SoulBoogieAlex

The Irishman - Spoiler Alert - Don't Read If You Want to Be Surprised

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I'm not that fussed about finding out

I completely agree, not too fussed about watching it - something about sitting in a cinema for 3 and a half hours watching it does not appeal to me (yet here I am, a member of a Springsteen fansite, eagerly awaiting the possibility of a new tour, listening to archive shows - the irony is not lost on me!!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BobbyJames said:

 

Its been out on Netflix and showing in cinemas in Newcastle for a couple of weeks nearly - check it out! (I could not write this in a way that did not sound arsey or sarcastic, genuinely trying to give you information and be helpful!)

EDIT - I am wrong about Netflix, starts Wednesday (my apologies) - I remember seeing the icon for it last week but just clicked it now and saw it was a preview

Aye, if it's on Netflix on Wednesday I'm not garna bother trekking through Newcastle and end up spending a fortune when I can watch it at home. 

Funnily enough, that sentence is exactly the sort of thing that Martin Scorsese has been kicking off about recently :lol:

4 hours ago, BobbyJames said:

I completely agree, not too fussed about watching it - something about sitting in a cinema for 3 and a half hours watching it does not appeal to me (yet here I am, a member of a Springsteen fansite, eagerly awaiting the possibility of a new tour, listening to archive shows - the irony is not lost on me!!)

Well I went to see the 3 hour long Avengers: Endgame three times, so I can't really say the same, but I know what you mean. I'm looking forward to watching this in the sense of there being something new and likely very good/excellent to watch, but the more I think about it, there's nothing really to spoil or be bothered about with it to make it must watch. . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Well I went to see the 3 hour long Avengers: Endgame three times, so I can't really say the same, but I know what you mean. I'm looking forward to watching this in the sense of there being something new and likely very good/excellent to watch, but the more I think about it, there's nothing really to spoil or be bothered about with it to make it must watch. . 

The Good the Bad and the Ugly is one of my favourite films ever and that clocks in at 3 hours so I’m not really sure what point I was trying to make:lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, BobbyJames said:

The Good the Bad and the Ugly is one of my favourite films ever and that clocks in at 3 hours so I’m not really sure what point I was trying to make:lol:

Love that film so much, The Ecstasy of Gold scene is one of my favourites in the history of cinema. 

I think it's quite funny you should bring that particular film up as well. In the last week I've watched Once Upon a Time in America (3hrs46!) and A Fistful of Dynamite/Duck, You Sucker!/Once Upon a Time... The Revolution as they were the two major Sergio Leone films I hadn't seen - been meaning to write reviews on them but other things are getting in the way. Truthfully I'd love to be able to write something about the magic of Leone's films, but I can't find the right words to do it justice. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Love that film so much, The Ecstasy of Gold scene is one of my favourites in the history of cinema. 

I think it's quite funny you should bring that particular film up as well. In the last week I've watched Once Upon a Time in America (3hrs46!) and A Fistful of Dynamite/Duck, You Sucker!/Once Upon a Time... The Revolution as they were the two major Sergio Leone films I hadn't seen - been meaning to write reviews on them but other things are getting in the way. Truthfully I'd love to be able to write something about the magic of Leone's films, but I can't find the right words to do it justice. 

Yeah they're all amazing - I'm not a huge cinema person but I am a big Leone fan. The Spaghetti Western trilogy and Once Upon a Time in the West are four of my all time favourites. 

If you're writing about the magic of his films, it would be criminal to leave out Ennio Morricone - the heart and soul of the four films I just mentioned

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BobbyJames said:

Yeah they're all amazing - I'm not a huge cinema person but I am a big Leone fan. The Spaghetti Western trilogy and Once Upon a Time in the West are four of my all time favourites. 

If you're writing about the magic of his films, it would be criminal to leave out Ennio Morricone - the heart and soul of the four films I just mentioned

I hadn't watched Once Upon a Time in the West until this past summer for film season on the blog and I've spent the last three months in awe of it. From Morricone's main theme to Henry Fonda being an utter bastard (I watched 12 Angry Men for the first time this year as well so it's quite the Fonda contrast) it's all just so damn good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Irishman is well worth seeing in a cinema. If you wait and watch it on Netflix it will not be the same as you will definitely ruin it by taking tea/coffee/beer/toilet (maybe in that order) breaks. You will also just appreciate it more if you see it in the environment it was made for.

They all deserve Oscars.

  • Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy smoke over 3 hours. Great acting. Kind of boring in spots.

Steve's spot: a bit hilarious and a bit degrading if you ask me. Sometimes it best just to say no to somethings.

Spoiler

I always thought Jimmy Hoffa was buried in Giant Stadium 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been looking forward to this film for yonks.

I dunno what it is with me and films i look forward but they have been such a disappointment recently ( apart from Western Stars )

The thing they did with trying to make old blokes look young did not work, Robert De Niro is my favorite actor and always will be but, when he gave that bloke a kicking on the pavement it was cringeworthy, FFS handbags ! 

Steves bit was pointless, i just didn't see why the film needed one more haircut like that..meh

Robert De Niro's acting when he was actually his proper age was my highlight of the film, it saved the film, just.

A poor man's Goodfellows and about ten divisions below The Godfathers 1, 2 and even 3  

As Homer Simpson once said..it's easy being a film cricket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

96% on Rotten Tomatoes, that's pretty damn high for that site even.  Had a gander at the full cast, great casting it seems.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

I've been looking forward to this film for yonks.

I dunno what it is with me and films i look forward but they have been such a disappointment recently ( apart from Western Stars )

The thing they did with trying to make old blokes look young did not work, Robert De Niro is my favorite actor and always will be but, when he gave that bloke a kicking on the pavement it was cringeworthy, FFS handbags ! 

Steves bit was pointless, i just didn't see why the film needed one more haircut like that..meh

Robert De Niro's acting when he was actually his proper age was my highlight of the film, it saved the film, just.

A poor man's Goodfellows and about ten divisions below The Godfathers 1, 2 and even 3  

As Homer Simpson once said..it's easy being a film cricket.

Firstly, where is the Steve cameo? I totally missed it! Secondly, I agree totally with the DeNiro giving the bloke a kicking scene, it looks absolutely awful, and I'm amazed they never picked up on it. However...overall it was a lot better than I thought it would be. The deaging process isn't as bad as I feared, and I thought Pacino actually pulled a great performance out of the bag long after I thought it was passed him. Joe Pesci was great also. Even as an old guy he can carry menace. I don''t think Scorsese was going for something like Goodfellas, seemed to be more a film about regret and aging.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2019 at 10:38 PM, newcastle roy said:

Robert De Niro is my favorite actor and always will be but, when he gave that bloke a kicking on the pavement it was cringeworthy, FFS handbags ! 

I haven't watched The Irishman yet. Chose to stick Once Upon a Time in Hollywood on on Wednesday night instead given the choice between the two. 

However I saw this particular scene Roy mentions posted today on Twitter by an internet personality I follow. He called it "the worst scene in film history", and while I don't think it tops the one posted below, it's definitely lessened my desire to invest three and a half hours into watching the film.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I haven't watched The Irishman yet. Chose to stick Once Upon a Time in Hollywood on on Wednesday night instead given the choice between the two. 

However I saw this particular scene Roy mentions posted today on Twitter by an internet personality I follow. He called it "the worst scene in film history", and while I don't think it tops the one posted below, it's definitely lessened my desire to invest three and a half hours into watching the film.

 

I'm no film critic, but if you like Scorsese's work on Goodfellas and Casino, you'll like (most) of The Irishman. It's definitely worth watching, but I like gangster movies generally so...I may go back and watch Hoffa with Jack Nicholson now, just to compare. However, that scene is awful Think about, well take your pic, of any of the violent scenes in Goodfellas and it's clear Scorsese can do violence, but this is like something out of a comic strip. Where is the Steve cameo?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan on watching it tonight - after recently being obsessed with the series Friday Night Lights, can't believe I've waited so long to watch this gem, I'll watch anything with Jesse Plemmons.  He is almost precious ferchrissake.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, maccawings said:

Watched the Irishman last night on Netflix. Long but good. Massive cast

Saw it in the theatre the other night.  Long but good sums it up!   

Also started researching accuracies of the details...  from everything I read, it’s all pretty accurate.  

Need to see it again.  

11 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

Where is the Steve cameo?!

He was playing the singer Jerry Vale.  It was closer to the end, at the celebration when (I believe it was) the DeNiro character got an award.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Enjoyed the film and for me Al Pacino gave a great performance and was the standout.

Yes, great film but for me it was De Niro who was the standout.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great great film, and a brilliant book, too.

My only gripe would be the casting of Ray Romano.  He doesn't put a foot wrong but to me he's forever Ray Barone and I kept expecting him to say something funny.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Promise61 said:

He doesn't put a foot wrong but to me he's forever Ray Barone and I kept expecting him to say something funny.

Yeah, if actually took me a few minutes; but once I got into his character, and pushed Ray Barone out of my head, it was all good.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Enjoyed the film and for me Al Pacino gave a great performance and was the standout.

I'm with you oboogie, he was without a doubt my main highlight - astonishing, committed and wholly dedicated performance.  

Near perfection in fact.  Surprised me, probably coz I didn't hear any ravings prior to seeing the film how good he is.  

  • Love Love Love! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps because I only watched maybe a dozen episodes of Everybody Loves Raymond, if even that many—his mother was just waaaay too close for comfort for me to be able to enjoy the show much—he's not nearly as ingrained in my mind as that, although it is the first thing I think of whenever I see him. But the second thing is always, wow, he's really good. He was outstanding in the sadly not nearly as commercially successful as it should have been Men of a Certain Age, and great in The Big Sick. In fact, he's always good, and it always takes me by surprise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2019 at 10:39 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I haven't watched The Irishman yet. Chose to stick Once Upon a Time in Hollywood on on Wednesday night instead given the choice between the two. 

However I saw this particular scene Roy mentions posted today on Twitter by an internet personality I follow. He called it "the worst scene in film history", and while I don't think it tops the one posted below, it's definitely lessened my desire to invest three and a half hours into watching the film.

So I watched The Irishman tonight and I really enjoyed it. The scene mentioned above didn't ruin the film, but did knock off .25 of a rating in my review below. I've gotta say, what were a bunch of you doing to not spot Stevie? He's on loads! I've also decided for myself that he actually sang the Jerry Vale song, but Scorsese edited over him in post because "fuck that!". 

And also, Pacino is The Man. 

Reviewhttps://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2019/12/03/film-review-the-irishman-2019/

Oh, and because I mentioned Once Upon a Time in Hollywood in my post that I quoted, here's a review of that one too: https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2019/12/02/film-review-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-2019/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

 

And also, Pacino is The Man. 

 

Sorry, but Danny is The Man  B)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.