Sign in to follow this  
CrushOnOutlawPete

The Future Is Bulletproof: After 7 years, MCR are back! (My Chemical Romance discussion)

I was thinking of posting a My Chemical Romance thread very recently anyway! I don't know how much interest there'd be here -- a search looks like they've never even really been mentioned on this forum, and their fanbase probably skews younger than most members here -- but it can't hurt to try? Despite their negative reputation (especially among people who didn't actually give them the time of day), they actually are an outstanding band with a very consistent discography. And years after they broke up, and after I figured I'd never get to see them live -- something I'd thought about multiple times in the past year or two especially -- turns out they're getting back together! Right now it's just for a show in L.A. and one in Australia... but they've got a new logo, are posting positively about the fan response, so surely there's gotta be more on the horizon.

Any other MCR fans on this board?

Might present a sample platter of some of their better songs to try and win over people who haven't been converted...

On 11/2/2019 at 10:33 PM, stillilllife said:

I've never really taken the time to listen to them, but I do like Welcome to the black parade and I absolutely love Famous last words.

Great picks! "Famous Last Words" is my all-time favorite song of theirs. It's a phenomenal ending to a great album. If you like those two, you really might enjoy the rest of the album; I'd recommend checking out "The Sharpest Lives" and the opening pair of "The End."/"Dead!" from that album, and maybe "Helena" and "Cemetery Drive" off Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge, their previous release.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 9:06 PM, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

and their fanbase probably skews younger than most members here

What are you trying to say here? :P

By the way I'm 58yo!, seen them with my daughter back in 2010. shit that was almost 10 years ago. Loved the show. I remember at the end of the show only the lead singer and keyboard player played a very haunting song. Don't know the name of it, but it was very powerful.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I believe what he's trying to say here is that we are old fogies.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

By the way I'm 58yo!, seen them with my daughter back in 2010. shit that was almost 10 years ago. Loved the show. I remember at the end of the show only the lead singer and keyboard player played a very haunting song. Don't know the name of it, but it was very powerful.  

Searched a little...Is it this?:

Haha just that on a demographic level there's probably not a ton of overlap between big My Chemical Romance fans and big Springsteen fans, and the fanbase of the former skews younger than that of the latter. As a devout fan of both, obviously no negative tone is intended.

I'm glad you enjoyed the show! I thought it'd be "Cancer". I've never had the chance to see them live (...yet!)

30 minutes ago, CrushOnOutlawPete said:

Haha just that on a demographic level there's probably not a ton of overlap between big My Chemical Romance fans and big Springsteen fans, and the fanbase of the former skews younger than that of the latter. As a devout fan of both, obviously no negative tone is intended.

I'm glad you enjoyed the show! I thought it'd be "Cancer". I've never had the chance to see them live (...yet!)

OK, you're forgiven. :D

On 11/2/2019 at 9:33 PM, stillilllife said:

I've never really taken the time to listen to them, but I do like Welcome to the black parade and I absolutely love Famous last words.

Love this tune.  Probably the only song of theirs I love but I love it loads.  Killer guitars.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Love this tune.  Probably the only song of theirs I love but I love it loads.  Killer guitars.  

Mainly killer melodies for me. The chorus vocal line is so damn good and then when the drums for the last chorus changes back to the original rhythm while that chorus vocal line comes in it creates such an awesome epic effect.

The chorus vocal line is also indeed killer.  

I remember when I first heard this song, couldn't stand the band then I thought, "wow, this song is freaking killer!"  

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 4:53 AM, Jimmy James said:

Yes, that the tune. But I believe our show was a lot better than that video. 

Where did you see them?

1 hour ago, stillilllife said:

Where did you see them?

St. Louis. 2010 it was around Christmas time if I remember correctly. 

So I lucked out like crazy and am flying to California for the show. :D

At a place that's of interest to Lakers... the Shrine in Los Angeles! ;) Not the first time one of my favorites has broken a hiatus to show up there!