SoulBoogieAlex

The Irishman - Spoiler Alert - Don't Read If You Want to Be Surprised

On 12/2/2019 at 11:16 AM, riverdude2 said:

Yes, great film but for me it was De Niro who was the standout.

For me it was Pesci...

Excellent movie!

36 minutes ago, the imposter said:

For me it was Pesci...

Excellent movie!

Seeing Pesci (who I agree was great) again, reminded me to watch My Cousin Vinny again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, riverdude2 said:

Seeing Pesci (who I agree was great) again, reminded me to watch My Cousin Vinny again.

One of my all time favorites, often quoted, and guaranteed to make me laugh movies.  

As an aside, we saw and spoke with Ralph Macchio (not that he’d remember!) down in the Nets locker room (we got passes; it was turned into Bruce heaven...) night one of River ‘16 at Barclays.  Such a nice guy, and quite the Bruce fanatic! 

Back to the movie... 

I thought the entire cast was phenomenal.  

4 hours ago, riverdude2 said:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Nothing beats his 'Harry' in Home Alone.

Except that time Marv beat him with a crowbar.

For the record it took me a good while to recognize Stevo.  First thought, "who is this guy with the pomp?" then it came to me.

Not an actual vocal is it.  The character could soar baby!

Watched it on Netflix last night with mr jmw.  Absolutely brilliant and very long.  Only a couple of gripes - I didn't like the make-up/CGI thing (or whatever it's called).  I think it's a bit of a gimmick.  Just get younger actors to play the characters when they're young! A person in their 60s or 70s cannot move like a young person and I agree with @newcastle roy about handbags at dawn with the punch up outside the shop :lol: How many times did Bobby aim and miss?

Al Pacino reminded me so much of Stevie that Stevie could've played the role! Seriously, though, what an outstanding performance (Al, not Stevie).  Great to see Harvey Keitel and Pesci still managing to be menacing with just a nod of the head.  And Robert de Niro? First time I saw him was at the pictures years ago - it was either Mean Streets or Taxi Driver, I can't remember which - and although I admit to not seeing EVERY film he's made, I've held him in the highest esteem ever since.  This film confirms his greatness.  Even when he doesn't say anything.  On his way to get rid of Hoffa - you could feel his uneasiness just by his body language.

"It's what it is". ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Peterson said:

What an odd way to spell "Vinny" in My Cousin Vinny.

That's because I'm a colour blind, Welsh dyslexic, with a hint of Asperger's and a soupçon of Tourette's. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, janeymarywendy said:

Al Pacino reminded me so much of Stevie that Stevie could've played the role!

I thought he was Steve at first glance.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

I thought he was Steve at first glance.  

Same here. 

5 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Yeah that Joe Pesci sure is a funny guy

How the fuck is he funny?! What the fuck is so funny about him?!

Tell me, tell me what's funny!

• Haha 3

On 11/28/2019 at 5:38 PM, newcastle roy said:

I've been looking forward to this film for yonks.

I dunno what it is with me and films i look forward but they have been such a disappointment recently ( apart from Western Stars )

The thing they did with trying to make old blokes look young did not work, Robert De Niro is my favorite actor and always will be but, when he gave that bloke a kicking on the pavement it was cringeworthy, FFS handbags ! 

Steves bit was pointless, i just didn't see why the film needed one more haircut like that..meh

Robert De Niro's acting when he was actually his proper age was my highlight of the film, it saved the film, just.

A poor man's Goodfellows and about ten divisions below The Godfathers 1, 2 and even 3  

As Homer Simpson once said..it's easy being a film cricket.

I wouldn’t have noticed that was Steve if I wasn’t looking for him to be honest. I liked it but I won’t rewatch it any time soon. The last half hour was particularly depressing. I agree it does not compare to Goodfellas.

Also, did De Niro’s eyes bother anyone else? They were so artificially blue that it was distracting.