Greasy Lake Community

No one watches as the ambulance pulls away

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of Talk about a bad place to be.....

If pa's eyes were windows into a world so deadly and true You couldn't stop me from looking but you kept me from crawling through

“Is a dream a lie if it don’t come true or is it something worse”  

Posted Images

Three more, then I'm done as I (we) could go on all day B) I've just realised that I didn't answer the OP's question as to the reasons we love these lines so much.  I just think they're some of his best and can be read as poetry as well as put to music.  Lyrics come first with me (but of course, I love a catchy tune too).  If the words are good enough, I don't mind slow, dark, quiet music (as in Joad and D&D) that you can't dance to.

Anyway ...

On the side he's got Bound For Glory in red, white and blue flash paint. He leans on the hood telling racing stories, the kids call him Jimmy The Saint.

And she got lost in the days, the smile Raney depended on dusted away, the arms that held him were no more his own, he lay at night his head pressed to her chest, listening to the ghost in her bones.

The last ones are probably up there with my very favourite words ever where Bruce is concerned - the whole song really.  It's because I think they have a much deeper meaning than just a silly old complaint about a merry go round.

And you know that tilt-a-whirl down on the South Beach drag, I got on it last night and my shirt got caught, and they kept me spinning ... I didn't think I'd ever get off.

:wub:

• Like 6

My daddy said right before he died
That true, true love was just a lie
He went to his grave a broken heart
An unfulfilled life, makes a man hard

I cannot understand why this song is so maligned.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Bosstralian said:

If pa's eyes were windows into a world so deadly and true

You couldn't stop me from looking but you kept me from crawling through

I love that line. But didn't he at some point crawl through 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

But didn't he at some point crawl through 

No.  Not in my opinion, from the information we as fans have been given. 

He’s worked hard his whole life (along with the support of Patti and his mom) to not crawl through.  

• Like 1
22 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

And you know that tilt-a-whirl down on the South Beach drag, I got on it last night and my shirt got caught, and they kept me spinning ... I didn't think I'd ever get off.

I’ve always loved that line for personal reasons, as I rode the Tilt-a-Whirl down on the south beach drag a lot as a kid.  My shirt never got caught though!  

Photos from old photos... 

7A9A6F41-6456-483B-AA7C-E985E81CDA08.jpeg

537D74B0-57C6-48A3-9183-E5068A3ABEE2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 2

"You can hide 'neath your covers and study your pain, make crosses from your lovers, throw roses in the rain" or

"I catch him when he's strayin', teach him how to walk the line, man turns his back on his family, he ain't no friend of mine"

and every single line of Stolen Car

"And i'm driving a stolen car on a pitch black night and I'm telling myself I'm going to be all right, but I ride by night and I travel in fear

that in this darkness I will disappear"

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 2

This one always hits me straight in the heart; 

...and I think of a girlfriend of a young wife, and a state trooper knocking in the middle of the night and says ‘your baby died, in a wreck on the highway...’ 

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

I done my best now to live the right way, I get up every morning and go to work each day 

But your eyes go blind and your blood runs cold, sometimes i feel so weak i just wanna explode 

Explode and tear this whole town apart 

Take a knife and cut this pain from my heart 

Find somebody itching for something to start 

As a teen struggling with depressive thoughts, and being haunted by a feeling of never being able to find a rest or somewhere that i will just be able to relax and feel accepted this song hits very close to the heart, same with Dancing in the Dark and many others. 

Sometimes i feel like all the hope i have is a belief of a Promised Land somewhere and I'm damn well gonna find it. 

• Love Love Love! 1
On 11/24/2019 at 9:38 PM, Jimmy James said:

I love that line. But didn't he at some point crawl through 

Good question. I think he did.

23 minutes ago, Silvia said:

Good question. I think he did.

I believe he did too. Look at some of the lyric's posted here. 

At the start of the WS film: "if I loved you, I would hurt you". Now I know nothing about depression or metal illness in anyway. But this says a lot. I'm just glad he's over it. Or as best that can be done. I never thought i would ever say I've had a better life then Bruce, but I think I have.  

• Like 1

An excellent thread, which I have finally found time to catch up with!

My two to add - 'stares off alone into the night with the eyes of one who hates for just being born' and ' I lay awake in the middle of the night, making a list of things that I didn't do right'.

• Like 6
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
1 hour ago, red headed woman said:

Children are asking if its alright, will you be in our arms tonight

The whole song is beautiful but these two lines get me every time :(

the whole thing is a tear jerker all right :(

• Like 1
Now our luck may have died and our love may
Be cold but with you forever I'll stay
We're goin' out where the sand's turnin' to gold
So put on your stockin's 'cause the night's getting' cold and maybe everything dies
That's a fact but maybe everything that dies
Someday comes back
  • Like 5
  • Love Love Love! 2
1 hour ago, NJLeah said:
Now our luck may have died and our love may
Be cold but with you forever I'll stay
We're goin' out where the sand's turnin' to gold
So put on your stockin's 'cause the night's getting' cold and maybe everything dies
That's a fact but maybe everything that dies
Someday comes back

and then when he says 'yeah maybe someday' and looks up at the sky:(

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

'Had a coat of fine leather and snake skin boots but that coat always had a thread hanging loose, I pulled it one night and to my surprise...'

Perfectly sums up emptiness of acquisition and the continued longing for something more ethereal and sadly, how we can tire of our situation and our loved ones . How we seek and will always do so.

• Like 4
On 11/26/2019 at 4:13 AM, red headed woman said:

Children are asking if its alright, will you be in our arms tonight

A little girl in the school where I taught at the time lost her mom in the twin towers on 9/11.  She was in fourth grade at the time.  I think of her every time I hear these lines. 

• Love Love Love! 2
  • Sad 5

If i had a pound for everytime I've replied to threads about Bruce's best lyrics over the years here on the lake I'll probably have about £30 or £40 quid

and if i added up all the minutes i have used trying to quote those lyrics correctly, that's proberby about 2 or 3 hours

so, to save me a few hours i'll say.... all of them B)

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2
  • Haha 1

I love lots of things already posted above.  Here are a few others...just because I think he has a wonderful way with words. 

“It wasn't the cold river bottom I felt rushing over me
It wasn't the bitterness of a dream that didn't come true
It wasn't the wind in the grey fields I felt rushing through my arms
No, no, baby....baby, it was you.”

“And she’s so pretty that you’re lost in the stars” 

“Wrap your legs ‘round these velvet rims and strap your hands ‘cross my engines.” :D

• Like 4

"You inherit the sins, you inherit the flames."

Not my single favorite line because I have hundreds but Bruce's recent openness about his struggle with mental illness - and his youthful failure to understand his father's sickness - gives these lines a painful gravity. They feel more real than just about anything I've ever heard.

Jimmy James referenced Bruce's line from the Western Stars film "if I loved you, I would hurt you." Combine that with "Look dad, that guy on stage - that's how I see you" from Broadway. The picture is fully in focus now. We know what the sins are, and the flames.

"My father was my hero...and my greatest foe."

• Like 7