Scott Peterson

New Archive: November 24, 1996 Asbury Park

There are few things more magnificent and splendid than the pairing of talented guitar/violin playing or guitar/accordion playing. This is a PERFECT release, though I will say that both the second and third shows are better (For You with Bruce and Danny is one of my favorite things he has ever done live).

Shut Out the Light and Racing in the Street are worth the money by themselves. Everything else is just icing.

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 2

The three Joad shows released so far complement each other nicely; Belfast is the pure shot, while the New Jersey shows offer more variation, and some excellent versions of less commonly played songs too.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I mean, I'm fully aware that I've got an Archive Series guide to keep updated, but I'm in no real rush to hear this, to be perfectly honest. 

So...

Played it last night and this morning, loved it. I'm busy tonight so a review/guide update will happen either tomorrow or on Monday. 

• Like 1

what a wonderful show

that Joad is perfect

for a moment i forgot it was the 'shut the fuck up' tour and i have been singing along and also lots of  loud out of tune whistling 

its so lovelly hearing Danny's contribution on this show

they accept the boarder is sublime

all the Joad tracks are heaet breakingly beautiful

his acoustic guitar is just so lovelly 

On 11/1/2019 at 1:01 PM, Silvia said:

The Joad tour was the reset he needed.

Good way to put this S.  I'd argue that all of his detours were the reset he needed but take the point nonetheless.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

for a moment i forgot it was the 'shut the fuck up' tour and i have been singing along and also lots of  loud out of tune whistling 

I think you're allowed to do that in the privacy of your own space. I believe the "shut the fuck up" part only applied to the people actually there on the night. You should be OK. 

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, J said:

I think you're allowed to do that in the privacy of your own space. I believe the "shut the fuck up" part only applied to the people actually there on the night. You should be OK. 

:lol:

ill tell the OH that ! 

him and the cat wern't overly impressed seeing as it was well after midnight 

but i just could not help myself :lol:

9 hours ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Good way to put this S.  I'd argue that all of his detours were the reset he needed but take the point nonetheless.  

Absolutely, I think he finds the 'detouring' very stimulative.

Just another lesson you can learn from him. Get off that beaten road of predictability. 

• Like 1

I don't mind having this kind of headache. :)

Enjoyable read, as always. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

the forty-eighth Archive Series release (and thirtieth since the First Friday run began in August 2017)

...damn. That's a lot. That's 48 or 30 more than we ever would have believed possible 10 years ago. And while I really, really, really hope they don't stop any time soon, that really is one hell of a surfeit of riches already. 

• Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 1

46 minutes ago, Silvia said:

I don't mind having this kind of headache. :)

Enjoyable read, as always. 

A headache where the relief is listening to more Springsteen. Then again, that's usually every headache :blink:

Thanks for checking it out.

24 minutes ago, Scott Peterson said:

...damn. That's a lot. That's 48 or 30 more than we ever would have believed possible 10 years ago. And while I really, really, really hope they don't stop any time soon, that really is one hell of a surfeit of riches already. 

Yep, and if you want to include the High Hopes and 2016-17 River Tour shows that's 168 since January 2014. The saying is "Quality over quantity", but thankfully in this instance it's "Quality and quantity". 

• Like 2

Wild Billy on this show is fantastic. One thing about the acoustic shows is that they really highlight Bruce's vocals. He sounds great on this. The phrasing 'like a great grease paint ghost on the wind' is similar to the line in Thunder Road. I always expect him to follow with, 'So Mary climb in..'!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

A headache where the relief is listening to more Springsteen. Then again, that's usually every headache :blink:

Thanks for checking it out.

Yep, and if you want to include the High Hopes and 2016-17 River Tour shows that's 168 since January 2014. The saying is "Quality over quantity", but thankfully in this instance it's "Quality and quantity". 

river shows all quality except those blasted Texan cowgirl tenny boppers 

Isn't this the 46th Archive Series release?

EDIT: are you counting the remastered releases additionally?

9 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Isn't this the 46th Archive Series release?

EDIT: are you counting the remastered releases additionally?

I may have messed up the wording again. 

You're right that it's the 46th release, but I count the two Christic and two No Nukes shows as separate shows. So 46 releases have brought 48 shows. 

• Like 3

Ah, yeah, that makes sense. 48 separate shows in 46 releases.

What a lucky people we are.

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 1

11 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I may have messed up the wording again. 

You're right that it's the 46th release, but I count the two Christic and two No Nukes shows as separate shows. So 46 releases have brought 48 shows. 

How do the 2/7/77 and 2/8/77 shows figure into the total show count?  I don’t recall if they were a single release or not.

9 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

How do the 2/7/77 and 2/8/77 shows figure into the total show count?  I don’t recall if they were a single release or not.

It was because of those shows, I listen to the download first on ESR before buying. 

Kind of like this one, I've heard it a couple times on ESR, like a few tunes but don't know if it's worth buying for only a couple of tunes. I now it's only 12-13 bucks. 

• Like 2

Those are sold separately, not as one release. So it's 49 shows in 46 releases.

• Like 2

Just one short comment re this month's show. 

His giggles. Priceless. :)

• Haha 1

Downloaded the other Asbury Park shows from this run and it reminds me of how ridiculously irritating American audiences could be in 1996/1999/2000

All the hooting and hollering DURING the quiet songs???

European shows that tour audiences were pretty quiet save for the "Fookin Luv Ya" guy from Scotland

American audiences seemed to have improved by the time he toured Devils and Dust

Or was it the track listing?

1 hour ago, jukeblue said:

American audiences seemed to have improved by the time he toured Devils and Dust

Yeah, but we had to be given written instructions on how not to be a jackass at an acoustic show.

140px-Devils&DustTourHandout.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1