Greasy Lake Community

11/20/2009

JimCT

and an anniversary shout-out to this fine show, the penultimate one of the WOAD Tour

A small arena (less than 14k) and an amazing show. Full album Born to Run, so Meeting > Jungleland, and indeed, Clarence's last J-Land solo. A wonderful pre-show for me, as I got to meet IRL with @Skin2Skin, @misadventure, @Magnus - prob others, but people decamping for the GA line made for a little confusion (in my head, at least).

A strong performance start to finish. If you've never heard this one search it out, you won't be disappointed!

2009-11-20 - 1ST MARINER ARENA, BALTIMORE, MD

WRECKING BALL (with Curt Ramm) / PROVE IT ALL NIGHT / HUNGRY HEART / WORKING ON A DREAM / THUNDER ROAD / TENTH AVENUE FREEZE-OUT (with Curt Ramm) / NIGHT / BACKSTREETS / BORN TO RUN / SHE'S THE ONE / MEETING ACROSS THE RIVER (with Curt Ramm) / JUNGLELAND / WAITIN' ON A SUNNY DAY / SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT / GREEN ONIONS / SANTA CLAUS IS COMIN' TO TOWN / THE E STREET SHUFFLE (with Curt Ramm) / FOR YOU / RADIO NOWHERE / MY LOVE WILL NOT LET YOU DOWN / LONG WALK HOME / THE RISING / BADLANDS / RAMROD / HARD TIMES (COME AGAIN NO MORE) / LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS - PEOPLE GET READY / AMERICAN LAND (with Ali Weinberg and Curt Ramm) / DANCING IN THE DARK / ROSALITA (COME OUT TONIGHT) (with Curt Ramm) / (YOUR LOVE KEEPS LIFTING ME) HIGHER AND HIGHER (with Ali Weinberg and Curt Ramm) / GLORY DAYS

31-song set and 3 hours 20 minutes. Born To Run album performed and the first known Springsteen performance of "Green Onions" is used as the sign collection song. During "She's The One", Bruce sings a line from "Mona" before the outro. "For You" is the solo piano version. "American Land" includes a snippet of "Theme From Shaft" in the midsection. "Glory Days" includes the "Louie Louie" coda. Final performances of the tour for "Prove It All Night", "Night", "Backstreets", "She's The One", "Meeting Across the River", "Jungleland", "The E Street Shuffle", "Radio Nowhere", "Badlands", "Hard Times (Come Again No More)", "Land Of Hope And Dreams", and "Glory Days". "The E Street Shuffle", "For You", and "Radio Nowhere" are played by sign request. Curt Ramm plays trumpet on "Wrecking Ball", "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out", "Meeting Across The River", "The E Street Shuffle", "American Land" and "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher". Ali Weinberg guests, playing accordion on "American Land" and tambourine and backup vocals on "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher". Bruce's first Baltimore concert in over 36 years at the same venue he played at in 1973 - the Baltimore Civic Center, now renamed. Patti Scialfa is not present.

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1

It was said after the tour had ended this was a better, more intense show than Buffalo, with more a 'Last Dance' feel to it than Buffalo, which was a more fun show than Baltimore (nothing wrong with fun).

• Like 1

It was a great show, but I had seen too many shows in a row. I hadn't thought such a thing could happen, but the Tar Heels were playing and I checked the score a few times! Which I knew meant I had seen too many shows, because I could divert my attention in such a way. 

Now I won't see five or six shows in a row. I want my attention to be pure and focused. I don't think I deserve a seat if I am in any way jaded. Bruce deserves 100% because he gives more than that every night.

It was nice meeting you and your lovely wife, though. :)

Bruce mentions the last time he played in Baltimore was supporting Chicago and it cost 2 Dollars to get in. Some guy yelled at him ''Hey man we didn't come here to see you''. Bruce's reply was ''Oh yeah well the next time you do it's gonna cost 5 Dollars''. Great show.