Sign in to follow this  
AMIW

Fa cup tie lasts 3 hours as they run out of refs

When the two remaining official had to decide who was going to  do what role, it must have been like the Glen Campbell song -

Which Is The Linesman

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, AMIW said:

at least it wasn't desided on some weird count back rule .....:angry: (still not over cricket world cup)

First time I've heard of 2 officials being injured in a game,sometimes they can find an official in the crowd,I know my son was at a first round game yesterday,shows the importance of warm ups,especially on such a cold day. 

9 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

at least it wasn't desided on some weird count back rule .....:angry: (still not over cricket world cup)

Don't worry Daisey,not likely there'll be another Eng/NZ tie anytime soon....oh wait.....

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, High As Hope said:

Don't worry Daisey,not likely there'll be another Eng/NZ tie anytime soon....oh wait.....

....i know :o

what the hell ???

i could not beleave it 

mind you its 20 / 20

lets see how the tests go

now a tie in a test is a very rear beast 

opps forgot what thread i was on for a moment

Not really that unusual away from the top levels of the game where you only have 3 officials (if you're lucky!) and what they eventually did is the normal protocol - although the remaining assistant would normally be left on the dugout side and, if possible, the injured official takes a "club linesman's" role standing at the half way line and indicating ball-out but not offside. 

With just one assistant, the referee changes the diagonal he operates on to be able to judge things that happen in the missing assistant's zone - when you start out you typically have no assistants, so you learn the necessary positioning to be able to make the best judgement you can.

Happened to me a couple of times, funniest being a semi-pro game where the ref said beforehand that he wasn't feeling well as he was fasting for Ramadan!!!!. Sure enough, at half time he said he couldn't continue and the senior assistant (me...) had to come on for the second half of what was an already feisty game.

On 11/10/2019 at 4:02 AM, High As Hope said:

First time I've heard of 2 officials being injured in a game,sometimes they can find an official in the crowd,I know my son was at a first round game yesterday,shows the importance of warm ups,especially on such a cold day. 

My cousin was called in to do exactly that for a college game once.  He'd done officiating on the high school and amateur club level and the college coach had used him in practice .They hauled him out of the stands to do his bit in a borrowed officials uniform and his sneakers.