Sign in to follow this  
PaleGreenEyes

No Grammy nominations for Western Stars or Springsteen on Broadway

19 minutes ago, Pregnant Sally said:

Your memory must be shoddy.  

I had thought that Bruce had said before the start of some show on the WOAD tour after the Academy Awards, "Thanks for Nothing" 

And then again maybe it's a dream of mine. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy James said:

I had thought that Bruce had said before the start of some show on the WOAD tour after the Academy Awards, "Thanks for Nothing" 

Wasn't that back in 2003 when The Rising didn't win Album of the Year?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Remember when Jethro Tull won the Heavy Metal category one year over Metallica?  :wacko:

...or the fiasco when Metallica played with Lady Gaga a few years ago? Not because of Gaga, I like her, but how they were treated by the Grammys.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LeoGetz said:

Wasn't that back in 2003 when The Rising didn't win Album of the Year?

That maybe true also, don't know. I wasn't a follower back then. 

10 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

um...no Jim. He said "I'd like to thank absolutely fucking nobody" after The Rising didn't win....& I'm sure his attempt was to convey mock-anger/humour rather than actual anger. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

That maybe true also, don't know. I wasn't a follower back then. 

Whaa ...?...:blink:

I thought you'd at least been a fan since BiTUSA. You mean, you've only been on the train as long as some of the youngsters here?

Never forgiven the Grammy organisers for snubbing The Rising in favour of Norah Jones album. Interestingly Bruce has never won the top Grammy which is Album of the Year though he has of course won loads of "minor" Grammys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustDan said:

I agree with your 2nd paragraph. & by the way, does anybody here realize Springsteen has already won 23 Grammys in his career.....23 folks. That's more than the Beatles, Elvis or Sinatra. In fact, that's more than most of any of his peers. Been there-done that. Is it really a slap in the face, or even a snub if he wasn't nominated this year?  TJ is right. I don't get why people still take offense, or need to have their fandom validated by him winning more awards.

And I just realised my first paragraph is missing a very important “not”. It was NOT aimed at you. :)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JustDan said:

Whaa ...?...:blink:

I thought you'd at least been a fan since BiTUSA. You mean, you've only been on the train as long as some of the youngsters here?

I've been a fan since 1984, I hadn't been obsessed until 2008, so I guess yes.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I don't know how to take this Auntie? Are you being funny or not? 

Because if I remember, Bruce was plenty pissed when The Wrestler didn't win a Oscar.   

I bet he was irked. These things matter to him … hence all the running around, trying to get them all in his bag.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eileen said:

I bet he was irked. These things matter to him … hence all the running around, trying to get them all in his bag.

Well, I mean, every artist would like to be acknowledged for his/her art in some fashion I suppose. Every living being has a certain amount of vanity & ego that needs satisfying, but I don't think our turnpike troubadour is that insecure. I'm sure most of his validation as an artist has been affirmed through record and ticket sales, rather than awards. 

• Like 1

I reckon he'd like to be the Man At The Top. Or as near to it as possible.

And that's fine.

34 minutes ago, Eileen said:

I reckon he'd like to be the Man At The Top. Or as near to it as possible.

And that's fine.

Yes...yes I suppose you're right.

Could it not be that recognition for an album that is quite different from everything he has done before, is indeed important to Bruce (or for any artist who tries something different)? Where a nomination -or in fact not a nomination- for an album with the ESB, or a Devils & Dust-like 'solo' album, would be less important to him. Maybe. Or Maybe not.

i just would have enjoyer seeing him on tv getting his award 

9 hours ago, Tom-Joad said:

I know it sounds like I'm trying to be smart, but I honestly don't know why i would be nice. I can understand how it would be nice for a lesser known artist, it brings exposure. But why would it mean something for that particular group of people to distinguish a record or a song?

Also, although in the Past the awarded might have been artists we like more, I'm not sure these events were ever anything else but glorified marketing events. 

I do know what you’re saying. 

While I personally don’t think it diminishes the work if you don’t get a nomination or an award, I guess I do think it’s ‘nice’ as in it’s simply an acknowledgment that others admire something on which you’ve worked hard. 

Not everyone of course, but I think most people would feel good that their work got a nod like that.  And because I do care about Bruce I just think it would be nice for him. 

I agree that these awards are probably nothing more than glorified marketing events.  They’re certainly subjective based on the tastes of a small group of people.  

While I’m sure the artists are well aware of all of that; and I could be way off; but somehow on some level, no matter how small, I think those who are nominated and/or win do think it’s a nice thing.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i know its always nice to be recognised by one's pairs but Bruce must know how much we all love this new album

I would hope that the fans loving it means more to Bruce than any "glittering prizes".

The Country music world seems somewhat clique-ish to me. It's interesting that Keith Urban often wins in fan-voted categories, but he never wins in the other categories.

19 hours ago, JustDan said:

Beyonce's fans are up in arms because she was left out of being nominated in any major category.

Beyonce's fans seem to always be up in arms over some perceived slight. <_<

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Nicholas said:

I will say that Tales of America is a fantastic album, an eye-opening debut album for J.S. Ondara. Songs like "American Dream" and Lebanon" and "Television Girl" are definitely deserve to be heard.

Personally, it's higher up on my own list than Western Stars.

I’m listening to this right now and loving it. I really do appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

57 minutes ago, misty rain said:

I would hope that the fans loving it means more to Bruce than any "glittering prizes".

I hope so too; and I’d be shocked if this wasn’t the case.  When push comes to shove I believe Bruce knows what’s what. 

• Like 2

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/shania-twain-country-music-radio-stations-women-ageist

Shania Twain completing about agism in country music 

maybe this was Western stars problem ??

that maybe we ern't that going anymore

On 11/20/2019 at 5:08 PM, PaleGreenEyes said:

Bruce was snubbed completely this year, what the hell!

What the fuck is gannin' on there ?

These grannies should stick to knitting and eating boiled sweets and wearing screwy on hats and occasionally pumping and blaming  a grandchild.

• Haha 1