course not. 

Will it be good? I'm pretty sure it would. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Hard to answer if you don't define 'unlistenable'. 

Harder still to imagine Bruce being so bad if only with a guitar and a mic. 

• Like 1

That is bad. Do people actually pay to see these shows? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, berlintramp said:

He's still utterly compelling and cool as hell.  

19 minutes ago, 100yrsOld said:

That is bad. Do people actually pay to see these shows? 

Sir Paul just charged 350 last time he was here.  Loads of people still loved the show but said some songs were painfully hard to get through coz of his voice.  Yeah, he's 76, it's what can happen, but I'd never pay it.  Not a ginormous fan anyway so there's that.  

I'd pay 350 to see Bruce sit on a stool and smile pretty.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Sir Paul's voice is shot, Debbie Harry was apparently so unlistenable....

Tongue in cheek, I would say I only want to go and see those that were born with the gift of a golden voice as they most certainly have the greatest vocal range. ;-)

p.s. I am a massive fan of our late friend. 

• Like 1

Having just watched Echo In The Canyon Ann, I'd have to agree.  Wilson really looked to be struggling, the way he was walking and sorta in his expressions - I know he's older and has other problems but I couldn't go see anyone I'm a fan of in that state.  Not even Bruce, though I joke about him sitting pretty on the stool.  

• Like 1

We saw him a 3 years ago and it was the saddest concert I have ever been to, just painful. A few weeks later we saw Paul Simon in the same venue and he was amazing - hence Mr J's comment.

7 hours ago, Growin' Up said:

Hopefully the new album will be worthy of a tour - similar to The Rising and Wrecking Ball and not an odds and sods, barrel scraping effort like High Hopes.

Then he should stick to the core songs from that album and not cast them off for the usual war horses at the first opportunity.  No more full album shows. 

I'd also prefer a shorter, much tighter set.  This bar band schtick is wearing a bit thin - i'd rather the band rehearse a set number of songs with the occasional rarity than play some sort of fan bingo and haphazardly try to figure out how to play a song.  That's been done.

That being said, it would be great to hear some polished versions of later day songs that haven't featured much in recent years - Nothing Man / You'll be Coming Down / This Depression / Leah should all get more exposure. 

Oh, and a new rule should be imposed:

Fans with signs should be waterboarded and ejected.  Fans with signs requesting songs from other artists should be shot on the spot. 

although i would like a darkness and a WIESS show but im hampered by my geography and casual fans needed to fill stadiums

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

although i would like a darkness and a WIESS show but im hampered by my geography and casual fans needed to fill stadiums

Hampered By Geography sounds like a great album title for someone.

• Haha 1

Older acts I've seen relatively recently;  Paul Simon, voice pretty much what it always was, although wasn't overly impressed with setlist, venue, or audience (Hyde Park 2017?). Roger Waters: great, sounded as good as ever, but apparently he lip synches so....Neil Young: Good as ever (London 02 , 2016), The Rolling Stones: honestly, they were terrible, Keith can hardly play these days, and the venue (London Stadium 2017 and crowd were horrible. However, if you want nostalgia and fireworks, or attending the 'even' over the actual music, The Stones are an enjoyable night out. Van Morrison: I've seen Van a lot, and yes his voice is still in good nick, but it is nowhere near what it was, despite what some of the devotees may claim, and his band/setlist recently are really boring. Saw him at Oxford last Sunday, it was ok, nothing more. Bob Dylan: seen Bob a lot, not going to try and convert anyone here, and at this late stage, but in Bob terms, from 2013 on ward his performances have been remarkably consistent.

Where does Bruce fit among this lot? I would say the closest is the Stones, in that it is energetic, rock and roll, for the most part. From what I've seen of Bruce lately, I just don't see him being able to put on that kind of show anymore. Expect a set where he is pretty much stationary. Now, that may be the norm for a lot of musicians, but not Bruce. I just can't see him in stadiums any longer, but no doubt he'll prove me wrong and/or there will be lots of 'band is playing better than ever', here's looking at you Keef, claims when anyone with eyes, or ears, can see that isn't the case.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 9:08 AM, whispered secret said:

Just don't anyone mention Bob Dylan :ph34r:

Well I'll do just that

I love Bob Dylan live

Constantly evolving, relying heavily on very strong new material, stripped down and tight band, playing small venues that suits his style at this time - sounds like everyone's dream Bruce show ;)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mad man with a box said:

Well I'll do just that

I love Bob Dylan live

Constantly evolving, relying heavily on very strong new material, stripped down and tight band, playing small venues that suits his style at this time - sounds like everyone's dream Bruce show ;)

Maybe a small venue works fine. In recent years I have only seen him at Hyde Park and, I can't say it was a disappointment, because my hopes were not high. I agree the band were excellent, but I didn't enjoy the arrangements and he talked rather than sang.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, whispered secret said:

Maybe a small venue works fine. In recent years I have only seen him at Hyde Park and, I can't say it was a disappointment, because my hopes were not high. I agree the band were excellent, but I didn't enjoy the arrangements and he talked rather than sang.

Understandable - I saw him in Hyde Park as well and I enjoyed it as a diehard fan but I would much rather have seen that setlist in one of his more usual venues

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whispered secret said:

I saw him years ago in a small venue and band aside who were indeed excellent and saved the show, Bob sucked.  

Couldn't decipher what he was singing most of the time.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Promise61 said:

He's still utterly compelling and cool as hell.  

Dylan is like Forest Gump's box of chocolates.  You never quite know what you are going to get.  On any given night he can be completely lethargic and unintelligible or enthralling and captivating.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mad man with a box said:

Understandable - I saw him in Hyde Park as well and I enjoyed it as a diehard fan but I would much rather have seen that setlist in one of his more usual venues

I live with a diehard and he enjoyed it well enough.

Currently listening to Travelin' Thru which is fantastic!

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 6:02 PM, whispered secret said:

Having just forked out money for Miss Ross, Mr J said to me that he hopes she is more Paul Simon than Brian Wilson...

:lol:, coincidently, I forked our for Santana yesterday, knowing that he can’t go wrong with the guitar.