Greasy Lake Community

No Grammy nominations for Western Stars or Springsteen on Broadway

24 minutes ago, The_Magic Rat said:

Absolutely ridiculous. Its the best and most consistent thing he has done in 30 years. 

Lets say most here agrees with your statement. (which I don't) What category would this album fit in? I'm thinking Country? I'm betting Country music experts are thinking it doesn't belong along with the acts nominated. 

Now I don't know shit about Country Music but here is the list Bruce would have needed to beat out. 

http://www.cmt.com/news/1814899/country-song-of-the-year-grammy-nominees-revealed/  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Lets say most here agrees with your statement. (which I don't) What category would this album fit in? I'm thinking Country? I'm betting Country music experts are thinking it doesn't belong along with the acts nominated. 

Now I don't know shit about Country Music but here is the list Bruce would have needed to beat out. 

http://www.cmt.com/news/1814899/country-song-of-the-year-grammy-nominees-revealed/  

guilting me into Tanya Tucker 

however after listening to country music for half of my life no one has every managed to capture and maintain my attention like Bruce 

in fact ive only been revisiting a little country lately purely because of the influence of western stars 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Me neither.  I like some here and there, but don’t know a lot about that genre. 

But I have a very good friend who is in a bluegrass/country band (she loves all music, and guest plays in other types of bands); well she absolutely 100% knows her stuff (and knows most of Bruce’s stuff well... she was at the Agora ‘78 show, and went to B’way w/me) considers WS a SUPERB country western album.  She flipped over the movie as well, and thought it was worthy of all sorts of awards.  

This isn’t the first time I’ve disagreed with award shows, and I’m sure it won’t be the last.  

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, rosiejaneymary said:

considers WS a SUPERB country western album.

Great post as always RJM! Can you ask your friend next time, if Bruce should be on the best album on the year award list or not? 

Come on Bruce has to beat out Tanya Turner. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Great post as always RJM! Can you ask your friend next time, if Bruce should be on the best album on the year award list or not? 

Come on Bruce has to beat out Tanya Turner. 

Thanks JJ!  

We are in contact a lot.  Shall ask next time we speak (if my old lady brain remembers :D).  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

It's not rocket science. It may be country tinged, but it's really just pop music.THAT'S the category: Pop. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Leo88 said:

Western Stars was in the Americana category. 

The nominated albums were:

Years To Burn — Calexico And Iron & Wine
Who Are You Now — Madison Cunningham
Oklahoma — Keb’ Mo’
Tales Of America — J.S. Ondara
Walk Through Fire — Yola

who are those other people anyway? :lol:

i know its always nice to be recognised by one's pairs but Bruce must know how much we all love this new album

he is one of the few fortunate um er 'older acts ' who's fan base still supports new music 

but i do agree with @gus

it sux he isn't even nominated 

35 minutes ago, Leo88 said:

Western Stars was in the Americana category. 

The nominated albums were:

Years To Burn — Calexico And Iron & Wine
Who Are You Now — Madison Cunningham
Oklahoma — Keb’ Mo’
Tales Of America — J.S. Ondara
Walk Through Fire — Yola

Well, if you wanted to be nominated in the Americans category, titling your album Tales of America is probably a good start.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

Well, if you wanted to be nominated in the Americans category, titling your album Tales of America is probably a good start.

I will say that Tales of America is a fantastic album, an eye-opening debut album for J.S. Ondara. Songs like "American Dream" and Lebanon" and "Television Girl" are definitely deserve to be heard.

Personally, it's higher up on my own list than Western Stars.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicholas said:

I will say that Tales of America is a fantastic album, an eye-opening debut album for J.S. Ondara. Songs like "American Dream" and Lebanon" and "Television Girl" are definitely deserve to be heard.

Personally, it's higher up on my own list than Western Stars.

Never heard of the artist or album, but I’m going to give it a listen. Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1