Jump to content

The Official MLB 2020 thread


Recommended Posts

Hey @JimCT, do you think the players are going to hand the owners a win with this pay dispute.

Owners are surely going to lose money if the season starts. Only a handful of teams have big enough TV deals to carry the difference of no fans at the stadium. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In Nevada you can bet on anything. And I would say take the over.

I so wish he had only played baseball, and for a long time. Tremendous athlete.   

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Hey @JimCT, do you think the players are going to hand the owners a win with this pay dispute.

Owners are surely going to lose money if the season starts. Only a handful of teams have big enough TV deals to carry the difference of no fans at the stadium. 

I'd hardly call it a "win" for the owners. No team can survive without fans in the stands unless they cut their costs. As payroll is the biggest, it seems right to share the burden. I haven't seen the whole proposal, just a quick blurb that players at the bottom of the payroll would essentially get pro-rated while the stars would take bigger hits. On the surface that seems reasonable to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JimCT said:

I'd hardly call it a "win" for the owners. No team can survive without fans in the stands unless they cut their costs. As payroll is the biggest, it seems right to share the burden. I haven't seen the whole proposal, just a quick blurb that players at the bottom of the payroll would essentially get pro-rated while the stars would take bigger hits. On the surface that seems reasonable to me.

Well what I meant by a win is, if the players keep balking at these different proposals. There will be no season at all, which in turn, might just be what the owners want. And then blame the players for the missed season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JimCT said:

No team can survive without fans in the stands

The Yankees, Red Sox's, the two LA teams. With those big TV packages can't survive? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

The Yankees, Red Sox's, the two LA teams. With those big TV packages can't survive? 

No. First, the tv revenues will likely be commensurately reduced. Second, the match-day revenues include those lucrative luxury suites. The link below shows the operating income. Once you subtract the match-day income you can see how badly they would be hurt. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/827426/new-york-yankees-operating-income/

Link to post
Share on other sites

one of the high prospects (#2) this year choosing USC over MLB draft

18YO, 6'3", 215, bats and throws righty

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=404094

parents are Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf :) 

https://www.mlb.com/news/andre-agassi-steffi-graf-son-jaden-a-draft-prospect

 

“He is a freaky strong kid,” says an evaluator from one Major League team, “with raw power.”

That power comes both at the plate and on the mound. Agassi has been ranked by Perfect Game as the No. 2 Draft prospect in Nevada because of his easy, low-90s velocity as a pitcher, his high ceiling with the bat and his good hands in the field. Agassi didn’t inherit his parents’ tennis tack, but he did inherit their hand-eye coordination and their ability to shine in the big moment.

The plan is for him to put all those skill sets to work at USC as a two-way player. At some point, though, he might have to pick a lane.

“Sooner or later, baseball will make that decision for him,” Andre says. “But objectively, with his composure and control of a game, he seems to really shine on the bump.”

Jaden’s longtime coach -- former Minor League pitcher Evan Greusel, who has worked with him since he was 8 -- agrees.

“He has a pitcher’s personality,” Greusel says. “He’s got funny jokes, quirks. He also has the best pickoff move and is the best at holding runners that I’ve ever seen at any level. And I’ve never seen him get rattled on the mound.”

Agassi can rattle opposing batters with what qualifies, at his age, as the rare ability to throw a changeup.

“A lot of kids can throw a breaking ball, but his changeup is as good as I’ve seen,” says Brad Maloff, another of Agassi’s Las Vegas Recruits coaches. “That’s his out pitch.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, JimCT said:

The plan is for him to put all those skill sets to work at USC as a two-way player.

Are you sure his parents didn't pay for him to get in? :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rounders players want the season to last til thanksgiving... hiw are they going to play through the snow on Chicago, Denver, boston etc?
 

Major League Baseball players have rejected an offer from clubs over pay and the season schedule, according to reports.

Players had been warned by club owners that the effects of the pandemic, including a delay from the original 26 March start date and having to play behind closed doors, would require additional salary cuts. 

The players agreed to be paid on a prorated basis on games completed in March.

They have now proposed that they receive a higher percentage of their salaries while committing to play a 114-game regular season starting on 30 June, instead of the 82 games proposed by owners.

This would see the regular season end by 31 October and could extend the World Series beyond Thanksgiving on 26 November.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they should go with 70-100 games, whatever they can squeeze in if they agreed today.

The players would play for 60%, maybe more, of their prorated salary with the rest deferred with interest.

Players lose salary in the short term but eventually get paid.

Owners lose less money this year when less is coming in, and pay later once fans are back and new TV deals kick in.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.tmz.com/2020/06/11/alex-cora-says-entire-astros-team-to-blame-for-cheating-scandal-no-2-man-show/

I personally would bar all of the position players from the BBHOF in the future, and there are several who would be considered. The pitchers I might give a pass to, not sure how much they were aware. TBD. I'd hate for Verlander to suffer that kind of consequence, as he certainly didn't benefit (except to the extent the team got to and won the WS.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, burghfan said:

I think they should go with 70-100 games, whatever they can squeeze in if they agreed today.

The players would play for 60%, maybe more, of their prorated salary with the rest deferred with interest.

Players lose salary in the short term but eventually get paid.

Owners lose less money this year when less is coming in, and pay later once fans are back and new TV deals kick in.

It does not make sense to pay players a full season's wage (whether now, or later with interest) for a partial season. Not even the players asked for that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, JimCT said:

It does not make sense to pay players a full season's wage (whether now, or later with interest) for a partial season. Not even the players asked for that.

I meant pay a percentage of however many games are played, and the deferred money being for that number of games, not a full season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

The season may be delayed, but today is still Bobby Bonilla Day!

All you Mets fans may face palm now :D 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the relationships between some managers and veteran players may be tested big time in this shorten season. 

Managers won't have the luxury to wait for a player get into groove. If you're in a slump you are most likely going to the bench. Hope it happens Molina.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...