The Official MLB 2020 thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I so wish he had only played baseball, and for a long time. Tremendous athlete.   

"Houston Asterisks".

Posted Images

10 hours ago, JimCT said:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/gerrit-cole-signs-with-yankees-for-record-breaking-324-million-deal/

Gerrit Cole signs with Yankees for record-breaking $324 million deal

The Yankees have given Cole the biggest pitching contract in baseball history

I once had a conversation with a die-hard Yankee fan from Indiana who was lamenting the fact that even though the Yankees could pay these blowout contracts, it actually worked against them because they would be stuck with aging veterans under long term deals that they couldn't unload.  Whereas the small money clubs like Cincinnati had to rely on younger, unproven guys that could easily move in and out of contracts.

I looked at him like he was crazy.

35 minutes ago, sonicramone said:

I once had a conversation with a die-hard Yankee fan from Indiana who was lamenting the fact that even though the Yankees could pay these blowout contracts, it actually worked against them because they would be stuck with aging veterans under long term deals that they couldn't unload.  Whereas the small money clubs like Cincinnati had to rely on younger, unproven guys that could easily move in and out of contracts.

I looked at him like he was crazy.

I thought the Yankees had learned their lesson about longer contracts. Other pitchers are getting 7 years, why go to 9? Unless the last 2 years are conditional, performance-based/triggered (e.g., 8th year is triggered by IP during the previous year, or two, or average of the 2, or highest of the 2, 9th year similarly) this is bad precedent, and bad business.

The only long-term contract I would ever had made an exception for is Jeter, because he was home-grown, life-long Yankee, performed at a high level, took excellent physical and mental care of himself (minimizing the injury risk), and had zero off-the-field issues. And if Rivera had pushed for a longer term deal I would have granted that as well, for exactly the same reasons. Two outstanding players, but more importantly outstanding human beings.

And when Judge is ready, I'd do the same for him. Iconic, face-of-the-franchise player. Yankee for life.

3 hours ago, JimCT said:

I thought the Yankees had learned their lesson about longer contracts. Other pitchers are getting 7 years, why go to 9? Unless the last 2 years are conditional, performance-based/triggered (e.g., 8th year is triggered by IP during the previous year, or two, or average of the 2, or highest of the 2, 9th year similarly) this is bad precedent, and bad business.

The only long-term contract I would ever had made an exception for is Jeter, because he was home-grown, life-long Yankee, performed at a high level, took excellent physical and mental care of himself (minimizing the injury risk), and had zero off-the-field issues. And if Rivera had pushed for a longer term deal I would have granted that as well, for exactly the same reasons. Two outstanding players, but more importantly outstanding human beings.

And when Judge is ready, I'd do the same for him. Iconic, face-of-the-franchise player. Yankee for life.

Maybe it's a way to pay these players even into retirement.  I think the Reds are still paying Griffey Jr. deferred money from his contract from years ago.

Edit:  Ken Griffey, Jr. will make $3,593,750 from the Reds in 2020.  Bronson Arroyo will make $1,363,636 in 2020.

• 2 weeks later...

And for the record, last week, the 22nd, was the darkest day of the year. No, not the Winter Solstice - the day halfway between the end of the World Series and the beginning of Spring training.

:D 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JudgeBrown said:

Is Carlos Beltran in any danger, do we think?

I doubt it - he was a player at the time, not one of the managers. 

So far, the commissioner hasn't gone after ANY of the players.  At this point, the league has only sanctioned 2 administration (coach and GM) members and haven't even mentioned any of the players and their involvement.   The issue of the players is problematic, first you gotta face the players union, second it will punish other teams beyond the one that was cheating, thirdly some players got immunity for their testimony and how do you punish all the involved players commensurate to their culpability - I don't think you can, so I think they won't

1 hour ago, JimCT said:

Amazing that the Mets fired him when he was undefeated in his stint as their manager.

I mean come on, they let a guy who lost 120 games in 1 season manager 3 more years.