Scott Peterson

New Archive: November 24, 1996 Asbury Park

http://live.brucespringsteen.net/live-music/0,23319/bruce-springsteen-paramount-theatre-asbury-park-nj-11-24-1996-mp3-flac-hd.html

Asbury Park '96

bs961124_01.jpg

November 24, 1996

Making his first full concert appearance in Asbury Park since the ’70s, Springsteen brings the Joad tour to where it all began. Accordingly, Bruce unfurls a Shore-centric set that opens with a three-song blast from Greetings: “Blinded By The Light,” “Does This Bus Stop At 82nd Street” and “Growin’ Up.” With sympathetic support from Danny Federici, Patti Scialfa and Soozie Tyrell, Bruce moves through apropos surprises (“Wild Billy’s Circus Story,” “Rosalita” and “Sandy”), moving rarities (“When You’re Alone” and “Shut Out The Light”) and wonderful takes of “Racing In The Street” and “Independence Day” among many highlights. 

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I'm going to pass and continue to party like it's 1999 for another month.  But I'm happy for those who are pleased with this release.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I find it notable how much more interesting Bruce himself seems to be in these "special" shows. I like 'em, too, but would prefer more "regular" concerts, with the special ones as neat little sideroads.

• Like 3

Maybe it should be noted this is the first of the three Asbury Park shows. 

The famous Asbury Park Night show (Crystal Cat bootleg) is the third show, 26 November 1996.

• Like 2

I am happy, but I am always happy with wheat germ and green beans too.

This is good, he seems loose and its well recorded.

Through another boot in the dust bin babeee.

Independence day is beautiful too. Worth the price alone. Dare I say ESSENCE!!

• Like 1

Pass for me but for those that like solo Bruce hope this is a good one for you.

If this has another violin outro from Soozie in place of the usual piano on Racing in the street then I’m in. Love it. 

• Like 1

I love the Joad shows - I don't play them all that regularly but there come times when you just need this sort of music and I'm very thankful that I have them

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2

I'm happy with this. Someone at Nugs must know it's campfire weather.

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1

6 minutes ago, Jerseyfornia said:

I'm happy with this. Someone at Nugs must know it's campfire weather.

Hmm....it is here now more weather to listen to Tom Waits, Townes Van Zandt, Cowboy Junkies or Johnny Cash in the dark, under a blanket, while it is raining outside, and with a bottle of whiskey near you.

Or listen to a Bruce Springsteen show from the Joad Tour.

But maybe that is what you meant.

Or exactly what you meant.

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Inevitably, there's lots of repetition in this Archive series now.  Of course, it throws up the odd curio track or two, but the fans either have those rarities already or they're easily locatable on YT or similar.

Thrilled for those who love it all but maybe it's time to put a bit of a spin on the whole Archive Series format.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Thrilled for those who love it all but maybe it's time to put a bit of a spin on the whole Archive Series format.

Er...still waiting for some pre-Born To Run Tour shows, more 1975 shows, at least 2 shows from 1976 (one show from the Spring 1976 tour and one show from the Fall 1976 tour), at least one more 1977 show, Winterland Night 2, Passaic 1978 Night 3, Atlanta 30.9.1978, more Europe 1981 shows, U.S.A. Summer 1981, U.S.A. Fall 1984, U.S.A. early 1984 (pre-New Jersey 1984 shows), at least one more Europe 1988 show,  Europe 1993, U.S.A. 1995, a standard U.S.A. Fall 1996 show, more Rising Tour shows, more 2005 shows, more Magic Tour shows, early 2009 shows.

And more Darkness shows. And even more Darkness shows.

And a Steel Mill show.

And Wembley 2002.

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 4

AWESOME SHOW TODAY!!!! This was very much needed - this was a terrific stand. 

Brad

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

Just now, BruceHistory said:

AWESOME SHOW TODAY!!!! This was very much needed - this was a terrific stand. 

Brad

Well, he was sat down for some of it.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Er...still waiting for some pre-Born To Run Tour shows, more 1975 shows, at least 2 shows from from 1976 (one show from the Spring 1976 tour and one show from the Fall 1976 tour), at least one more 1977 show, Winterland Night 2, Atlanta 30.9.1978, more Europe 1981 shows, U.S.A. Summer 1981, U.S.A. Fall 1984, U.S.A. early 1984 (pre-New Jersey 1984 shows), at least one more Europe 1988 show,  Europe 1993, U.S.A. 1995, a standard U.S.A. Fall 1996 shows, more Rising Tour shows, more 2005 shows, more Magic Tour shows, early 2009 shows.

And more Darkness shows. And even more Darkness shows.

And a Steel Mill show.

And Wembley 2002.

When I said to put a 'spin' on it, I was referring to unlocking the demos and outtakes.

I'd spend a king's ransom on that stuff.

• Like 4

I’m delighted there’s another rare live version of The Line out there now.  Big fan of that track.

• Like 3

I have zero interest in any demos or outtakes so please keep that stuff away for the Live Archive Series.  They can put that stuff out separately in box sets where they belong.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Lampi said:

still waiting for some pre-Born To Run Tour shows

Yessss.. bring on '74!!! 

Awesome! Thrilled to get this one. I can't wait to listen to Independence Day, sounds amazing on the preview.

Been playing this all morning...so good.

Independence day is amazing, Racing, so many others...very moved and the rap before Across the Border is another example of why I love this music and the man who has had the courage to make it. Fits well with the moment we are all living. Wont express my political beliefs here. But suffice it to say we all need it now, Bless you my Pilgrims, may the beauty of this recording find you in good graces and you can feel this deep soul in your heart....gather your strength and keep moving through the dark to find a new day.

• Like 7

Sometimes it is said Bruce really needed to do the Seeger project and Seeger tour. But it seems he really needed to do the Joad Tour too-for himself(and for his audience of course).

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 2

I have been listening mostly to WS and Joad since June, and I'm not getting bored, the two albums really pair well and I think Bruce dropped some of his masks during that tour.

I'm delighted we got another one. I used to say that with a time machine, I'd go to 88, but have since changed my mind. The Joad tour was the reset he needed.

I haven't listened so far, but am so looking forward.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1