Greasy Lake Community

The Official MLB 2020 thread

I am wondering if the Mets have heard from MLB that this was going to include Beltran, or if they just felt that washing their hands of him now would be the right PR move.   In the Astros report that mentioned his name, it didn't indicate that they would be dealing with him later, like was said about Cora. 

Maybe the Mets just don't want any of the splatter landing on them, now or in the future.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I so wish he had only played baseball, and for a long time. Tremendous athlete.   

"Houston Asterisks".

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

On paper the Dodgers look to be unstoppable with this trade. 

Well, you play the actual games on grass, not on paper ;) It's not the Stratomatic version :D 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, JimCT said:

So the Sox dump ~$60mm of 2020 salary. Their goal is to get below the luxury tax threshold and reset. I could see them come back in for Betts when he goes free agent at the end of the season, as long as they didn't burn the bridge with him with this trade.

Fenway Sports Group, being businessmen. Fans of LFC, pay attention! ;) @AMIW

Hey, @JudgeBrown - the stinkin' Dodgers are trying to buy the pennant!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JimCT said:

So the Sox dump ~$60mm of 2020 salary. Their goal is to get below the luxury tax threshold and reset. I could see them come back in for Betts when he goes free agent at the end of the season, as long as they didn't burn the bridge with him with this trade.

Fenway Sports Group, being businessmen. Fans of LFC, pay attention! ;) @AMIW

Hey, @JudgeBrown - the stinkin' Dodgers are trying to buy the pennant!

Making the postseason fail more delicious.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

image.png.52f5dd8ebcd288b3a6bf7a10e83d19a0.png

That is wrong.

After the Super Bowl comes hockey season.

Baseball season is the couple of months in the late spring - summer after the Penguins are eliminated from the playoffs or win the Stanley Cup and when the Steelers report to Latrobe for training camp.

• Like 1

What are everyone's thoughts on the proposed new playoff structure? I think it is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard, and probably just an attempt to distract from the sign stealing story.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, JudgeBrown said:

What are everyone's thoughts on the proposed new playoff structure? I think it is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard, and probably just an attempt to distract from the sign stealing story.

30 teams playing 162-game seasons so that 14 qualify for the "post-season" is ludicrous. 8 was ok, barely, given the 6 division set-up. Every increase after that just resembles hockey (16 of 31 qualify), which I stopped following years ago.

I believe that increasing the "relevance" of the post-season diminishes the relevance of the regular season. For those of us who remember, when there was only 1 winner of each league going to the World Series every game of the 154 was really, really important.Yes, I understand that expansion meant that the divisioning and the unbalanced schedule became important, but "don't be like hockey" is a decent slogan.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, JudgeBrown said:

I think it is definitely an attempt to change the discussions on TV, radio and water coolers everywhere.

While it adds excitement of the "playoff run" to more teams, I can't imagine the playoffs running longer ( even into November ) due to extra games.   One solution to that is to eliminate the day of rest that sometimes happens during playoff series.  But we don't need any more baseball playoff games in my opinion, less would be fine. 

I do admit that I don't like the 1-game playoff that exists currently, where literally one error can effectively end a season.  A mini-series of 3 games would be better to me.  But adding more teams/series seems unnecessary

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

One solution to that is to eliminate the day of rest that sometimes happens during playoff series.

I had brought this up before, but Whitey Herzog had said all series (divisional, championship and world series) should be a 7 game series with no time off. Which will show how you got there from playing 162 games. You would need 2 closer(s) maybe! You would need all 5 starters. 

As it stands now with all these days off in between games, your closer is always rested and you really only need 3 good starters to win a series. 

The one game play in, is fine with me, because you don't belong anyway, you came in second place! 

• Like 1

“Our opinion is that this didn’t impact the game,” owner Jim Crane said. “We had a good team. We won the World Series and we’ll leave it at that.” :wacko:

This is from the owner of the Astros. Guess he won't mind if the Astros  pitchers have to let the opposing hitters know if they will be throwing a fastball or breaking ball.